The UI on Q10 is not optimized for Q10's screen size. It's optimized for Z10's bigger screen. Too much space is taken-up by un-necessary design elements (large blue bar, large navigation buttons, un-necessary indentation etc.) and that leaves much less space for the actual "content".

For eg: number of "lines" of contacts you can see in Q10 screen is LESS than even BlackBerry Bold 9900! And BlackBerry Bold has smaller and lower-res screen. Yet, Bold 9900 shows more content per page.

Why can't BlackBerry optimize UI for Q10 as well? Is 10.2 going to contain such UI optimizations?

Also, my second biggest issue with Q10 is that for a QWERTY device, "text editing" features are lacking. They are at par with touch-screen phones. But this is QWERTY device and people get it because among many things they like to be able to QUICKLY edit text (select text, copy text, paste text) in all kinds of situations (text in browser, text in apps, text in error messages, text in emails, text in sms messages etc. -- all text should be EASILY selectable and copy/pastable). The text-positioning BUBBLE is also kind of inconsistent. It does not MAGNIFY text underneath and it becomes difficult to see where exactly you are taking the cursor.

Are fixes to such issues going to be contained in 10.2 OS?

See my signature for link to two threads that contain lots of "FEATURE REQUESTS" for BlackBerry 10.2 and beyond. I hope these FEATURE REQUESTS get prioritized and released < 1 month. This is what is going to keep EXISTING BB10 users happy and this is what is going to attract new users/customers.

Team BlackBerry, please, you give us what 'we' are telling you what we want; and not what you think what we want.
    06-29-13 01:03 PM
    I'd have to say those are all valid points and requests.
    06-29-13 03:32 PM
    The UI on Q10 is not optimized for Q10's screen size. It's optimized for Z10's bigger screen. Too much space is taken-up by un-necessary design elements (large blue bar, large navigation buttons, un-necessary indentation etc.) and that leaves much less space for the actual "content".

For eg: number of "lines" of contacts you can see in Q10 screen is LESS than even BlackBerry Bold 9900! And BlackBerry Bold has smaller and lower-res screen. Yet, Bold 9900 shows more content per page.

Why can't BlackBerry optimize UI for Q10 as well? Is 10.2 going to contain such UI optimizations?

Also, my second biggest issue with Q10 is that for a QWERTY device, "text editing" features are lacking. They are at par with touch-screen phones. But this is QWERTY device and people get it because among many things they like to be able to QUICKLY edit text (select text, copy text, paste text) in all kinds of situations (text in browser, text in apps, text in error messages, text in emails, text in sms messages etc. -- all text should be EASILY selectable and copy/pastable). The text-positioning BUBBLE is also kind of inconsistent. It does not MAGNIFY text underneath and it becomes difficult to see where exactly you are taking the cursor.

Are fixes to such issues going to be contained in 10.2 OS?

See my signature for link to two threads that contain lots of "FEATURE REQUESTS" for BlackBerry 10.2 and beyond. I hope these FEATURE REQUESTS get prioritized and released < 1 month. This is what is going to keep EXISTING BB10 users happy and this is what is going to attract new users/customers.

Team BlackBerry, please, you give us what 'we' are telling you what we want; and not what you think what we want.
    All true, and I think the reason for this is the fact that BlackBerry's initial strategic decision with BB10 was to abandon the hardware keyboard in favour of their new virtual keyboard.

They worked extremely hard on this prior to BB10 launch, but promptly backtracked at the last moment. As such, BB10 is optimised for completely different hardware.
    06-29-13 03:37 PM
    Some of the issues raised could have been avoided or at least reduced if Blackberry had focused on creating a portrait or landscape slider with a full-sized (4" to 4.5") screen rather than focusing on a Bold/Curve form factor for their first physical keyboard BB 10 device.

Two other thoughts:

1) IMO, Blackberry should have never released the Q10, or at least positioned it as a high-end device. They should have positioned the aforementioned portrait and/or landscape slider device(s) as their high end physical keyboard smartphone(s), and filled the smaller screen, bar with physical keyboard form factor niche with a lower cost device (i.e. what became the Q5). It isn't 2007 anymore, and mobile web browsing (whether it be through installed applications or the device's web browser) is just as important if not more important as efficient e-mail functionality (the latter of which doesn't require a particularly large screen).

2) I personally think there is a bigger market out there for physical keyboard smartphones, but hardware manufacturers have been deluded by the success of the iPhone and iPhone imitators (which in terms of form factor is most smartphones) and Blackberry's relative failure in the past with larger-screened, physical keyboard devices into thinking people don't want physical keyboards. IMO, many people still want physical keyboards on their pocket computers (i.e. smartphones) but they want it on a device that works well (i.e. not pre-Android 4.x devices that lag badly or pre-Blackberry 10 OS devices that require frequent battery pulls), has a larger screen, and a modern mobile OS.
    06-29-13 04:00 PM
    Screen size is what will hold the Q10 and Q5 back in sales.

Should of made the display larger. Or a slider.

They keep doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

Q5 owners must hear "oh, you have a BlackBerry ".

Z10 owners hear "that's a blackberry?!".

Execution of launch and marketing was lacking with the Z10.

We shall see if marketing and "candy bar phone love" will help sell the Q10/5.

To a Droid or IPhone user buying a candy bar phone is not appealing.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    06-29-13 05:11 PM