I tried searching the forums and didn't really find anything useful.

Does anyone know where I can find software that will let me record both ends of a phone call? Possibly into mp3 format.

Thanks in advance.
    03-31-08 02:00 PM
    try the CIA lol jk hehe
    03-31-08 02:02 PM
    Anyone? cc
    03-31-08 02:15 PM
    Anyone? cc
    I believe that GrandCentral (GrandCentral: The New Way to Use Your Phones) might be able to help you. You would have to register and set it up though.

I also believe it's free for now.

Paul
    03-31-08 03:06 PM
    I left out the link to the recording information page: GrandCentral: Call Record - Remember important information

Paul
    03-31-08 03:07 PM
    GrandCentral would be my suggestion also.
    03-31-08 03:08 PM
    Any software at all? Something besides the grancentral thing.
    03-31-08 03:20 PM
    You don't need to record them, just contact us, we record ALL your conversations (per the court order).
    03-31-08 03:49 PM
    Easy - get a PALM phone. I was recording phone calls for years on my PALM 700p I really miss this option! AND it records directly to your external memory. I switched to BB a few months ago and this is one of many features I sorely miss. I used it for when I was driving and needed to take down some important information during a call. I would record the call and then get the info later back at my office. I have searched and searched but cannot find BB software that can do this. I feel like I have stepped backward in time.
    04-29-08 08:47 PM
    GrandCentral is invitation only. There was an open invitation a while back for BB users, but I'm not sure if that link still works (and I can't remember where to find it).
    04-29-08 09:03 PM
    Keep in mind that recording phone conversations without informing the other party is illegal in some states.

Why do you want to record a phone conversation? Have you thought about just communicating via email in such situations to document your contact?
    04-29-08 09:50 PM
    The only thing I found to work and work well is that little mini tape recorder and the suction cup that you can get on the internet. You could probably use something other then the mini recorder its the suction cup that you put on the back of your phone up by your ear and it records both voices. Well I mean what do I know anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-08 10:36 PM
    My old Sony-Ericsson w810i used to have that capability built in. Just had to press the menu button while in call, and hit record and that's it.

I love my BB, but it pains me to see features on lower end phones I've owned not available on my $500 BB.
    04-30-08 01:35 AM
    Keep in mind that recording phone conversations without informing the other party is illegal in some states.

Why do you want to record a phone conversation? Have you thought about just communicating via email in such situations to document your contact?
    Word on that, I work in telecom and people contact us all the time for detailed records of phone calls (incoming and outgoing) including phone numbers and get IRATE when you tell them you need a court order for incoming records, $150 for every 24 hour period.

I can tell you one thing, if I EVER found out someone recorded my conversations with them? They would never worry about speaking with me again AND the lawsuit would be swift. Unless you start your conversation with "please be advised this conversation is being recorded" you are breaking quite a few privacy laws. Good lord.

EDIT

You have to remember that privacy laws have changed since these old lamented "lower end" phones that offered this feature were made - probably why the $500 BB doesn't have it. IT'S ILLEGAL.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 04-30-08 at 02:17 PM.
    04-30-08 02:10 PM
    Don't you also have to have a periodic beep?
    04-30-08 05:35 PM
    Don't you also have to have a periodic beep?
    As far as I know, yes.
    04-30-08 05:54 PM
    Word on that, I work in telecom and people contact us all the time for detailed records of phone calls (incoming and outgoing) including phone numbers and get IRATE when you tell them you need a court order for incoming records, $150 for every 24 hour period.

I can tell you one thing, if I EVER found out someone recorded my conversations with them? They would never worry about speaking with me again AND the lawsuit would be swift. Unless you start your conversation with "please be advised this conversation is being recorded" you are breaking quite a few privacy laws. Good lord.

EDIT

You have to remember that privacy laws have changed since these old lamented "lower end" phones that offered this feature were made - probably why the $500 BB doesn't have it. IT'S ILLEGAL.

Grow up! Nobody wants to record your phone call unless its to make sure they got the message right. I used it on my PALM to record calls while i was driving since i couldn't write down information at the time. Honestly what would anyone want with a recording of your phone call? How doggone imortant do you think youare ?
    Last edited by Fastwalking; 04-30-08 at 08:53 PM.
    04-30-08 08:50 PM
    Grow up! Nobody wants to record your phone call unless its to make sure they got the message right. I used it on my PALM to record calls while i was driving since i couldn't write down information at the time. Honestly what would anyone want with a recording of your phone call? How doggone imortant do you think youare ?
    It's not that I think I'm important, it's because it's an invasion of privacy to record a call without my knowledge. It's illegal now for a reason, you know. If the OP intends to notify all callers of the fact the call will be recorded, and will not use it on personal calls, then that is fine...but believe me, anyone who has a personal conversation on the phone will be a little more careful about what they say if it's being recorded, and not telling someone they are being recorded is an invasion of privacy.

If you were recording calls while driving, and you didn't tell the other party, you were possibly breaking the law. Consider that before you tell me to grow up. People were asking why it's more often than not no longer available, because I guess it's not common knowledge that recording a call without announcing it is now a federal offence.
    04-30-08 09:21 PM
    To all of those that so moronically stated recording phone conversations is an invasion of privacy and/or illegal; have you ever heard of Google, let alone the Federal Telecommunications Laws?Just type it in quickly for an answer to your assumptions, prior to posting inaccurate and FALSE info. for others to blindly believe! Federal Law does not prohibit recording of conversations as long as ONE party consents to the recordings. What this means is if the blackberry user that posted this request wants to record his/her OWN conversations it is perfectly legal, as long as he/she resides within a state that doesn't enforce stricter laws then the Federal govt. Some states, like CA poor people, have enacted stricter laws that require two party consent, which means NOTIFICATION ONLY of both parties! For instance, when you contact all those 800 lines that state, "Calls may be recorded and/or monitored for quality assurance purposes". When you continue with your call you are agreeing to have your calls recorded and/or monitored by expressed consent of continuing with the call. You DO NOT have to state you "agree" verbally with the act, but your mere action of not hanging up the line after the warning is implied consent to the act!

Simple folks, if you don't want it used against you then DON'T say it out loud! If someone is upset I record a conversation it is not likely b/c of so called privacy, but b/c they were caught in a lie and pissed that they got caught! If you are going to verbally share informatinon with another person that you don't want used against you then all you need to state is that you in no way consent to the recording or monitoring of your conversation and/or HANGUP the phone! Or simply state it's your "opinion", so it isn't taken as fact. However, if you are offering an awesome printer for sale for $10 and then turn around and charge the card $100 and then state you informed the person, but they recorded the call, you are just plain screwed and deserve it! Only those that have something to be afraid of are concerned about recordings.

FYI-This is also the case for wire tapping in person conversations, as I've really hung some people up in lies for in person meetings!

Basically, don't say it if you don't mean it or it's not true people!

P.S. I've been recording the FULL length of ALL my calls on my Moto A780 (Asia purchased unlocked) onto my Micro SD Card and I utilize the TMo Callertunes feature and personalizing the intro greeting to state, "Calls may be monitored and recorded for security purposes." When the caller continues through to get me on the phone they are agreeing to my recording of the call, just like if they were leaving a VM! I just moved to CA where two party consent is required, so I decided to implement this. However, when I lived in CO the only people that got pissed were all the govt. agency employees that thought their $hit don't stink and I caught them in big fat lies. Granted, they still never apologized and it would take an act of God to get them fired for such conduct, but at least I made my point and it quickly became the talk of the area not to screw with me and lie. I have a very sick child and most of what I deal with are egotistical govt. workers that think they can cheat the system and treat citizens like crap! These people deserve a slap in the face to bring them back to planet Earth at times! I did have one doctor flip out when I told her and caught her in trying to blame me for their error. For all her extensive education she had no clue about the laws and again tried to turn it around on me and stated I was breaking the law. I quickly reminded her I have a degree in the legal field and what I was doing was perfectly legal. If she didn't want her own words used against her in the future, maybe she should try be honest at all times and not try to place blame on others when it's her own office's fault. It wasn't as though I used this feature to throw minor mistakes in peoples faces, but out right lies they would tell that highly affected my child's health and well-being! Or they would try to state I was lying about a specific issue and I would clear my name by offering them to listen to the conversation. Either way, all I was doing was providing them with clear reminders of what words came out of their mouth and mine, so they could rethink more recent statements! I do nothing wrong or illegal and only use the feature as a tool to help my family. Plus, I look at it as a Tivo of prior conversations and events that the person already made claims of, how can this be an invasion of privacy?

Open your eyes and shut your mouth if you don't like it!

Anybody interested in my techniques for true protection and security in your own life, please do ask and I will share my other techniques used daily to protect my family (cameras, internet security access on the go, documentation, etc.). It just saves time, money, and sanity for us underdogs!

Reference:
    check out the wikipedia website under phone call recordings and you'll get all the specifics or just google phone tapping laws!

The audible beep throughout the call is used as a form of consent, but not required in all states...only twelve and it's only ONE of three forms of consent that may be used to fulfill the FCC regulation of consent in those twelve states!
    04-30-08 11:12 PM
    I am confused where is it against the law. How is it invasion of privacy your talking to that person so that person is telling you something so where is the invasion. The only thing I can think of is it is not admissible in court unless the other person is notified of the taping. I also do believe that it can be brought into family court as evidence even if the other party does not know they are being taped because a custody case is a civil case not criminal. Well then I could be wrong though.

04-30-08 11:13 PM
    I suppose privacy laws vary from country to country (another reason I am glad I don`t live in the US if it`s just a handful of states that protect privacy - YIKES), but I work for a US telecom and we have very strict recording laws we must follow. Now, whether that is Canadian privacy laws affecting what we do or not I do not know. However, it still stands that it is illegal in some states. Honestly it should be all (although this explains the litigious nature of the US - and the tone of the legal post above me certainly backs that up - recording to catch people in lies - WOW).

I can completely understand companies not wanting recording capability since it could open them up to legal repercussions if the user did this in an area where it`s NOT permitted, and RIM is Canadian as well, isn`t it? Could that have something to do with it?

I still stand by my not wanting my conversations recorded without my consent though. That`s just creepy and how distrustful can you be of the people you speak with to record calls to `catch them in lies`.
    04-30-08 11:21 PM
    Though I think everything has been said here, I'm really curious as to:
    A.-what exactly it is you people feel the need to be so "private" about?
    B.-how its so "illegal" if the government and police agencies of any given country are allowed to do it?

And don't give me some crapola about "national security".

04-30-08 11:34 PM
    That`s the Canadian thing again, believe me the Patriot Act would not fly up here. I still can`t believe you let your government get away with that.

My concern is if it`s a personal conversation between friends. If that is recorded, there are things I told my girlfriends I would never tell anyone else, in confidence. If I found out that was recorded I would flip. Likewise I would never record anyone without asking them permission to do so, as that makes *ME* feel dishonest, cheap and dirty. JMHO. If you want to do that, I suppose thats your perogative, just don`t be surprised if not everyone would be okay with it.

EDIT

To clarify, I don`t agree with police sending in someone wired to lead someone into a `confession`- sometimes it`s so leading it`s unbelievable. If you got the permission to record the conversations with such a program as the OP was asking about, that is one thing. It`s just a really slippery slope to start down to start recording conversations without someones knowledge - *I* consider it a breach of trust, privacy and ethics.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 05-01-08 at 01:00 AM.
    05-01-08 12:57 AM
    It's not that I think I'm important, it's because it's an invasion of privacy to record a call without my knowledge. It's illegal now for a reason, you know. If the OP intends to notify all callers of the fact the call will be recorded, and will not use it on personal calls, then that is fine...but believe me, anyone who has a personal conversation on the phone will be a little more careful about what they say if it's being recorded, and not telling someone they are being recorded is an invasion of privacy.

If you were recording calls while driving, and you didn't tell the other party, you were possibly breaking the law. Consider that before you tell me to grow up. People were asking why it's more often than not no longer available, because I guess it's not common knowledge that recording a call without announcing it is now a federal offence.

My understanding is that it is NOT illegal to record a phone call that you are a party too (although it is illegal to use it if the other party doesn�t consent) it is, however, illegal to record someone else�s phone call. It�s also inadmissible in court if the other party did not know the call was being recorded. But the act of recording calls you are party too is NOT illegal.

�So what is the conclusion? A lawful party to a call that starts and ends in Canada can record that call if they are doing so for a personal or journalistic reason and not a commercial purpose.�

(sorry they won't let me post the url)

Most people are only going to record a call to make sure they got the information right if they are driving etc and can't make notes. If people looking for a way to entrap someone, this is not going to work.
    05-02-08 03:28 PM
    Not illegal here. Only one person has to be aware that the conversation is being recorded.....Me

05-02-08 03:32 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD