OK,
    I just got my first Blackberry (storm) and I love it when it works, but I find myself cracking the case to pull the battery out 1-3 times per day. Looking at some of the discussions here, it appears this is "normal." Do we really accept a high-end expensive device like this that is so bad at handling memory that it cannot go a day without a forced reboot?

Also, if I decide to keep it, is there any way to do this without actually opening the case? I have tried the quick-pull application, but it doesn't like the touch screen input and I have given up on it.
    09-26-09 08:17 AM
    Quick pull would be the only way unless there's another app out there ... With the storm I know people have less problems with the newer os so maybe give that a try?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-09 09:37 AM
    That is not normal, not at all.

The only time you should have to resort to a battery pull, or use Quickpull, is to correct a device failure. Once or twice a year is normal.

What are the symptoms that are behind that?
    09-26-09 09:55 AM

The only time you should have to resort to a battery pull, or use Quickpull, is to correct a device failure. Once or twice a year is normal.

Once or twice a year????are you sure?lol.....what about resetting memory?I'm sure you don't just only do tha once or twice a year right?

09-26-09 09:59 AM
    Seriously, yes.

There is no need to reset memory, that is done by Sun Java and it automatic memory management. My Pearl had an uptime of nearly 6 months the last time I forced a restart.

The only time you have to manualy reset for memory is when the available memory falls to, or below, the Media / Options / Device Memory Limit.

The Storm has 128 Mb of memory, Tour has 256 Mb, that is enough for a lot of third party applications and tons of data.
    09-26-09 10:02 AM
    Once or twice a year????are you sure?lol.....what about resetting memory?I'm sure you don't just only do tha once or twice a year right?

I have to wonder what you mean by resetting memory? Memory is by nature reusable and doesn't need to be power cycled to work continuously.

I power cycle about once every 2 or 3 weeks but that's because I like to re calibrate the battery meter which can start to get less accurate over time. Doesn't happen too often with BlackBerry's though.

09-26-09 10:05 AM
    Ok...what's the device reserved memory limit?I had a curve 8330 and memory could get to 0.....so what's gives?and I also belive for me at least,when my tour falls below 70mb (maybe after a week.),sluggishness start to set in.

09-26-09 10:10 AM
    Seriously, yes.

There is no need to reset memory, that is done by Sun Java and it automatic memory management. My Pearl had an uptime of nearly 6 months the last time I forced a restart.

The only time you have to manualy reset for memory is when the available memory falls to, or below, the Media / Options / Device Memory Limit.

The Storm has 128 Mb of memory, Tour has 256 Mb, that is enough for a lot of third party applications and tons of data.
    I thought he just ment reseting the phone .. If he has a ton of apps on the phone he may need to buy not 3 times a day no for sure... Is the device actually freezing or just slow?

09-26-09 10:12 AM
    Yea that was what I meant too....he could be doing it because his memory gets low and sluggish start to set in.but 1to 3 times a day is not normal.but for me resetting the phone should be done more than once or twice a year

09-26-09 10:18 AM

It gets sluggish and then stops responding all together. I have loaded some apps on it. When it starts to get sluggish, I have examined the memory and it is usually down to less than a meg of "application memory." After the battery pull, I have over 13 megs of app memory.
    09-26-09 10:21 AM
    Ok...what's the device reserved memory limit?I had a curve 8330 and memory could get to 0.....so what's gives?and I also belive for me at least,when my tour falls below 70mb (maybe after a week.),sluggishness start to set in.

I have edited the original post.

Media / Options / Device Memory Limit. Prior to v4.5xx that was selectable between 12 and 15 Mb, since that 5 Mb is the lower limit. This is memory reserved for media playback.

Managing and optimizing memory was critical on the first generation 64 Mb Pearl and Curve. If your Curve was experiencing a low memory condition, you likley had your pre-installed samples still present and had not optimized your memory. It happened a lot.

I won't comment on your perceived sluggishness at 70 Mb, other then to say, that is more memory then my Pearl has in total.
    09-26-09 10:23 AM
    It gets sluggish and then stops responding all together. I have loaded some apps on it. When it starts to get sluggish, I have examined the memory and it is usually down to less than a meg of "application memory." After the battery pull, I have over 13 megs of app memory.
    Less then 1 Mb of memory is well under the limit and definitely the source of your problem.

You are in need of some serious Memory Optimization.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    09-26-09 10:27 AM
    I think this is all due to sketchy 3rd party applications you have installed. If they are causing this then no amount of optimization will help.

Can you provide a complete list of applications you have installed?

09-26-09 12:17 PM
    OK,
    I just got my first Blackberry (storm) and I love it when it works, but I find myself cracking the case to pull the battery out 1-3 times per day. Looking at some of the discussions here, it appears this is "normal." Do we really accept a high-end expensive device like this that is so bad at handling memory that it cannot go a day without a forced reboot?

Also, if I decide to keep it, is there any way to do this without actually opening the case? I have tried the quick-pull application, but it doesn't like the touch screen input and I have given up on it.
    what OS version on your storm? quickpull, u need to disable compatibility mode in options > advanced > applications
    09-26-09 12:25 PM
    That could cause a huge problem if there are apps interfering with eachother or the os

09-26-09 12:26 PM
    I think this is all due to sketchy 3rd party applications you have installed. If they are causing this then no amount of optimization will help.

Can you provide a complete list of applications you have installed?

Here is the complete list of Apps. I know some of these are blackberry apps, but I thought it better to include everything.

Amazon.com 1.0.20
    AP News 2.5.5
    App Store 1.04.165
    baby GO! 1.0
    Blackberry 4.7 Core Applications 4.7
    Blackberry 4.7 System Software 4.7
    Blackberry App World 1.1.0.15
    Blackberry Application Center 4.7.0
    Blackberry Attachment Service 4.7.0
    Blackberry Maps 4.7.0
    Blackberry Messenger 4.7.0
    Blackberry S/MIME Support 4.7.0
    Bloomberg Mobile 1.9.8.1
    Browser 4.7.0
    BusinessWeek 3.0.0.95
    CBLauncher 2.0.3.5
    com_plazmic_theme_iberry_bootom_Dock 2009.02.18.1302
    Currency Converter Pro 2.0
    Documents To Go 1.006.052
    ECOE 1.1.1.5
    Email Setup Application 4.7.0
    Enhanced Gmail(TM) Plug-in 1.0.0.49
    Facebook 1.6.0.21
    FileScout 1.2.0.0
    Flight Path 1.11
    Frugalytics Shopping for Smart People 1.1
    Google Maps 3.0.2
    Google Sync 0.5.15
    Google Talk 2.2.39
    Google Voice 0.1.5
    GT Battleship 1.0
    GVdialer 3.22
    Help 4.7.0
    Ka-Glom - Free 1.2.1
    Leave It On 1.41
    Level 1.0.1
    logMaid 0.4
    MemoPad 4.7.0
    Mobiolaad 2.5
    OpenTable 1.0
    Opera Mini 4.2
    Phone 4.7.0
    SharkModem 2.4
    Tasks 4.7.0
    Thomson Reuters News Pro 2.5.6
    Tiltris 1.4.090206
    WeatherBug 1.0.0.325
    YouTube 1.6.10
    09-26-09 04:58 PM
    OK,

Yep get Quickpull it really improved the memory on my bold

09-26-09 05:04 PM
    Yep get Quickpull it really improved the memory on my bold

Quickpull doesnt improve memory, it just restarts the device.

From experience low ram is the one that slows down the device, not app memory. They share the same flash memory, but they are allocated differently, me thinks XD
    Last edited by gbsn; 09-26-09 at 05:23 PM.
    09-26-09 05:18 PM
    Ummmm, 13 at start with a storm? I have 23 with a curve 8320. You need to ditch some apps, that doesn't seem right to be at 13 to start.

09-26-09 07:46 PM
    How many apps do you have open at one time when it gets sluggish?
    09-27-09 06:09 AM
    Are you closing out of your apps, or are they running in the background? To check, press and hold the BB button (second from left).

Be sure to CLOSE, by pressing the BB button and selecting CLOSE or EXIT from the menu.

Quickpull should work on your Storm. You may need to disable "Compatibility Mode" though.

Either way, you shouldn't have to be doing a battery pull once a day, let alone 3 times a day!

What OS are you running on your Storm? Verizon's 4.7.0.148 was known for not managing memory well at all. You may want to consider getting .151 installed.
    09-27-09 07:24 AM
    Definitely sounds like two things going on:

1) Too many apps installed. You probably want to have at least 20MB free after a battery pull. Storm apps can be larger, since they can have more graphics and such. More free memory to begin with will let them run smoother.

2) It also sounds like apps aren't getting closed. You can bring up the App Switcher by holding down the Menu button. That will show you what is running in the background. Make sre you are closing out apps you are no longer using.
    09-27-09 08:48 AM
    my storm battery seems to run out in a day very easily, even when on stand by!
    is it a storm problem universally or is it my storm battery issue?
    09-27-09 08:58 AM
    @reed

Is that possible? I have a curve 8320 that starts with around 14 file free. Using the bb, closing apps, opening, browsing, etc brings it down. At the end of the day, even with all closed app, its down to around 10. How can you go 6 months w/o going down to 0 file free?

09-27-09 01:27 PM
    Your observation of memory use is typical. Sun Java vm will use and recycle memory as needed for optimum preformance.

As long as your file free is greater the the Device Reserved Memory, the automatic memory management does it job in the background. There in no need to micromange your memory.
    09-27-09 03:54 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD