Hi, I've read countless posts on this forum as well as others and can't seem to find an answer. I purchased a blackberry curve 8900 with wifi three and one half months ago from at&t. I cut off my blackberry personal plan because I have wifi everywhere that I use my internet on my blackberry (Work & Home). I successfully connected to my wifi network but for some reason I can't use my browser or any of my applications (Facebook,Ubertwitter,Pandor). I changed the browser configuration to hotspot browser and it still won't work. The salesman at the store as well as countless friends with the same model blackberry have been able to use it without a data plan and problem free. Can someone help me with this!!?
    11-19-09 06:31 PM
    i've been able to get wifi up and working but still can't get any applications working! Any Ideas?
    11-19-09 07:48 PM
    i believe most, if not all apps, require an active data plan. my FB app never worked over wifi unless there was an active SIM card with active BB data plan in the phone.
    11-19-09 09:55 PM
    The salesman at the store as well as countless friends with the same model blackberry have been able to use it without a data plan and problem free. ...
    You are getting some bad information.

Wifi is included in several models to support Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA). UMA requires both the carrier support and a device with the correct provisioning.

AT&T does not support UMA, there is no way to access your email, messages or third party applications.

Wifi can be used with the special purpose Hotspot Browser. You will be able to browse Internet sites while you have a Wifi connection.

Options / Advanced Options / Browser. Set your default Browser to Hotspot.
    11-20-09 10:12 AM
    ^ Interesting, thanks for the info!
    11-20-09 01:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD