I received my new O2 Pearl 8120 earlier this week.

We have a good, strong wifi network at home, and when I started playing with it last night I initially had problems getting the phone on the wifi, although it seemed to find it quiet easily it wouldn't actually connect to surf the net. I rang O2 who told me I needed to register my phone at o2email.co.uk which I duly did, after which I found that I could connect to the wireless network and surf the net (but only in certain parts of the house - its an old rambling house, I can live with that). However, I could only do this if I went into "Manage connections" and turned off the mobile network. Not ideal.

Today I came home from work and tried to connect to the wifi again and got no success. When I check the "Manage Connections" it shows an yellow circle with a horizonal line through it instead of a nice green tick (which I have never had on the wifi).

However, if I go into "wifi options" within Manage Connections I sometimes get a strange little blue symbol next to the name of my Wifi network with a cross next to it, which I assume is telling me my wifi connection isn't working. But at other times I get a different symbol of 3 sort of little blue triangles which I assume means there's a connection? Even so when I go back to the browser I can't get online.

O2 are neither use nor ornament. I have had conflicting advice everytime I have called them (and have been told that I shouldn't even be able to access the internet at all nevermind by wireless, depsite the fact they confirmed that I am paying for internet access??!!!).

I have tried taking the battery out which I saw suggested on one of the forums but that hasn't made a difference.

My other half got a new HTC Tytn this week and he has had none of these problems.

Can anyone help please? (in simple terms, I am suddenly discovering I'm not as technologically minded as I thought I was). I'd be really really grateful, I'm tearing my hair out.
    01-03-08 04:18 PM
    Firstly, have you gone into wi-fi options and set the connection to "automatic"? That might fix it.

Regarding the Yellow connection status icon, that is correct. It will only go to Green when it is using the wi-fi for full Blackberry access (i.e using the wi-fi for email). When the connection is Yellow you will still use the wi-fi for internet browsing and apps.

When you are properly connected to your home (or other) network then in the "manage connections" part, next to the Yellow icon it will show the SSID, or name of your router, of your home network. It also shows this next to the network name on the home screen, for example when mine is connected at home it shows......

O2 - UK - Home

The wi-fi icon in the top right corner next to the signal strength indicator is Grey (it only turns White when you have a full BB connection through it)

Now, at the moment on O2 in the UK you will only be able to surf the net and use internet apps through your wi-fi. O2 have disabled full email access through wi-fi for some reason but you don't really need it to be honest.

One final thing, when you are connected to your network as described above, to use wi-fi to browse you need to make sure you are using the "wi-fi browser" so go to the browser, press the menu key and choose "change browser"

Try and ignore what O2 say about your net access, they don't really know too much about BlackBerrys, and particularly the 8120.

So, let me know if the above helps and if not we can go from there as I have the same phone on the same network and mine works fine.

If you got a Blackberry from O2 then you should be able to use the net without wi-fi. Can I ask if you've got Blackberry unlimited or Pay As You Go on your account? Also, underneath the signal strength indicator are the letters gprs or edge in lower case or upper case?

Let me know mate and we'll see what we can sort out
    01-04-08 03:18 AM
    Oh wow thats fixed it!!! Thank you, you have no idea how frustrated I was getting. Have been threating to send the phone back for the last few days.

Yes I can get internet without the wireless, but its partly the principle and partly because I wanted to be able to download things like google maps which I was concerned would be too hefty to use the internet via the phone.

I don't appear to have either Blackberry unlimited or Pay as you Go, thats another problem I've had, and I'm not really sure I've resolved it.

(Bit of a jackanory story I'm afraid) I rang O2 last week to cancel my basic contract, advised them that I was going to move to 2-Mobile because I wanted web&walk and was advised that they offered pretty much the same thing, for the same price (�7.50). When I rang O2 a couple of days ago to double check that there wasn't a download limit (wanted to download google maps) I was told that (a) I shouldn't be able to access the internet at all on my phone (nevermind by wifi), and (b) for the �7.50 all you could do is use their little internal webstuff?! If I wanted to use the Blackberry online I would either have to pay for the Blackberry package (�10 per month) or use pay as you go which is horrendously expensive.

I was furious but the guy was adamant that was the position, so I called back first thing the next day and spoke to the retention team, they frankly seemed a bit confused, went away and spoke to both their 'blackberry team' and their 'connections team' and told me that the package I am on will let me look at the stuff I want to, with just a fair use policy. So I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens when my first bill comes.

Its not the first time I've had a run in with O2, they're fairly useless, but listening to friends I think post mobile providers seem to be the same.

Anyway, you asked about the gprs or edge - They are both lower case, I get gprs at work, but edge at home - whats the difference?

Many thanks again, I can't tell you how much its appreciated!!!!
    01-04-08 02:31 PM
    Glad you got your wi-fi sorted, and glad I could help!!

Here's what's going on with your data plan, and what you could have if you want it.

You currently have a data bolt on. This can be added to any phone to allow browsing around the internet and has a download limit (but I can't quite remember what that is). That is all you can use this for, you cannot use it to do any BlackBerry stuff, like email, this is why your "gprs" and "edge" are in lower case as your BlackBerry knows it can use the data, but when it can use the BlackBerry service then those indicators turn into capital letters.

I would suggest doing the following if you can afford an extra couple of quid a month as it's well worth it......

Call O2 and ask them to remove your data plan and add "BlackBerry Unlimited" to your account. This is an "unlimited" (200MB a month, which is a lot) data plan which lets you use all the BlackBerry things, like email, the BlackBerry Browser, Facebook, messenger, etc.
    It costs �10 per month so a couple of quid more than you pay now but it will more than cover downloading Google Maps and that kind of thing.

This will take a couple of days to happen, for example if you rang on Monday then on Tuesday your data plan would be removed and on Wednesday your BlackBerry plan would be added. You will know when this has been activated on your account as "gprs" or "edge" will now turn into captial letters and you'll probably receive a message that says "Your device has been registered with the wireless network".

Now is the time to go to O2's BlackBerry website and set up your account there. Once you do this all the emails you set up there will be pushed to you.

If, once you've added the BB Unlimited service to your account, you cannot access the Blackberry service then you might need a new sim card as the 8120 is a very new phone. This is very easy to do, just go into an O2 shop and tell them that you've been having problems with your BlackBerry and customer service said you need to do a sim swap. They will give you a new sim card and transfer your number onto it, then you have to wait a couple of hours and your new sim will become active, hopefully with all your services running

Have fun with your BB!!
    01-05-08 03:06 AM
    Hi redfraggle -
    Sorry for hijacking this thread but you are very knowledgable and I am after some expert help if you would be so kind.

I have purchased a new unbranded not locked 8120.
    All connected and everything working with the exception of MMS send.

When I send a picture message to my mobile phone it is received in two message. I have to log into and download the message.

On my earlier/other model Blackberry that's unlocked and provided by o2 there is no problem - I can send MMS and read it on any phone no problem.

I have had an exact problem with a new sony Ericsson phone earlier - but when I downloaded the o2 configuration settings it worked perfectly.

I suspect that the service book is wrong or not configured correctly!

I have resent service books but the problem still remains.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Martin
    02-06-08 03:23 AM
    Managed to get the problem sorted.

I had to reduce the picture image size - this enabled my Sony Erisccon to receive the MMS as it should. Interestingly - when I send an MMS form my Sony, it reduces the size before sending.

Also - when I send a full size image from my 8120 via MMS to a Nokia - it receives it ok without any prior reduction.

Martin
    02-06-08 06:23 AM
    I have supposedly connected to my home wifi. There is the yellow circle etc. but it all appears to be ok. I've tried the wifi browser (updated to be called the hotspot browser) and I can't get any websites. I have turned off phone service and everything.

The wifi icon in the corner seems to be showing a data arrow for sending but not recieving anything back. I tried another open network and couldn't get an IP address there. No sure what is wrong but I don't want to pay for a data package frankly. I am a student and free wifi is what I need.

I would e very greatful if somebody could offer some help. Got Pearl 8120 and I'm on Orange UK thanks, Sam.
    03-12-08 11:14 AM
    i have supposedly connected to my home wifi. There is the yellow circle etc. But it all appears to be ok. I've tried the wifi browser (updated to be called the hotspot browser) and i can't get any websites. I have turned off phone service and everything.

The wifi icon in the corner seems to be showing a data arrow for sending but not recieving anything back. I tried another open network and couldn't get an ip address there. No sure what is wrong but i don't want to pay for a data package frankly. I am a student and free wifi is what i need.

I would e very greatful if somebody could offer some help. Got pearl 8120 and i'm on orange uk thanks, sam.

i have the same problem ((((((
    01-12-10 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD