A while ago I picked up on something apparrently called Project Genesis, which is supposed t breath new life into the BlackBerry. I don't exactly know what it is, but it sounds like it's suppossed to be a complete Rewrite of the jvm to make the Os more responsive and efficient, combined with a BES/BIS upgrade that included features seen in Apple's MobileMe and Google Wave. Has anybody else heard about this or has an idea as to what it would be?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-10 11:26 AM
    This is the first I've heard of it... Got a source for where you heard of this?

A more responsive OS could be nice... But it's not exactly slow for me atm.

04-23-10 04:51 PM
    Kinda wired actually. I overheard a couple guys talking in Timmys about it. Something how it's supposed to breath new life into the platform... seems like it's more or less just a project that a bunch of the devs are working on in their spare time. What I did get about the JVM was that it's supposed to have much better app management, which i presume means better garbage collecting and the OS always has resource priority, so if an app takes all the memory or freezes the rest of the phone remains operational and you can essentially force-quit the app.

As for the cloud side, it seems to be some sort of server hosted either on the NOC, the BIS or runs alongside a companies' BES. It seems to be some sort of social networking thing like a cross between twitter, facebook, google wave eta that is supposed to make it incredibly easy for workers to collaborate on projects and share ideas and thoughts.
    Well, that's all I can remember hearing, as i didn't want to be visibly eavesdropping.

The strangest thing is I'm in Alberta and RIN's in Ontario, so there can't be any employees here. The only thing I can think of is if they are working with a company over here, but I don't know.
    Last edited by grahamf; 04-23-10 at 07:11 PM.
    04-23-10 07:08 PM
    Well, think about it some more it really couldn't have been some sort of top secret project. I mean come ON??? Tim Hortons???
    I just caught the tail end so I didn't get the full picture. most likely it was just a couple guys doing a "what if" scenario.
    04-24-10 01:51 PM
    Im gonna go ahead and call this thread a fail
    04-24-10 02:13 PM
    maybe, however I noted your signature and I'm now disregarding your post since you have a noted bias.
    04-24-10 03:51 PM
    maybe, however I noted your signature and I'm now disregarding your post since you have a noted bias.
    I think you are going to find it pretty hard to find people here who are not bias. It is the people with multiple devices (that aren't just BBs) that tend to not be bias. I have owned Android, iPhone and BBs so I know them all.

This is a BB site so the majority of bias here is towards BBs.
    04-24-10 04:05 PM
    ^ which unfortunately leads to corruption within the forums with more and more 'useless' threads and posts ranting about anything imaginable and asking for things common sense can simply not keep up with. I'm tired, threads like these are OK, but the majority of stuff here just makes me wish I was a convert (to another platform). Does the tone of this reply sound a bit bias, too? I'm not biased, but I can't escape my inner thoughts and feelings either.
    04-24-10 04:13 PM
    I'd like to add that I've owned just about EVERY device out. Android, the iPhone, just about every BB, Symbian devices, and even a few WinMo phones for fun.
    04-24-10 04:15 PM
    I apologize for my rudeness.
    So, if there WAS such thing as "Project Genesis", what do you think it would entail?
    04-24-10 04:58 PM
    Some sort of new OS i'd think. I hope so
    04-24-10 05:40 PM
    So, if there WAS such thing as "Project Genesis", what do you think it would entail?
    Without a doubt, it would involve Khan.
    TGoblin likes this.
    04-25-10 10:38 PM
    lol good point
    04-25-10 10:44 PM
    Either it's something top secret, or you may be refering to something that appears to have been abandoned. Other than this thread, and of course OTHER project genesis stuff (i.e. Star Trek), the only thing I found was an old article from trade journal from 2007 about an apps development platform promising a 24 hour development cycle. And I only found the 1 article which makes me think it's a dead deal, but who knows?

EDIT: I mean who thought RIM would do another flip? And a full qwerty no less? So you NEVER know! Spock LIVES!
    04-25-10 10:54 PM
    Project Genesis:

couldn't resist........
    04-26-10 12:55 PM
    It does what you can't do on Nintendo.
    04-27-10 12:15 AM
    Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!
    04-27-10 01:01 AM
    Project Genesis:

couldn't resist........
    Captain, pkcable, thanks good memories!
    04-27-10 08:40 AM
    I was on the web a little bit and I noted that the HQ for OpenBSD (very secure base OS) is in the area (actually Calgary, which is an hour's drive away), and I was wondering...
    04-30-10 11:14 PM
    Project Genesis is a core rewrite of the lower level VM platform.

05-01-10 08:07 AM
    Does anybody else think that with; OS 6, the 9800, the Storm 3, the possible Cobalt, and rumours of the QNX os being merged into the BBOS (or vice versa); "Project Genesis" could be happening now?
    07-08-10 12:03 AM
    If its not a splice of iphone apps and fun stuff with the 9800 slider then its not much of anything. Sad thing is ill probably get the 9800 and keep my itouch and be reminded that I really just got a newer, different looking blackberry with nothing really new or fun about it. I can deal without brick breaker version 200 or whatnot.

07-08-10 12:32 PM
    Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!
    07-09-10 12:16 AM
    Ah yes...the BEST Star Trek movie ever made. This thread makes me wanna watch Star Trek II again on my BB.
    07-09-10 03:18 AM
    Either it's something top secret, or you may be refering to something that appears to have been abandoned. Other than this thread, and of course OTHER project genesis stuff (i.e. Star Trek), the only thing I found was an old article from trade journal from 2007 about an apps development platform promising a 24 hour development cycle. And I only found the 1 article which makes me think it's a dead deal, but who knows?
    Don't count it out. The ipad was originally in the development process before the Iphone. Then Steve jobs said holy sh@# lets make a phone with this and they shelved the ipad for years and brought out the Iphone. 2007 was not that long ago.
    07-13-10 05:54 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD