I thought I would try my hand a writing an app for BB07. I am running Windows 10, and tried to install the SDK. When I try to install WebWorksSDK I get, "Java Development Kit 1.6 or higher not installed." I have checked that Java is installed, and looked at a couple of forums. So I have set the paths, etc. The version is Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_91-b14) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.91-b14, mixed mode, sharing). Not sure what else to do. Perhaps we should not be surprised at the lack of apps if BB can't make installing the SDK any easier??
    04-30-16 09:21 AM
    You sure you have the actual java dev kit installed and not just a java runtime of sort?

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-2133151.html

As for the lack of Apps, OS7 is dead, that's why
    04-30-16 09:48 AM
    You sure you have the actual java dev kit installed and not just a java runtime of sort?

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-2133151.html

As for the lack of Apps, OS7 is dead, that's why
    Thanks Paul. I have tried downloading the JDK from that page, just wondering if that is a 32bit JDK. My reading from the bb forums is that you can get the Java SDK not installed error if it is a 64 bit version. Is the i586 32 bit?

As for the OS7 is dead, yes I understand that it's "dead". It's dead because no one is writing apps for it. I want to find out if writing an app is difficult. But it's not promising if one gets stuck just trying to install the SDK.
    04-30-16 05:07 PM
    Thanks Paul. I have tried downloading the JDK from that page, just wondering if that is a 32bit JDK. My reading from the bb forums is that you can get the Java SDK not installed error if it is a 64 bit version. Is the i586 32 bit?

As for the OS7 is dead, yes I understand that it's "dead". It's dead because no one is writing apps for it. I want to find out if writing an app is difficult. But it's not promising if one gets stuck just trying to install the SDK.

You'd have to check your computer properties to find out if it's 32 or 64, usually under the Computer or My Computer Area
    05-01-16 03:19 AM
    The computer is 64bit with a 64bit installation of Windows 10. However, it seems WebworksSDK looks for a 32bit version of the Java JDK
    05-01-16 09:21 AM
    64-bit computers can run 32-bit applications without any issues. Everything in the Program Files (x86) folder is a 32-bit application.

You need to make sure you have the Java Development Kit as opposed to the more common runtime version, and you'll likely also need the ancient 1.6 version that you can download after creating an account with Oracle.

You may also want to try learning some of the very basics of development and computer platforms. No developer would have issues installing the SDK, but it sounds as if you're trying to pick up everything at once. Everyone needs to start somewhere and trying to learn everything at once can be done with enough patience. Good luck to you!

Posted via CB10
    05-01-16 09:43 AM
    64-bit computers can run 32-bit applications without any issues. Everything in the Program Files (x86) folder is a 32-bit application.

You need to make sure you have the Java Development Kit as opposed to the more common runtime version, and you'll likely also need the ancient 1.6 version that you can download after creating an account with Oracle.

You may also want to try learning some of the very basics of development and computer platforms. No developer would have issues installing the SDK, but it sounds as if you're trying to pick up everything at once. Everyone needs to start somewhere and trying to learn everything at once can be done with enough patience. Good luck to you!

Posted via CB10
    I did a lot of programming up until the mid 1990s, then got into more management roles. I 'me picking it up again now that I have a bit of time to explore it. I managed to get the Eclipse Java Based IDE working and ran the hello world program in the simulator. But no luck as yet with WebworksSDK. I had tried to download the old 1.6 version of the JDK before with no success and removed it, but I may have configured the path incorrectly. I will give that another go soon.
    05-01-16 04:45 PM
    Java doesn't really make anything easy, even when just dealing with the runtime version. I had the SDK running at one point to play around with, but it was the BlackBerry 10 version as opposed to the BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-16 05:50 PM