So more by accident an iphone5 32gb has landed in my lap, i've set up my IMAP IDLE hosted account on it and there's no push in sight, just "Fetch" settings for it.

Where are all those people that told me for years the iphone has push for IMAP?

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 01:41 PM
    Gmail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    10-19-13 01:54 PM
    Gmail?

Gmail is just fetch also, no push setting.
    10-19-13 01:58 PM
    If you want GMAIL to push on an iPhone you have to download a separate GMAIL App. The concept of it is stupid but the Gmail App is great and much better than just regular push through Apple anyway.

Posted with my Z10 or my Q10 on Verizon from Philly
    10-19-13 01:59 PM
    Oh yeah, also depending on your model there is a glitch. When I has the iPhone 5, if you had Weather in the notification center it put all email on Fetch. So you had to remove weather, setup your emails, then put weather back in. Never got an explanation why and they never fixed it. Haven't had an iPhone since the 5 and was only testing for work but we stayed with BlackBerry so not sure about 5c or 5s or iOS7.

10-19-13 02:03 PM
    So am I getting this right? IMAP IDLE is not push on iOS? Mine definitely isn't.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 02:24 PM
    So am I getting this right? IMAP IDLE is not push on iOS? Mine definitely isn't.

Posted via CB10

iOS does not support IMAP idle natively, there are some workarounds utilizing exchange that are entirely dependent on your email provider.

10-19-13 02:37 PM
    iOS does not support IMAP idle natively, there are some workarounds utilizing exchange that are entirely dependent on your email provider.

Soooo, again, where are all those people that have been telling me for years iPhones have push email? The only push email they have is exchange, not even imap idle, which BB had for years, on BIS and now on BB10.
    BravoZuluDelta likes this.
    10-19-13 02:46 PM
    Shouldn't you be posting this question on iMore? You'll probably get a more informed answer there.

Posted via CB10
    graylingboy likes this.
    10-19-13 02:49 PM
    Shouldn't you be posting this question on iMore? You'll probably get a more informed answer there.

Posted via CB10
    It wouldn't be nice for a BlackBerry user to go to another device's site to point out their shortcomings and flaunt our features...would it?

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-19-13 03:10 PM
    I am 100% certain that Yahoo accounts push on the iPhone

10-19-13 04:18 PM

Indeed it does push but the point is imap idle doesn't.
    10-19-13 04:42 PM
    There are several apps that support true IMAP IDLE on iPhone, such as Sparrow. Android also requires an app if I understand it. Additionally, not all IMAP servers support it. They need to be configured and the right version. I have never heard users state the iPhone natively supports IMAP IDLE. I have seen numerous posters claim it has push through EAS, which is 100% true. You are trying too hard to make a point like you were lied to, or the iPhone is inferior despite what people say, etc. Get another phone if you are upset, such as a BB that supports true IDLE.
    E92Vancouver likes this.
    10-19-13 08:01 PM

Do you know what method it uses to do this? I'd love to try to get Yahoo to push on my Q10.
    10-19-13 08:13 PM
    There are several apps that support true IMAP IDLE on iPhone, such as Sparrow. Android also requires an app if I understand it. Additionally, not all IMAP servers support it. They need to be configured and the right version. I have never heard users state the iPhone natively supports IMAP IDLE. I have seen numerous posters claim it has push through EAS, which is 100% true. You are trying too hard to make a point like you were lied to, or the iPhone is inferior despite what people say, etc. Get another phone if you are upset, such as a BB that supports true IDLE.
    I don't think the OP is upset. He's just wondering why people would say the iPhone has push email if it does not. You're turning this into something it's not.

"Better a broken promise than none at all" (Mark Twain). Remember that, complainers. Via Q10.
    10-19-13 08:16 PM
    I don't think the OP is upset. He's just wondering why people would say the iPhone has push email if it does not. You're turning this into something it's not.

"Better a broken promise than none at all" (Mark Twain). Remember that, complainers. Via Q10.
    Hope you are right. It does have push email.
    10-19-13 08:37 PM
    Hope you are right. It does have push email.
    It doesn't for pop, imap or imap idle email accounts. Android might be different.

And Btw, why would I be upset? An iphone 5 32gb did land on my lap ie free

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 02:38 AM
    iPhone has never supported IMAP idle. I don't know who told you it did, but it never had that feature. There were workarounds some people used on jailbroken iPhones where they altered the plist to change the fetch time to like 1 second, but obviously that had the really detrimental effect of killing battery life.
    10-20-13 02:47 AM
    If you want GMAIL to push on an iPhone you have to download a separate GMAIL App. The concept of it is stupid but the Gmail App is great and much better than just regular push through Apple anyway.

The Gmail app is nice and all, but it takes way too long to start up. I don't use it any more for that reason.
    10-20-13 02:48 AM
    Gmail is just fetch also, no push setting.
    It's too late for you, but before it was possible to set up Gmail as an Exchange account. Those who had it set up before the cutoff got to keep the feature.
    10-20-13 02:52 AM
    iPhone has never supported IMAP idle. I don't know who told you it did, but it never had that feature. There were workarounds some people used on jailbroken iPhones where they altered the plist to change the fetch time to like 1 second, but obviously that had the really detrimental effect of killing battery life.
    So we can safely say the iphone doesn't have push email except for when exchange is available rather then say it does have push except for pop, imap or imap idle, correct?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 02:52 AM
    It's too late for you, but before it was possible to set up Gmail as an Exchange account. Those who had it set up before the cutoff got to keep the feature.
    Gmail is not my worry, that's just a personal email, my hosted imap idle email accounts that I use for work are a worry. I'll probably just run it as an iPod touch.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 02:54 AM
    So we can safely say the iphone doesn't have push email except for when exchange is available rather then say it does have push except for pop, imap or imap idle, correct?

Posted via CB10
    No, it also works with Yahoo and whatever protocol they use. It also works with iCloud.
    10-20-13 02:58 AM
    No, it also works with Yahoo and whatever protocol they use. It also works with iCloud.
    Aren't those activesync/exchange? Icloud as far as I know is.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 03:06 AM
    Aren't those activesync/exchange? Icloud as far as I know is.

Posted via CB10
    iCloud is not EAS. It uses Apple's own push notification system. On other devices other than iPhone/iPad/iPod, you have to set it up as IMAP. Yahoo also uses their own proprietary system. You can't set up either as an EAS account on iDevices.
    10-20-13 03:15 AM
48 12