I'm trying all the different IT policy removal techniques, and they all say to go to options->security->general and see if there are IT policies at the bottom, and I never see any, but my firewall is locked on enabled.

But I found one web page where it said to enter a secret code on the options->security->general page and it shows IT policies where none showed before entering the code.

Now I'm danged if I can find that secret code again. Anybody know what it might me?

-Charlie
    06-01-09 11:50 AM
    Go down and see if you see anything in services. Nothing should be listed. Its all the way in the bottom of the listing there.
    06-01-09 12:12 PM
    There is nothing there, but when I entered a secret code there appeared two IT policies, but I can't remember what the secret code was.

I just did another JL_CMDER wipe and the device came up with firewall disabled (yay), but after I did a blackberry desktop restore the locked firewall came back. This is the first time the firewall enable was unlocked after a wipe.

I'm going wipe again and then bring the blackberry up step by step, checking after each step. I just wish I could remember that secret code which reveals the hidden it policies.
    06-01-09 12:25 PM
    The firewall locking is time-related. Apparently after the unit has been up for a short period of time, firewall is enabled and locked. I guess AT&T pushes something down that does that.
    06-01-09 12:29 PM
    The secret code is entered in the options->status screen.

The code is BUYR
    06-18-09 08:49 AM
    Is your BB on a BES? If so, you may want to limit what you do in terms of removing policies, firewalls, etc. Your IT dept. will blow a gasket if you are not allowed to do certain things on your BB, hence the policies. Just be careful, with the economy the way it is, jobs are harder to come by these days if you know what I mean
    06-18-09 09:29 AM
    If you wipe the device just through the handheld menus the IT Policy will stay intact. If you use the JL_CMDER then it will remove the IT policy that is on there. I have never seen where a restore brings the IT Policy back. If that is the case do an advanced backup and only backup the items you need instead of backing up every setting on the device. Then wipe and reload the limited backup.
    06-18-09 09:59 AM
    There is nothing there, but when I entered a secret code there appeared two IT policies, but I can't remember what the secret code was.

I just did another JL_CMDER wipe and the device came up with firewall disabled (yay), but after I did a blackberry desktop restore the locked firewall came back. This is the first time the firewall enable was unlocked after a wipe.

I'm going wipe again and then bring the blackberry up step by step, checking after each step. I just wish I could remember that secret code which reveals the hidden it policies.
    charlie - what happens is when you sync a BB with an IT policy to a DM, a copy of the IT policy is save in the RIM directory (under policy.bin I think). What worked for me is first backing up ONLY messages, contacts, etc. (do an advanced backup and only backup that which has actual data you want to save, none of the settings - those you can redo pretty easily), then uninstall and reinstall DM, use CrackMem, BlackBerry Master Control Program or JL_CMDER to wipe the berry, reinstall OS fresh, and then start DM and do a restore from your backup. Should fix your problem - did for me
    06-18-09 10:04 AM
    charlie - what happens is when you sync a BB with an IT policy to a DM, a copy of the IT policy is save in the RIM directory (under policy.bin I think). What worked for me is first backing up ONLY messages, contacts, etc. (do an advanced backup and only backup that which has actual data you want to save, none of the settings - those you can redo pretty easily), then uninstall and reinstall DM, use CrackMem, BlackBerry Master Control Program or JL_CMDER to wipe the berry, reinstall OS fresh, and then start DM and do a restore from your backup. Should fix your problem - did for me
    That was it!! I did a resettofactory with jl_cmdr again, and I found a file called pool.bin in my bb backup directory. I moved pool.bin to an undisclosed location.

That did it! I have no IT policy now, and several apps which used to throw IT Policy errors don't any more. Status->BUYR shows no IT Policy.

This detail of a policy file stored in the backup directory is missed by all the published IT Removal methods. I'll try and go around and correct that.

Yay! It took a month and a half, but I'm IT Policy free!
    06-27-09 08:56 PM
    I plan on restoring to factory settings to wipe my IT policy (I no longer work for the organisation), I have done a backup and understand that I should only restore contacts and calendar information so as not to get the IT policy coming back again. I don't have BIS - my blackberry only works as a phone - my concern is setting everything up once I've restored to factory settings. Is it really easy?? I don't even know how I'd let the phone know what my number is and that kind of basic information - as I imagine that all gets wiped.
    Last edited by novice_user; 02-21-12 at 12:27 AM.
    02-20-12 08:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD