So I got the keyone nearly a month ago as it was released in the United states. Coming from classic it felt long n heavy but now as the time went it feels tiny in my hands as I've long hands.

Ordered a q10 for my mother last week n got it yesterday,opened it and I was surprised. What a tiny f***ing thing is this, didn't believe I used this thing once with so small screen.

As the screens are getting bigger with every phone, I don't think they can go with a further bigger screen with a pkb like keyone in the future. It's gonna get difficult to handle while typing n I can't go back to q10 or classic after using keyone.

I know it depends a lot on how well the keyone does in terms of sales to think about a future pkb device but I think priv might be a nice model to keep in mind while designing a pkb device,touch screen for all plus the pkb for some of us who likes it and who wants it.

BTW keyone China pre-orders were at 111k yesterday as I read on some blog.
    1khalid likes this.
    08-13-17 07:59 PM
    I know it depends a lot on how well the keyone does in terms of sales to think about a future pkb device but I think priv might be a nice model to keep in mind while designing a pkb device,touch screen for all plus the pkb for some of us who likes it and who wants it.
    The issue with that is, if the KEYone sells, why not make phones similar to it instead of reaching back to a model that sold worse?
    08-13-17 08:04 PM
    Why did the PRIV sell bad anyway?? It seemed like it had everything going for it...
    08-14-17 12:57 AM
    I honestly think the Priv / sliders are done!
    Cost for development & production are too high.
    All those mechanical parts ain't a thing for today.

Don't get me wrong, I really miss those days of creative solution like back in the late 90s and early 2000s - but I think it's over.
    Profit > anything nowadays.

So I only see a full touch or a candybar style keyboard device in future.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-17 01:33 AM
    Why did the PRIV sell bad anyway?? It seemed like it had everything going for it...
    Because people who NEED a PKB generally want the best keyboard possible with the screen size a secondary consideration.

The market for those who occasionally want a PKB as an option is not as large but maybe large enough to justify a new slider. Some slider lovers would actually prefer a smaller device than the PRIV.

In my opinion there is no discernible market for a landscape slider.
    08-14-17 01:36 AM
    -IMO way too expensive (+800 bucks) for a device from a company where people (at least the masses) didn't know it they would still exist a year after launch.

-Chipset was not the best choice (too battery hungry).

-And camera lense on the backside is made from cheap plastic, which is really easy to scratch.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-17 01:39 AM
    If TCL still has alot of unsold PRIV's, any chance they might swap out the not so great 808 for a 625 like the KEYone and re-release it? Or am I dreaming again?

Think of the land mine (cough.. note..cough..7) which Samsung took the huge stock still on board and swapped a smaller battery into it and re-released it in Asia as the Note Fan Edition
    08-14-17 02:43 AM
    If TCL still has alot of unsold PRIV's, any chance they might swap out the not so great 808 for a 625 like the KEYone and re-release it? Or am I dreaming again?

Think of the land mine (cough.. note..cough..7) which Samsung took the huge stock still on board and swapped a smaller battery into it and re-released it in Asia as the Note Fan Edition
    No chance, and the priv wasn't TCL built.
    08-14-17 04:10 AM
    Overpriced ($700 at intro, cleared out at $300... probably should have sold for $500 on release)

Poor carrier support in the beginning. At first the choices were AT&T or unlocked. AT&T required money down because they didn't want to eat the cost of the phone if it was returned. Not having Verizon on board at launch is practically a death sentence for any phone. T-Mobile and VZ did come along eventually but it was too late by then.

BlackBerry was a bad word by 2015. Don't let the posters at crackberry fool you. People associate BlackBerry with outdated, junk phones. People using old Android phones that my Priv can run circles around still turn their noses up when they see the BlackBerry logo on it. BB10 did absolutely nothing to help that.

There are other smaller factors (heat issues, not shipping with Marshmallow). But I'm out of time for now.
    08-14-17 04:53 AM

Yup. Dreaming again.
    08-14-17 07:24 AM
    There was a some things I really liked about the Priv. I thought the look of the slider design was great. It had a great screen as well. The software ran well on mine too for the most part and didn't lag much at all.

But the problems far outweighed what I liked about it:

- Battery life was miserable
    - Phone constantly ran hot
    - I hated the keyboard. Just because a phone has a pkb doesn't mean its going to be a pleasure to type on it. It was too small, and felt so cheap when I hit the buttons. I never thought I'd feel a cheaper feeling keyboard than like what was on the Palm Pre phones. The Priv took the prize though and was awful.
    - The camera was mediocre at best
    - The reception I got with that phone was absolutely horrific. I've never dropped so many calls in my life.
    - My slider, after a few weeks of use, began to grind and struggled to open.
    - The back of the phone had a mushy feel to it that drove me nuts every time I held it.

I ended up returning the phone to Amazon. The Priv, although it was BB's first foray into Android, felt like it was the first phone they ever made. It was poorly designed inside and out and deserved to fail in my opinion.
    08-14-17 07:36 AM
    There was a some things I really liked about the Priv. I thought the look of the slider design was great. It had a great screen as well. The software ran well on mine too for the most part and didn't lag much at all.

But the problems far outweighed what I liked about it:

- Battery life was miserable
    - Phone constantly ran hot
    - I hated the keyboard. Just because a phone has a pkb doesn't mean its going to be a pleasure to type on it. It was too small, and felt so cheap when I hit the buttons. I never thought I'd feel a cheaper feeling keyboard than like what was on the Palm Pre phones. The Priv took the prize though and was awful.
    - The camera was mediocre at best
    - The reception I got with that phone was absolutely horrific. I've never dropped so many calls in my life.
    - My slider, after a few weeks of use, began to grind and struggled to open.
    - The back of the phone had a mushy feel to it that drove me nuts every time I held it.

I ended up returning the phone to Amazon. The Priv, although it was BB's first foray into Android, felt like it was the first phone they ever made. It was poorly designed inside and out and deserved to fail in my opinion.
    So basically the Priv is awesome in theory, but not so much in the real world, at least for some people
    08-14-17 07:44 AM
    So basically the Priv is awesome in theory, but not so much in the real world, at least for some people
    BlackBerry in a nutshell.
    08-14-17 07:46 AM
    BlackBerry in a nutshell.
    I feel like it all comes down to more rigorous quality control. Why do some have good functioning devices that last over time with no defects and others have straight up lemons?
    This means that TCL/BBMo ARE capable of manufacturing more than decent devices, but maybe they cheapen out on the QC testing?
    Anyway this should be an easy fix, which is basically devoting more time and energy into each batch of phones that come out of that assembly line
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-14-17 07:59 AM
    Because people who NEED a PKB generally want the best keyboard possible with the screen size a secondary consideration.
    This is just my opinion but I think that the *best* keyboard possible was sacrificed when the Q10 launched with completely horizontal keys. The curved keyboard of the legacy devices made them more ergonomic and truly more comfortable to use, even when the overall size was smaller.

I'm not sure if what prompted this change was allowing for a larger screen or possibly just an aesthetic choice to look more modern, but I personally would love a comeback of the curved shaped rows. Even on a virtual keyboard it would be great!
    Wezard likes this.
    08-14-17 08:06 AM
    I feel like it all comes down to more rigorous quality control. Why do some have good functioning devices that last over time with no defects and others have straight up lemons?
    This means that TCL/BBMo ARE capable of manufacturing more than decent devices, but maybe they cheapen out on the QC testing?
    Anyway this should be an easy fix, which is basically devoting more time and energy into each batch of phones that come out of that assembly line
    Not all of those issues listed were QC though, they seem more like issues with the design of the phone itself (keyboard, battery/heat from the CPU, camera, reception) or its software (camera, reception). If one has the perfect storm of network, charging regimens, camera circumstances, etc. then that would only aggravate issues inherent to the phone. A bad phone built well is still a bad phone.
    08-14-17 08:25 AM
    Not all of those issues listed were QC though, they seem more like issues with the design of the phone itself (keyboard, battery/heat from the CPU, camera, reception) or its software (camera, reception). If one has the perfect storm of network, charging regimens, camera circumstances, etc. then that would only aggravate issues inherent to the phone. A bad phone built well is still a bad phone.
    The only way to have prevented the heat issue with the SD808 and still have a slider would be to make the phone thicker to accommodate a bigger CPU heat sink. They also could have gotten a bigger battery in as well. But then the phone would have looked bulky and clumsy.

The other option would have been to use a weaker CPU. But the Priv was supposed to be a "flagship," so we wound up with what we got.

I love my Priv but it only takes about 15-20 minutes of playing a game for it to go into thermal throttling. And you can literally FEEL the heat. I want a PKB but I don't want another slider.
    08-14-17 09:21 AM
    Priv didn't sell well mostly because of price on launch and blackberry's poor reputation. Many of the hardware issues relate to unrealistic owner expectations. Would a modern slider sell? I doubt it cause two keyboards is one too many and the design compromises result in a poor experience.
    08-14-17 09:36 AM
    The other option would have been to use a weaker CPU. But the Priv was supposed to be a "flagship," so we wound up with what we got.
    That, or push the release date back even further to get the Snapdragon 820 available (i.e. Q1 2016), but knowing BB that would still have launched with Lollipop.
    08-14-17 09:40 AM
    That, or push the release date back even further to get the Snapdragon 820 available (i.e. Q1 2016), but knowing BB that would still have launched with Lollipop.
    Good bet based on when it was finally released. I remember when the PRIV finally came to Verizon, it still had Lollipop and was coming on the heels of the S7 which had Marshmallow. Between the specs, pricing and lack of incentives (think the S7 had a BOGO or some other offer).... PRIV had no chance in March of 2016.

Think Marshmallow really helped those 808 and 810 devices... wonder if BlackBerry had the capabilities if they couldn't have fixed the PRIV with a software patch to throttle the CPUs even more than Marshmallow did.

For my 808 powered DROID, Nougat brought back the heating and poor battery life - well worse than I had before, but still more than a day. Have to wonder if the PRIV would have been worse off on Nougat also.
    08-14-17 10:36 AM
    That was my experience with the phone. Others may have a different opinion though.
    08-14-17 12:11 PM
    Priv was a flop because they really didn't advertise it as much as they should have. An android based phone with a sliding PKB that nobody knows existed.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    08-14-17 02:59 PM
    Priv was released with Lollipop, it didn't do very well with that.
    Then, AT&T was the sole carrier that had it at release. There was a real bug with texting and emails, BB promptly released an update that corrected the text / email issues, but AT&T refused to release the fix. I don't remember how long AT&T sat on the fix, but they did get several boatloads of Privs returned. Then started telling anybody inquiring about the the Priv, that most of them had been returned, and had text / email problems.

BlackBerry never should have released it with Lollipop, the heat and battery issues were real on that OS. But AT&T, being the only place to get one with out mail ordering direct, finished putting the nails in the coffin.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    08-14-17 03:11 PM
    I'm not so sure. I was very interested in the Priv initially but once I got my hands on a demo I passed and stayed with a Classic, mostly because I didn't care for the keyboard. I would be interested in seeing how many people used both a Priv and a KeyOne and prefer the KeyOne's pkb.
    08-14-17 08:25 PM
    when BB first brought out the bigger screen with the slide out KB I wanted it, plus it looked and felt gorgeous.
    For me, it gives the best of both worlds. A much bigger screen and a PKB that you then tuck away. a clever solution. It's a no-brainer. BUT, it seems that those of us who ethoy this genius vision are few and far between.
    So, it's a case of seeing where the limit of screen with PKB is. 4.7? 5 inch? The emphasis ahould be on making the PKB as brilliant as possibles. And I mean really really good, as this is the raison d'être of the KEYone.
    08-15-17 01:13 PM
38 12