I am a user of Android 90% of the time but dabble in WP7, iOS & BB sometimes. I fall back on Android only because is seems to cover MOST of my needs. From time to time I come back to BB because I miss the physical keyboard I used for so many years prior to full touch screen phones.

Now to the point of my thread. Blackberry has got to be important to someone otherwise it would not have such a strong value on the market. If BB was as bad as many people say then a BB 9900 would not be going for $500 on eBay. The 9700 of years ago still go for $300! Look for a two and a half Android and it will be in the $150-$170 range.

I sit back and wait for BB to come back around, I have faith they will! Look at Apple, they almost disappeared off the map 15 years ago and now are one of the most valuable companies on the planet! The new CEO of RIM is doing some major house cleaning which I think is a good idea. RIM, there are many of us waiting for your day back in the sun!
    alnamvet68 and Stewartj1 like this.
    04-21-12 09:27 PM
    Please stop comparing the RIM of today with the Apple of tomorrow. Different times, different markets (completely), different circumstances, and way different companies.

Decent smartphones have a high resale value period due to people who don't have upgrades, want second devices or break/lose theirs inside contract.

I hope RIM turns around, but their future does not look bright in any way. They need to pull rabbit out of the hat and fast!
    04-21-12 09:44 PM
    Please stop comparing the RIM of today with the Apple of tomorrow. Different times, different markets (completely), different circumstances, and way different companies.

Decent smartphones have a high resale value period due to people who don't have upgrades, want second devices or break/lose theirs inside contract.

I hope RIM turns around, but their future does not look bright in any way. They need to pull rabbit out of the hat and fast!
    Please explain how Apple's future seemed brighter than RIMS now in 1996?
    russworman likes this.
    04-21-12 09:58 PM
    I am a user of Android 90% of the time but dabble in WP7, iOS & BB sometimes. I fall back on Android only because is seems to cover MOST of my needs. From time to time I come back to BB because I miss the physical keyboard I used for so many years prior to full touch screen phones.

Now to the point of my thread. Blackberry has got to be important to someone otherwise it would not have such a strong value on the market. If BB was as bad as many people say then a BB 9900 would not be going for $500 on eBay. The 9700 of years ago still go for $300! Look for a two and a half Android and it will be in the $150-$170 range.

I sit back and wait for BB to come back around, I have faith they will! Look at Apple, they almost disappeared off the map 15 years ago and now are one of the most valuable companies on the planet! The new CEO of RIM is doing some major house cleaning which I think is a good idea. RIM, there are many of us waiting for your day back in the sun!
    Apple also had one of the greatest CEO's of our time driving the ship...I like RIMM, and will gladly purchase a bb10 device(if they can get the on screen keyboard right, along with strong developer support) however RIMM has shown that they can't deliver great consumer products....

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    04-21-12 10:15 PM
    Oh I agree! Apple kicked out what made them successful, Jobs! This we are looking through hindsight. With RIM, we only hope a change of power makes a difference, time will tell.
    04-21-12 10:26 PM
    Please explain how Apple's future seemed brighter than RIMS now in 1996?
    Apple sold more than njust phones. It sold Computers, owned Pixar (Jobs), made OS software and software programs.

Rim just sells phones
    carullo likes this.
    04-21-12 11:39 PM
    Apple also had one of the greatest CEO's of our time driving the ship...I like RIMM, and will gladly purchase a bb10 device(if they can get the on screen keyboard right, along with strong developer support) however RIMM has shown that they can't deliver great consumer products....

I think we should also stop comparing the RIM of yesterday to the RIM of tomorrow. RIM is also now under a new CEO and is now under a situation where it cannot afford to put out phones that are lacking or simply "good enough". They need to put out phones better than the competition, and I hope this is what will drive RIM to put out amazing BB10 devices. The future of the company is at stake.
    christenmartin and Stewartj1 like this.
    04-21-12 11:46 PM
    I think we should also stop comparing the RIM of yesterday to the RIM of tomorrow. RIM is also now under a new CEO and is now under a situation where it cannot afford to put out phones that are lacking or simply "good enough". They need to put out phones better than the competition, and I hope this is what will drive RIM to put out amazing BB10 devices. The future of the company is at stake.
    I agree, it's pretty unfair to compare past RIM and current RIM, after all,you can't blame Mr. Heins for the "failure" of the company when in fact he's trying his best to put it back. If we still have the ex-Co-CEO still running things, then the argument is valid.
    FlashFlare11 and robluck82 like this.
    04-22-12 12:02 AM
    I agree, I was kind of skeptical about heins, but he is really serious about change...Hopefully they can get everything in order to launch a successful product this fall...Changing the public's perception of RIMM will be one daunting task...!

04-22-12 12:10 AM
    Be damned or not, I kind of agree with the OP's actual point. I can't quite put Apple and RIM in the same continent, Jobs and the Co-CEOs, differences of product and market.
    RIM could by some miracle do the Apple thing though, where they hit the bottom and make a miraculous comeback. That'd be nothing short of awesome, though I don't care if they become top-dog or nowhere close; I just want them to live.

And damn good point on BB value. I look on Craigslist often, and the 9930 is still being sold for $300-$350 on average. Meanwhile, I see big ones in the same age bracket like Droid Bionic and the original iPhone4 being sold for around $300 or less. Surely that does say something about the present value of the BlackBerry no?

Sent from BitPusher's BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    04-22-12 02:38 AM
    I actually like to think of RIM in comparison to Apple when Jobs came back on as CEO. And if you think of it that way, well...go buy your stock RIGHT NOW!

I have faith in RIM to once again revolutionize the mobile phone sector. However, I want them to do it like Apple did: be utterly ruthless about quality and the user experience, and bring something new with each subsequent release.
    04-22-12 08:54 AM
    Apple sold more than njust phones. It sold Computers, owned Pixar (Jobs), made OS software and software programs.

Rim just sells phones
    thats a point that many people forget......its like comparing......well.. apple to oranges
    04-22-12 09:11 AM
    Be damned or not, I kind of agree with the OP's actual point. I can't quite put Apple and RIM in the same continent, Jobs and the Co-CEOs, differences of product and market.
    RIM could by some miracle do the Apple thing though, where they hit the bottom and make a miraculous comeback. That'd be nothing short of awesome, though I don't care if they become top-dog or nowhere close; I just want them to live.

And damn good point on BB value. I look on Craigslist often, and the 9930 is still being sold for $300-$350 on average. Meanwhile, I see big ones in the same age bracket like Droid Bionic and the original iPhone4 being sold for around $300 or less. Surely that does say something about the present value of the BlackBerry no?

Sent from BitPusher's BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    It doesnt mean anything other than it hard to find one thats cheap. Its not like its a equal amount of 9930 to Iphones on craiglist. The resell market is saturated with iphone and androids thus you have to sell cheaper to get peoples attention to buy it.

How many 9930's were sold vs the original iphone4?

The iphone4 is slated to sell over 100 million phones worldwide this year.
    04-22-12 11:49 AM
    Thanks OP for your star studded positive outlook.
    04-22-12 12:01 PM
    Android devices might also be cheap on the resale market since there are so many different models, and it seems like new models are released every two weeks.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    04-22-12 12:02 PM
    ^^ This ^^
    04-22-12 12:34 PM

Rim just sells phones
    RIM sells more than just phones.
    04-22-12 12:40 PM
    RIM sells more than just phones.
    Ok

Phones
    BES software- which is for phones
    and the Playbook

vs

Iphone
    Ipod nano
    Ipod touch
    Ipad
    Apple TV
    Computer OS - Mac OS X
    Macbook Air
    Macbook Pro
    Time Capsule
    AirPort
    Displays
    Magic Mouse
    Magic Trackpad
    Remote SuperDrive
    04-22-12 12:52 PM
    Ok

Phones
    and the Playbook

vs

Iphone
    Ipod nano
    Ipod touch
    Ipad
    Apple TV
    Computer OS - Mac OS X
    Macbook Air
    Macbook Pro
    Time Capsule
    AirPort
    Displays
    Magic Mouse
    Magic Trackpad
    Remote SuperDrive
    It really is the iPod that made Apple what it is today. Without the iPod there would be no iPhone, and Apple would still be a niche computer company.

04-22-12 12:58 PM
    It really is the iPod that made Apple what it is today. Without the iPod there would be no iPhone, and Apple would still be a niche computer company.

But this isnt about what if's, its about what is...

Everything in life has a different possible scenario
    04-22-12 01:05 PM
    Ok

Phones
    and the Playbook

vs

Iphone
    Ipod nano
    Ipod touch
    Ipad
    Apple TV
    Computer OS - Mac OS X
    Macbook Air
    Macbook Pro
    Time Capsule
    AirPort
    Displays
    Magic Mouse
    Magic Trackpad
    Remote SuperDrive
    Better add QNX car infotainment(30 million+ cars)
    Cloud services
    BTW...they make more than just ONE phone... They have the Bold, Curve, Torches in different configurations...
    04-22-12 02:08 PM
    Better add QNX car infotainment(30 million+ cars)
    Cloud services
    BTW...they make more than just ONE phone... They have the Bold, Curve, Torches in different configurations...
    Cloud services?? You mean the one that connects to Microsoft 365 service?? Thats basically MS Exchange and thats free for everyone except BB.

BTW Apple makes different phones as well.

Iphone 3gs -8
    Iphone 3gs -16
    Iphone 3gs -32

Iphone4 - 8
    Iphone4 - 16
    Iphone4 - 32
    Iphone4 - 64

Iphone 4s - 8
    Iphone4s - 16
    Iphone4s - 32
    Iphone4s - 64

My point is that Apple has a much larger portfolio that is constantly expanding. They are a tech company. RIM was originally an pager company, who then became a phone company, who is now trying to be a software company.

And if I am not mistaken, RIM doesnt make the OS. QNX does, which is still operated as a separate entity of RIM.

But I cant compete with blind loyalty so I digress. And I am not referring to you.
    04-22-12 04:55 PM
    The bitterness on CB since I've been actively posting is so shameful. Salty posters comparing and the negative vibe across these threads is gettin' a little bit pathetic.

Nonetheless, I'm one that's confident RIM will have a good (not perfect) BB10 that will keep the market steady. Ofcourse, the market share for the next 2, maybe 3 isn't looking to be at all any better than the last call, but some posters think RIM is dead and blah blah blah.
    04-22-12 05:09 PM
    Well said. You're spot on.

My gut tells me the first phones will at least be competitive.
    04-22-12 05:13 PM
    Ok

Phones
    and the Playbook
    Software for Cisco Routers
    Software to run Automobiles
    Infotainment Systems for automobiles
    MDM Software to manage multiple mobile platforms

vs

Iphone
    Ipod nano (mini MP3 Player)
    Ipod touch (iPhone without phone, MP3 Player)
    Ipad (big iPod Touch or iPhone)
    Apple TV (iPod Touch without a screen and HDMI out)
    Computer OS - Mac OS X
    Macbook Air LAPTOP
    Macbook Pro another LAPTOP
    Time Capsule Airport with Hard Drive
    AirPort
    Displays
    Magic Mouse LAPTOP/PC accessory
    Magic Trackpad LAPTOP/PC accessory
    Remote SuperDrive
    You left out Mac Pro but it is yet another PC form factor
    Fixed for you somewhat. Sorry but you are oversimplifying RIM while reaching to make Apple look like it is way more than it is. You should have put Pages, Numbers and KeyNote as separate line items in your Apple list to make it even longer. And lets be real, they are making the lions share of the money on iPhones and iPads now, the same markets RIM competes with.
    04-22-12 05:14 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD