Despite the fact that it was my first reaction, I'm not going to pile on the "RIM is dead, stick a fork in them" train; I'm going to go with what my second thought was when reading the news of the delay.

I believe that with the latest delay, simply "perfect" won't be enough to save BB10, and by extension, RIM. My definition of "perfect" in this instance means relatively bug free, and a competitive, fully modern phone OS.

I believe that "perfect," as I've defined it above, will be enough to slow, but not reverse, RIM's decline. Some of the BlackBerry faithful will buy into the platform for one or two replacement cycles, but it won't win over the droves of customers required to buoy RIM's position in the marketplace.

What BB10 is going to require is a killer feature, something that will be instantly recognizable as indispensable, but not currently available on other platforms, and sufficiently complex that it takes these other platforms a year or more to duplicate. In short, it will need to be to iOS, Android, and Win8 Phone what the iPhone was to other smartphones in 2007. It has to be something sufficiently amazing to tempt users away from their current phone OS. I don't believe that either the new keyboard, or the "flow" or whatever are revolutionary enough (honestly, "flow" seems really gimmicky to me).

What I can't predict is what such a feature would be. I was thinking of something along the lines of instant and seamless integration with both Windows and Mac, something along the lines of Bridge. However, I'm dubious as to the workability of something like this, and I don't think it's sexy enough anyway.

So, here's the question: what do you all think could be the killer feature that could save BB10? What have all the world's smartphone users been waiting for, but didn't know it?
    06-28-12 08:35 PM
    I just hope bb10 can make better poached eggs than my 9900.darn thing always overcooks 'em..makes it hard to dip toast in the yolk...although os7 does make pretty good toast...
    seanmccloskey likes this.
    06-28-12 11:32 PM
    There is no killer feature.

There is absolutely nothing that RIM could possibly cook up given infinite resources that would pull people back. No such thing exists. Let's pretend BB10 is everything and more the CrackBerry Nation has been waiting for - no one cares. It's too late, game over, case closed.

Most people are already carrying around a 4" computer that does everything they want and more at incredible speeds (quad-cores with gigs of RAM) - will welcome you all soon.
    06-29-12 12:09 AM
    There is no killer feature.

There is absolutely nothing that RIM could possibly cook up given infinite resources that would pull people back. No such thing exists. Let's pretend BB10 is everything and more the CrackBerry Nation has been waiting for - no one cares. It's too late, game over, case closed.

Most people are already carrying around a 4" computer that does everything they want and more at incredible speeds (quad-cores with gigs of RAM) - will welcome you all soon.
    So, no need for people like you to stick around here anymore, eh? It's a waste of your time.
    06-29-12 12:13 AM
    A Killer App needs to be something that not even the late Steve Jobs could have come up with as an innovative idea.
    06-29-12 12:19 AM
    So, no need for people like you to stick around here anymore, eh? It's a waste of your time.
    10 - 15% of my app profits still come from the BlackBerry App World, it's slowly decreasing with the number of users leaving the platform though. I do keep myself updated with all of the platforms though - currently have no plans of porting any of my newer apps to BB10 or develop PB / BB10 specific apps until I see success in these platforms.
    06-29-12 12:21 AM
    I think there strength will be if they can leap frog Skype, Facebook, Twitter and MSN with their BBM messaging platform.

One app that does it all, efficiently, quickly and of a really high quality? I know people will say well I don't use BBM but you know what RIM needs to distinguish itself as a true communications tool again and they have email already so this would be the next big thing.
    06-29-12 12:22 AM
    Oh and another thing they could do which Android has been doing is tying in with other manufacturers that specialize in certain areas.

Sound systems they could go Boston Acoustics(not Bose, Bose sucks), for camera they could tie in with Nikon. Thats a street cred thing but its using the brand image from a stronger company to boost their own as the pioneer and leader in the mobile communication sector.
    06-29-12 12:26 AM
    I'm very disappointed after hearing BB10 won't be out til Q1. Incomplete or complete, lets move these technology out so at least there's something the fans can critique and enjoy in the mean time. Perfection can come after with updates.

With news like this Blackberry will continue to bleed as people are leaving by the dove. I don't think there's anything that RIM can do now to stop the bleeding and by the time BB10 comes out, there won't be any supporters left. People will view Blackberry as a thing of the past.

I've been a fan for a long time and from experience Blackberry is nothing but a waiting game. Wait to the point that they will announce another wait. I want to know what are the management team at RIM thinking? If they are going to cut down 5000 jobs, I sure hope it's management because engineers are the heart of technology company.
    Last edited by thymaster; 06-29-12 at 01:00 AM.
    Yaceka likes this.
    06-29-12 12:54 AM
    Here's the problem as I see it; today's perfection is tomorrow's irrelevance. Time is not on your side in a fast-paced industry. If you don't already have next year's model feature set locked down, it is already too late to talk about perfecting it and getting it out on time.

I believe this is why Apple shipped Siri even as a beta. It wasn't perfect. Even so, look how far it allowed them to advance the ball. Look at how it changed the conversation, overnight. Look at how everyone is scrambling to respond. Had they waited until synthetic, plain language parsing was perfect, it wouldn't have been released until after someone had already released a thought wave input system.

The BB10 phone RIM envisions may have meant something last year. Next year, the features will be meaningless, if they are not already. Who cares if they are perfect by then. Apple will, no doubt, announce something new with the next iPhone that the industry will have to respond to, and RIM will be behind yet another cycle. The situation is untenable.
    06-29-12 02:25 AM
    About the killer feature, that would just be shipping, at this point. RIM is not sitting on some killer feature that has not been leaked that would changed their fortunes. They would have to buy it. They don't really have a lot of money for acquisitions. If they did throw their last dollars at magic beans, they would have to take a lot of time integrating the new thing into the OS. More delays. Death. There is no killer feature they could afford either in money or time. They just need to ship.
    06-29-12 02:32 AM
    Here's the problem as I see it; today's perfection is tomorrow's irrelevance. Time is not on your side in a fast-paced industry. If you don't already have next year's model feature set locked down, it is already too late to talk about perfecting it and getting it out on time.

I believe this is why Apple shipped Siri even as a beta. It wasn't perfect. Even so, look how far it allowed them to advance the ball. Look at how it changed the conversation, overnight. Look at how everyone is scrambling to respond. Had they waited until synthetic, plain language parsing was perfect, it wouldn't have been released until after someone had already released a thought wave input system.

The BB10 phone RIM envisions may have meant something last year. Next year, the features will be meaningless, if they are not already. Who cares if they are perfect by then. Apple will, no doubt, announce something new with the next iPhone that the industry will have to respond to, and RIM will be behind yet another cycle. The situation is untenable.
    Siri sounds like silly in some accents which I will not identify. But it looks like Apple is gathering data to train the system. Looks like Apple is learning from Google.
    06-29-12 02:33 AM
    RIM doesn't have a killer feature for BB10. They don't even have a functioning OS available yet, why would they have something no other company has?

And it doesn't matter how "perfect" BB10 is when it's released. A 2013 release is too late. No-one will wait except for the RIM sheep.

Time to face the facts. It's over.
    06-29-12 04:53 AM
    it is deeply disappointing.

there isn't going to be a pie left from which to partake of a slice by the time BB arrives at the table.

i'm sure it will be good, and i'll probably buy one, but i'll do it knowing that it is a dieing platform (Nokia N9 user here).
    06-29-12 05:00 AM
    It will not be perfect OP and there isn't anything RIM can do to make it bug free you and I both know it. I am so mad God this pissez me off.
    06-29-12 05:02 AM
    RIM doesn't have a killer feature for BB10. They don't even have a functioning OS available yet, why would they have something no other company has?

And it doesn't matter how "perfect" BB10 is when it's released. A 2013 release is too late. No-one will wait except for the RIM sheep.

Time to face the facts. It's over.
    I beg to differ. There is a functioning OS. There was a review on it about 2 weeks earlier, where someone managed to play with a full BB10 phone with email, keyboard, music player and such.

RIM just wants to perfect their OS rather than launch something half-cooked. Here are two scenarios:

Scenario 1:
    RIM delays launch to perfect the OS.
    Outcome: The masses complain that RIM lied and that they are tired of waiting for a perfect BB.

Scenario 2:
    RIM launches a half-cooked OS but on time as promised
    Outcome: The masses complain that RIM lied and that they are tired of waiting for a perfect BB.

Whatever RIM does, there will be trolls out there who will just complain for the sake of complaining. Yes, I agree that RIM has rolled back on their promise to launch BB10 by 2012. But what was their intention? To complete the OS so that it is awesome when it launches.
    06-29-12 05:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD