Misleading title probably but a question to ask all the same.

Im gonna be making a visit over to the states early next year and am wondering if ;

1) I buy a sim free berry over there, will i get all the usual functionality out of it using a Vodafone UK sim?

2) Where would be the best place to purchase a new berry?

Hopefully the 9700 will be available by the time I come over so am interested in getting one whilst there?

Also If any fellow crackberryonians (its a word), are in the local are when i visit (orlanda and tampa), fancy meeting up maybe and giving the guided tour?
    10-07-09 09:43 AM
    Im gonna be making a visit over to the states early next year and am wondering if ;

1) I buy a sim free berry over there, will i get all the usual functionality out of it using a Vodafone UK sim?
    Yeah it should work, but if you use your Voda SIM in the US you'll get hit with roaming charges.
    10-07-09 10:06 AM
    I would imagine that you'd have to unlock your phone prior to coming over to the states to use a SIM from a different provider (i.e. AT&T, T-Mobile). Once you have done this you shouldn't loose any functionality once you get a SIM from another provider.

I would think you would have to do the same if you came over here and picked up a 9700 (if they're out) and wanted to use it on Vodafone over in the UK. You'll probably have to unlock it before heading across the pond...
    10-07-09 12:40 PM
    I would think you would have to do the same if you came over here and picked up a 9700 (if they're out) and wanted to use it on Vodafone over in the UK. You'll probably have to unlock it before heading across the pond...
    I think that's more what he was talking about. Buying an unlocked Berry in the US, and using his existing Voda SIM.
    10-07-09 02:42 PM
    May I ask why you'd want to buy a BB from the US? Its no cheaper...so unless its a model that the UK doesn't offer, I'm not sure why you'd want to

Why not buy it from UK, unlock it, use it in the US with a Paygo sim and call it a day? Using your Voda sim in the US would kill you on roaming charges

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-09 03:37 PM
    well voda uk have abolished roaming charges so i dont think i would pay over excessively for its use.

and SMNC you are right, that was the intention, buying unlocked over there to use over here.

and remoteunlocker, ive looked at a few prices and i think i could get a berry over there for 50 quid less (about $90 i think) that over here. And not a lot of the top range berries are for sale without a long contract over here so buying SIM free brand new isnt really an option.

And the 9700 (if out) may not be released over here. If it is chances are we will get it a good 6 months after you guys. so i wouldnt mind having something exclusive for a few months before the masses follow suit!

what does a bold cost these days anyway, sim free?
    10-08-09 05:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD