I think I want one for the he'll of it. How much money and work to launch?

Posted from a wireless charging Passport. Get one!
    02-19-16 09:20 AM
    Hosted bes. Google it
    02-19-16 09:42 AM
    There is a free 30 day trial for the BES12 cloud. I couldn't see the price on the site for the license after that, but when I purchased it about a year ago, I think it was $25.

For a consumer, it complicates life and doesn't really offer any advantages other than a direct line to BlackBerry for service and support. The biggest annoyance was not being able to copy and paste between the work space and the regular user space.
    02-19-16 10:50 AM
    There is a free 30 day trial for the BES12 cloud. I couldn't see the price on the site for the license after that, but when I purchased it about a year ago, I think it was $25.
    yep $25 quit annual subscription for a Silver License, which is all it's needed to get Blackberry device on to BES, all other devices need the Gold License to make use of the secure space.

Server license type: Silver:
    devices and Activation types:
    Blackberry 10 = Work and personal - Corporate
    iOS and Android (incl. PRIV) = MDM controls, User privacy
    OS X and Windows = MDM controls
    Android for Work (incl. PRIV) = Work and personal - user privacy (Android for work), Work space only (Android for Work)

Server license type: Gold - Secure Work space:
    Blackberry 10 = Work space only, Work and personal - Regulated, Work and personal - Corporate
    iOS = Work and personal - user privacy, Work and personal - full control, MDM control, user privacy
    OS X and Windows = MDM controls
    Android (incl PRIV) = Work and personal - user privacy (Secure Work Space), Work and personal - full control (secure work space), MDM control, User privacy.
    Android for Work (incl. PRIV) = Work and personal - user privacy (Android for Work), Work space only (Android for Work)

Everything else added like KNOX need the Gold license.
    http://help.blackberry.com/detectLan...sing-guide-pdf

Posted either via -Passport SQW100-1 or -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    Last edited by hobgoblin1961; 02-19-16 at 01:12 PM.
    02-19-16 12:24 PM
    The biggest annoyance was not being able to copy and paste between the work space and the regular user space.
    well that's not a fault but "the security feature" of Work Space and made on purpose!
    What sense would it make for a secure Work space if you would be able to cross copy any data, the purpose is to keep the Work space and the privat space completely and strictly separated.

02-19-16 12:59 PM
    well that's not a fault but "the security feature" of Work Space and made on purpose!
    What sense would it make for a secure Work space if you would be able to cross copy any data, the purpose is to keep the Work space and the privat space completely and strictly separated.

I understand why it was that way, just that you have to activate it using one of your email addresses and anything on that work side email address has to stay in the work side. Since I activated an Outlook.com account/ Office365 account, my contacts were in the work side. It made it difficult to share contacts, for example when somebody asks you to send them some contact info via BBM, you couldn't just send it or copy and past a phone number, as BBM was on the personal side.

In the end, after playing around with it for a few months, I deleted the work side and went back to normal.

I also looked at it for locking down a phone for a younger child and the full on work mode was best there, though I never did give him a phone. For the $25 a year it can give you pretty powerful parental control, such as allowing only specific wifi access points. For example, in my test of this, I could push the wifi profiles of the school and our home wifi access points, which both have openDNS filters on them, to filter out inappropriate content. With iPhones it looked like you could also enable some sort of DNS filtering that even works over the cellular. I don't have an iPhone, so couldn't test it.

To get apps on the work side or a work only phone you also have to pick the apps in the administration console and make them available in the work side BlackBerry world. This could be cumbersome if you were always trying new apps. In the kid phone example, the kid would have to tell you the app he wants and you would have to make it available on the work side.

Finally, Android apps do not work on the work side.
    02-19-16 01:48 PM
    So there's clearly no benefit to an individual consumer to purchase this service, right?

I can definitely see the appeal in wanting to experiment with it though.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-16 12:06 AM
    So there's clearly no benefit to an individual consumer to purchase this service, right?

Posted via CB10
    all depending on what you want to do and what you are making use of it.
    Got several personal devices on BES12.4 Cloud and for me it's very convenience to organise ActiveSync settings in one place.
    Using email account with several alias-email names across this devices, on top of that having Sync-Remember Task-folder, CalDEV and Address book too. But the most convenience part is to be able to push a whole bunch of WiFi, VPN and Proxy settings to all devices at ones including all password profiles without the hassle of setting up every device on its own in a pain staging process, just grabbing a device and it's all setup.
    So BES subscription organise several BB-ID's in a family sort of setup is grate, got one BES profile per BB-ID with several devices per person, group family members and push different policies to each of anyone makes live so much easier.
    Remember the cheapest BES license is $25 per year per device and allows "Work and personal - Corporate" leaving all the Personal-Space as it is, so every device in the standard can be customised as usually, but any ActiveSync, WiFi, VPN, Proxy and secure shared Work-Space including the pushed app's are managed via BES.

Setting up this policy groups is not that complicated ones set up once.
    like having several BES-groups for WiFi, App's, Email policies, just apply it to what ever user to Activate and the devices are ready to go.

The Work-Space BBW do not need a lot of App's anyway, only the ones that are needed for sharing via BB Work-Drive and things that wants to be done in a secured area, look at it as a Encrypted area where everything is stored without a special password protected Container App like "secret diary" or such, just flick over to the work-space and it's all there.
    To make it clear every BB-ID and every device will have two BBW, one private as usually with all the App's as usually and the BBW for Work-Space with only the app's pushed by BES.
    And yes very handy if this devices in use are not all in one spot, like my daughter at the University, I can just push what ever needed profile per policy. My experience is that this pushed WiFi+VPN profiles work much more robust with stronger signal and more reliable than setup manually on each device without BES.

BES is a nice way of tweaking BlackBerry devices just a bit further more for all sorts of needs, for added Security for once anyway.

Well I only need to cope with eight Blackberry devices for $25 each, but BES12.4 allows to manage iOS, Android and WIN devices the same way, but this devices need the annual $70 Gold license to work with all the tricks in the box.

BES is not meant to be a extended Parental Control only but got some administration capabilities that can go way further depending on the Activation of the device.

Last edited by hobgoblin1961; 02-20-16 at 02:24 AM.
    02-20-16 02:01 AM
    By the way BES is not meant to be a extended Parental control, even if some of the policies are restricted if needed for security to prevent data leaks, but in general BES allows to tweak a lot of useful settings and capabilities depending on the Activation mode pushed to a device in the 1st place.

So there are tree Activation modes right now, but a Prosumer BES-Cloud-lite would be a very nice extension to the full blown existing version.

Work and personal - Corporate:
    not interfering with the privat space but enables and gives control over the Work space only. (like bring your own device)

Work space only:
    enables work space only with full control with very strict policy.
    (highly security needs)

Work and personal - Regulated:
    sort of compromise, mostly used by (company owned devices), gives control over the Work space and the personal space, with the most advanced tweak options for very individual setup.

Last edited by hobgoblin1961; 02-20-16 at 03:13 AM.
    02-20-16 02:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    Encrypted browser over public wifi

Posted via CB10
    02-20-16 03:24 AM