in a video I just saw, vivek explains that contacts pictures are based on a search of how you are connected to then. so if you have a contact and have their facebook, then in the contacts app, the facebook picture will represent that person.

but what if you are connected to someone on fb linked in and twitter? which becomes their contacts picture??? I'm sure you can select one, but one would pop up beside their name automatically if its available.....
    12-13-12 07:01 AM
    Right now it is completely broken. On my Dev Alpha, I have several contacts that are repeated 3 or 4 times. The only changes are the contact picture. So for example I have one contact that has 4 entries and the only changes are her pictures. Twitter, facebook, gtalk pics have all caused multiple entires of the same contact. This is my Dev Alpha contact list so it has mostly random people I just added for testing BBM and the contact management and BBM people changing their avatar is enough for me to get another contact entry for them.

Who knows how it will work once it officially releases, but right now it works pretty poorly.
    12-13-12 07:29 AM
    I believe that it would follow along the same lines as the PlayBook's contact app where you can link multiple contact entries and I believe it takes the profile picture of the first contact you choose to link. For example, I have my sister as a regular phone contact, Facebook contact and LinkedIn contact. If I select her Facebook contact and choose to link her phone contact and LinkedIn contact, it will select her Facebook profile picture as the default for the new contact.

However, not having actually played with BB10 I cannot be 100% sure this is how it will work, only going based on how the PlayBook handles contacts.
    12-13-12 08:12 AM
    On the PlayBook, if you go into edit a persons info, you can click on the picture. If they have multiple pictures available, you will be able to choose which one you want to be displayed. If you do not choose a picture, then tfp is correct-that is the default action, but it can be changed if necessary.
    12-13-12 10:26 AM