lol Etervotion .. thanks anyway : ))
    these really are "tinyurl"s .. i had to actually send an email to my phone with that link in it cause i was too lazy to type all that in !! : )

glad to post that 2.0.3 works great with my 8310 now that i got the 42 version !!
    04-24-08 10:44 PM
    Verizon 8830 here. I went to the site and it offers

V 2.0.3 for BB 42 (yes, FORTY-TWO) whatever that is!

I already have Gmaps but how do I find which version - there does not appear to be a Help-about??

edited to add: BB-Options, Advanced, apps, show 2.0.3
    Same here, I also have Ver 2.0.3 right now.
    05-03-08 02:33 PM
    I swapped my 8830 and downloaded GoogleMaps OTA. The version I just got is 2.1.0 ! Haven't noticed any differences yet...
    05-03-08 08:45 PM
    Another Verizon 8830 here and I downloaded Google Maps version 2.1.0 (#2115) today. As others have said, it didn't give me an option of versions, it just picked what it was going to download on my BB.

My BB was also identified as 42 and when I checked the "About" section in the application, it says "Platform: BlackBerry-8830_v4_2"

With Verizon I have no usable GPS, but I do have the GPS option set to "Location On." Google Maps gets my general location, but it seems to change and reset itself every few minutes, even when I don't move my BB. I would guess that it stays within a mile or so of my actual location.
    05-03-08 08:47 PM
    Another Verizon 8830 here and I downloaded Google Maps version 2.1.0 (#2115) today. As others have said, it didn't give me an option of versions, it just picked what it was going to download on my BB.

My BB was also identified as 42 and when I checked the "About" section in the application, it says "Platform: BlackBerry-8830_v4_2"

With Verizon I have no usable GPS, but I do have the GPS option set to "Location On." Google Maps gets my general location, but it seems to change and reset itself every few minutes, even when I don't move my BB. I would guess that it stays within a mile or so of my actual location.
    That's the correct version for 8830's; at least, it's the version I received. If you want a usable GSP, it works fine with my Freedom Keychain 2000.
    05-03-08 09:14 PM
    I just downloaded the latest gmaps for my curve 8330 and I can't get gps to work. Gps works fine with bb maps. Not sure, but I think the problem is with gmaps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-08 10:29 PM
    Try installing Gmaps 2.0.1 and see what happens ..
    05-04-08 01:33 AM
    I have tried versions 2.0.3 and 2.1.0, both of which say version 42 (internal gps) and still no working gps. Both installs also show bluetooth as an option in the gmaps menu.
    05-04-08 07:37 AM
    Every GMaps version that i tried that had that Bluetooth option in the menu did not recognize the internal GPS .. i finally got the 2.0.1 that did not have the BT in the menu and it works fine.

I hate to steer people away from a Google product (G is always my 1st choice) to a microsoft -but- the new live search has a GPS feature that always connected with my internal GPS with no problem and it actually works as good as google. So, if you can't figure our Gmaps go to wls.live.com and give it a shot .. GPS tracking as you move, Traffic, Directions, Movies, it’s all there ..
    Last edited by APcell; 05-05-08 at 07:58 PM.
    05-05-08 12:47 AM
    Every GMaps version that i tried that had that Bluetooth option in the menu did not recognize the internal GPS .. i finally got the 2.0.1 that did not have the BT in the menu and it works fine.

I hate to steer people away from a Google product (G is always my 1st choice) to a microsoft -but- the new live search has a GPS feature that found my internal GPS with no problem and it actually works as good as google. So, if you can't figure our Gmaps go to wls.live.com and give it a shot .. GPS tracking as you move, Traffic, Directions, Movies, it�s all there ..
    How did you get version 2.0.1? I have looked all over the google web site and can not find any older versions. I also didn't find any help on their support site. I was able to find other users with the same complaints in that gmaps is not finding their internal GPS.
    05-05-08 07:50 AM
    bigdaddymring, APCell: Have you performed the John Clark optimization procedure? It just occurred to me that Google may be looking at the vendor.xml file to determine what version to send when we d/l OTA. John's procedure has us delete the vendor.xml file. Have you deleted your vendor.xml file? If you haven't, rename it to something else or delete it and retry the d/l from google.
    05-05-08 08:06 AM
    I' m not a big fan of windows, but the live search is really a nice program. I may have to forget about google maps for a while.
    05-05-08 09:30 AM
    Jeff - yes, i have deleted vendor.xml (since day 1 of the installation) ..

what happens is that when i go to the web page to download Gmaps OTA i am redirected to the 'blackberry 40' version .. i am guessing that's because i connect through T-mob's wap (i.e. voicestream) and the OTA installation prog figures that out. Once i manually typed the address for the 'blackberry 42' Gmaps all worked just fine (as if i was with ATT for example) .. i really can't figure out why BigD's is not working.
    05-05-08 08:04 PM
    same here - not a big fan of windows progs BUT that live search is (at least) as good as Gmaps (it does not have the address book feature like G, but it does provide movie times/local info that G does not)
    05-05-08 08:06 PM
    APCell: thanks for ruling out vendor.xml involvement.

bigdaddymring: it's not clear from your post, at least to me: did you d/l the 'blackberry 42' gmm using the link APCell provided earlier in this thread?
    05-05-08 09:36 PM
    you can get 2.0.1 here i believe: > LINK <

That url is:
    w w w .google.com/gmm/apps/v2.0.1/L1/BlackBerry-42/GoogleMaps.jad?make=BlackBerry&model=42&ver=v2.0.1
    05-05-08 10:32 PM
    mine cant fin my location its all off
    05-06-08 12:11 AM
    I installed BB maps and found it faulty on occassion. AftEr it have me the wrong diRections to a mtng with my boss I got rid of it. Still have the job but was in a lot of trouble for being an hour late!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-08 02:53 AM
    APCell: thanks for ruling out vendor.xml involvement.

bigdaddymring: it's not clear from your post, at least to me: did you d/l the 'blackberry 42' gmm using the link APCell provided earlier in this thread?
    Yes I tried the download. I also found and tried 2.0.1 with no luck. Each download was version 42 so I'm not sure of the problem either. BB maps and windows live both found and used the internal GPS. I'm going to let it go for a while and use the two that work. I try again later when I get bored.
    05-06-08 07:53 AM
    Heh .. sounds good .. in fact win live is pretty good !! if G is not working, you really are not missing on much (if anything).
    05-08-08 08:00 PM
    mine cant fin my location its all off
    well .. that's VERIZON for you .. those lock out the GPS on their phones unless you pay a monthly fee to use it .. so in effect, you pay for the GPS hardware, GPS services are free (the satellites that is), yet they don't allow you to use the part of your phone that you have already paid for and has nothing to do with their network (unless you download maps that is).

I was considering VERIZON up until i learn about that .. (it's ridiculous imo � I hope they lose enough customers to chance that stupid policy) ..
    05-08-08 08:06 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD