I saw on twitter that WestJet has released their long overdue and much anticipated mobile app. Unfortunately, they only offer it for iOS and Android :-( Granted, that you can install the Android version via Snap on to BB10 devices, as I have done. However I still think the vast majority of BlackBerry users are still unaware of Snap or even Android app compatibility on BB10 devices. I find it very sad and frustrating that a company such as WestJet, which touts itself as "Proudly Canadian", to the point of even painting that claim on the side of every plane in their fleet, chooses not to support Canada's BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Icarus3000, fanisk, rai187 and 4 others like this.
    05-23-14 08:01 AM
    Sad indeed. World is all about money. Everything else is sacrificed at the altar of costs and profits. Ah well.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 08:09 AM
    I will never fly Westjet again

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 08:32 AM
    I will never fly Westjet again

Posted via CB10
    Not sure if sarcasm or just crazy...
    05-23-14 08:38 AM
    Sad indeed. World is all about money. Everything else is sacrificed at the altar of costs and profits. Ah well.

Posted via CB10
    They aren't a charity. They're a corporation whose goal is to maximize profits for share holders. I can't really blame them for not making a BB10 app.
    05-23-14 10:39 AM
    Android can run on BlackBerry.....simply load that if you must have an app for westjet

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 10:49 AM
    They aren't a charity. They're a corporation whose goal is to maximize profits for share holders. I can't really blame them for not making a BB10 app.
    I can, and will.

Posted via CB10
    gokulesh, acovey and NotGoodIMO like this.
    05-23-14 10:49 AM
    From my understanding it is fairly easy to port their app to BlackBerry World. At least they could do is that if they are not going to make a native app.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 10:57 AM
    So you are saying air canada and porter are a charity ? Both have their apps on BB10. Hmm...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Waspstar, Clanked, alan510 and 9 others like this.
    05-23-14 11:00 AM
    There are still a significant portion of business people using BlackBerry. As far as I know, they also comprise a significant portion of frequent flyers. To ignore them completely isn't probably the smartest business decision. Both Air Canada and Porter offer native BlackBerry apps.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 11:14 AM
    Westjet will never see another dime from me. Period.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 11:28 AM
    Android can run on BlackBerry.....simply load that if you must have an app for westjet

Posted via CB10
    Exactly so they can bring their damn android port through BBW !?... enough with the charity excuses and defending these companies... they are simply lazy and their decisions have nothing to do with profits...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    gokulesh and Clanked like this.
    05-23-14 11:30 AM
    This is bizarre because Westjet's bread and butter are the business flights. A good chunk of who use BlackBerry. Obviously not a "business decision" but probably a bias choice by someone in the marketing department.

Posted via CB10
    gokulesh, potatoguy and nico2004 like this.
    05-23-14 11:51 AM
    It's possible that a BB10 app will be coming later on.

Remember, It must be difficult to find developers trained on BB10 development.
    05-23-14 12:01 PM
    "Proudly Canadian" most of the time is a marketing trick used by companies to attract more potential customers. I mean if I open a lemonade stand and slap Proudly Canadian on the sign, you will see only positive results out of it lol

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 12:02 PM
    Just Tweeted them about it.

Posted via CB10
    Smitty13 likes this.
    05-23-14 12:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    Nonsense. They aren't in business to pander to unrealistic fanbot and false nationalistic demands.

ETA: they were late even to bring to iOS and Android, the two biggest platforms, and nothing on WP either. It may come later.
    05-23-14 12:07 PM
    This is bizarre because Westjet's bread and butter are the business flights. A good chunk of who use BlackBerry. Obviously not a "business decision" but probably a bias choice by someone in the marketing department.

Posted via CB10

It's pretty easy to find developers - to either hire in house or as a 3rd party to develop for iOS and Android. Development of apps that work on both platforms is the norm today. Once they finished, they logically released the apps. Now maybe Westjet asked them to also create apps for Windows Phone and BB10, and it is just taking longer - or maybe they didn't.

Either way it was a business decision based on numbers. Most business people use Android or iOS devices of one type or another.... even if they do have a company issued BlackBerry. So if you subtract those numbers from the 15% marketshare that BlackBerry owns... it's a pretty small pool of customers.
    05-23-14 12:09 PM
    They have a perfect my good mobile website app guys..

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 12:15 PM
    It's pretty easy to find developers - to either hire in house or as a 3rd party to develop for iOS and Android. Development of apps that work on both platforms is the norm today. Once they finished, they logically released the apps. Now maybe Westjet asked them to also create apps for Windows Phone and BB10, and it is just taking longer - or maybe they didn't.

Either way it was a business decision based on numbers. Most business people use Android or iOS devices of one type or another.... even if they do have a company issued BlackBerry. So if you subtract those numbers from the 15% marketshare that BlackBerry owns... it's a pretty small pool of customers.
    I fly on business flights almost every 2nd week. I see mostly BlackBerry's. Call it anecdotal if you like. Businesses flights ARE their bread and butter. Just go on any carriers website and compare prices if you don't believe me.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 12:15 PM
    Just a reflection of a sad fact... BB10 even being a great OS simply does not sell enough units to be interest many companies....
    rai187 likes this.
    05-23-14 12:21 PM
    Just downloaded it to try it (Via Snap). It is NO better than their mobile site (actually not nearly as good), and other than the opening screen, it basically is their mobile site (identical) for the functions the app does have (ie flight status, flight searches and check in). As a matter of fact the mobile site is waaaay quicker (at least it is on my Z30....possibly because its sandboxed in the Adnroid run time ....dunno), and has more features like booking a hotel, car, latest tweets...etc etc.

Also, typcially you will get an E-mail from WJ with a reminder to check in to your flight 24 hours prior and in the E-mail is a link to the mobile site that when taken already populates the appropriate boxes to do your check-in (easy-peasy). Not sure how this app will function in that regard, but unlike the Air Canada app (that IS available on BB10) you cannot input your upcoming trips...at least nowhere that I can see, so if you use the check in part, you will need to populate from scratch to start the process.

The whole app, seems half baked IMO.

Disappointing they did not bring a BB10 app but should not come as a suprise. its not like they have a Window's version either and they need to focus where the market share is (for now). If they are clever they will just port the app over. To be honest, even thou I now have this app, I will most likely continue to use the mobile site anyway, as I mentioned I think its better.
    05-23-14 12:35 PM
    I fly on business flights almost every 2nd week. I see mostly BlackBerry's. Call it anecdotal if you like. Businesses flights ARE their bread and butter. Just go on any carriers website and compare prices if you don't believe me.

Posted via CB10
    I'm the same, I'm almost weekly on a WestJet flight to somewhere.....you always see a strong showing of BB10 and legacy devices at the gate. I pay a lot of attention to this (airports are a good place to get a feel for what people carry, as they all sit at their gates playing on their phones). iPhones seem to be everywhere, but after that, its tough NOT to spot a BB (Z10's and Q10's out the whahzoo)
    neteng1000 likes this.
    05-23-14 12:44 PM
    I'm the same, I'm almost weekly on a WestJet flight to somewhere.....you always see a strong showing of BB10 and legacy devices at the gate. I pay a lot of attention to this (airports are a good place to get a feel for what people carry, as they all sit at their gates playing on their phones). iPhones seem to be everywhere, but after that, its tough NOT to spot a BB (Z10's and Q10's out the whahzoo)
    Yeah that was my point. They obviously didn't do any research to find out WHO their customers were. They just went with the all popular iPhone and Android

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 12:48 PM
    Don't disagree and I didn't blame them either. Because that is what the world has become. There are many corporations that do social responsibility expenditures at share holder expense. They don't ask for approval in that case.

A corporation can always think of itself as a part of the bigger team. The community they are in, the state or province and the country. They can choose to do their part for the greater good of the team.

Not mandatory or required but they can choose to do so. Sad that most of them are not.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 12:55 PM
198 123 ...