When can we start using the PRIV app downloads in Google Play as a barometer?

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 08:13 AM
    I saw my first Priv a few days ago! So I doubt it will be in millions!
    Yup, that logic checks out.
    03-30-16 08:14 AM
    So more then 10 is Positive right......
    Anything more than zero is positive :-)

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    03-30-16 08:43 AM
    No one knows how many Priv have sold. Blackberry never breaks down sales by device, only total devices sold. So if the numbers have gone up from last quarter then for sure Priv did well. To figure out Priv sales look at the ASP figure, if it went up again from last quater then a simple calculation will tell you how many Privs sold. Last quarter 200,000 Privs sold in three weeks. My estimate for this quater is 800,000 to 1 million Privs sold, and 300,000 BB10 devices, for a grand total of 1.1 to 1.3 Million devices. Remember Blackberry does not break down sales by device, so stop posting silly threads.
    03-30-16 07:17 PM
    The prediction from analysts are 850,000 Privs sold in Q4.
    03-31-16 10:32 PM
    The prediction from analysts are 850,000 Privs sold in Q4.
    If that's true, then that is a huge success for BlackBerry. With the Priv price, that's probably 500 million in revenue.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-16 10:57 PM
    If that's true, then that is a huge success for BlackBerry. With the Priv price, that's probably 500 million in revenue.

Posted via CB10
    571 million is predicted for the quarter. Wall Street predicted 565 million.

Here's the link: Wells Fargo: BlackBerry shipped 850,000 Priv smartphones during quarter, but distribution may lag - FierceWireless
    03-31-16 11:10 PM
    571 million is predicted for the quarter. Wall Street predicted 565 million.

Here's the link: Wells Fargo: BlackBerry shipped 850,000 Priv smartphones during quarter, but distribution may lag - FierceWireless
    850K Priv's shipped, not sold.
    04-01-16 02:53 AM
    850K Priv's shipped, not sold.
    If so, BB is back to playing their old game of announcing sell-in rather than sell-through.

It makes the figures look better.
    04-01-16 03:11 AM
    If true that's a very positive development. We should see another one then.
    04-01-16 04:23 AM
    Here's hoping they had a good quarter! I'd hate to see BlackBerry leave the phone business.

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    04-01-16 05:14 AM
    I could make a career out of predicting quarterly device sales figures!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-01-16 08:04 AM
    I could make a career out of predicting quarterly device sales figures!

Ye same here. Ida thought it wouldn't sell big time. 600k total, it's a joke.
    04-01-16 02:17 PM
    Ye same here. Ida thought it wouldn't sell big time. 600k total, it's a joke.
    You gotta figure some of that 600,000 sold were also BB10 and probably a few BBOS devices. I'm thinking the Priv sold less than 350,000. It sucks but not unexpected given their ridiculous price tag. Like how the hell does BlackBerry think they have earned the right to sell such an expensive device? Their reputation has been in the toilet for years.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB, JeepBB and Wybrem like this.
    04-01-16 04:11 PM
    You gotta figure some of that 600,000 sold were also BB10 and probably a few BBOS devices. I'm thinking the Priv sold less than 350,000. It sucks but not unexpected given their ridiculous price tag. Like how the hell does BlackBerry think they have earned the right to sell such an expensive device? Their reputation has been in the toilet for years.

Posted via CB10
    I just think it shows they weren't that serious. They knew some diehards would buy anything.
    JeepBB, Bbnivende and MikeX74 like this.
    04-01-16 04:15 PM
    Not serious...really? Are you serious?

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 04:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    Great contribution. Thanks for sharing your valuable insight.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 04:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Do you think they made a serious effort to sell the Priv? Please provide one example of how they intended to sell this device besides announcing it was available on their website and that it was also available through carriers.
    04-01-16 05:44 PM
    Do you think they made a serious effort to sell the Priv? Please provide one example of how they intended to sell this device besides announcing it was available on their website and that it was also available through carriers.
    I have to say I have not seen a great deal of advertising happening for ANY smartphone in recent history. Perhaps the occasional feel good Apple ad. I have to admit I honestly never seen an advertisement for a Nexus, Samsung, LG, HTC smartphone device either. Same goes for web ads. I did receive quite a few emails from BlackBerry about Priv. Checked out the weblinks, read the info. I also recall some full page ads in newspapers, etc. So yeah they did reach out. Was it 'serious'? I would say so, whatever that really means. But I can say that every time I have entered or passed by a service carrier shop, or a cell phone kiosk, that BlackBerry devices are almost never displayed adequately, hardly ever so much as powered up, and the sales staff have little to no knowledge about how they work or what they are capable of doing. This has little to do with marketing and advertising, and far more to do with financial incentives I dare say anti-competitive practices that have been alleged but never proven in court. And besides, iOS and Android push the most content and that sells Internet bandwidth and generates revenue. If BlackBerry really wants to be truly successful again they should not be aiming at niche markets, business execs, and techno geeks... they should build phones for CARRIERS, phones that carriers will market and sell and I dare say, actually promote. Again that is not marketing, that is 100% a design issue and an issue of the core principles, goals, and objectives of the business.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 10:32 PM
    I have to say I have not seen a great deal of advertising happening for ANY smartphone in recent history. Perhaps the occasional feel good Apple ad. I have to admit I honestly never seen an advertisement for a Nexus, Samsung, LG, HTC smartphone device either. Same goes for web ads. I did receive quite a few emails from BlackBerry about Priv. Checked out the weblinks, read the info. I also recall some full page ads in newspapers, etc. So yeah they did reach out. Was it 'serious'? I would say so, whatever that really means. But I can say that every time I have entered or passed by a service carrier shop, or a cell phone kiosk, that BlackBerry devices are almost never displayed adequately, hardly ever so much as powered up, and the sales staff have little to no knowledge about how they work or what they are capable of doing. This has little to do with marketing and advertising, and far more to do with financial incentives I dare say anti-competitive practices that have been alleged but never proven in court. And besides, iOS and Android push the most content and that sells Internet bandwidth and generates revenue. If BlackBerry really wants to be truly successful again they should not be aiming at niche markets, business execs, and techno geeks... they should build phones for CARRIERS, phones that carriers will market and sell and I dare say, actually promote. Again that is not marketing, that is 100% a design issue and an issue of the core principles, goals, and objectives of the business.

Posted via CB10
    Yes and no, they do build phones for carriers hence "carrier locked".....LOL Also they have not pushed the Priv at all. Maybe once no money at all for product placement......that's the thing that puts your product top shelf.......nope none......yup a few newspaper adds should sell another six maybe seven phones. All the time people ask to see my passport than marvel at the fact: one its a BlackBerry and two BlackBerry still makes phones.

WOOF!
    05-08-16 12:05 PM
    Well, Ron Louks (the man responsible for Priv, and BlackBerry's Android strategy) has now left.

What will be interesting is whether there will be any shift in their strategy and execution (I suspect that there will not).

That horse is too dead to flog, whatever they do.

I still think BlackBerry would be wise to make Hub, etc. available on Play Store to all Android devices.

05-11-16 09:07 AM
    Well, Ron Louks (the man responsible for Priv, and BlackBerry's Android strategy) has now left.

What will be interesting is whether there will be any shift in their strategy and execution (I suspect that there will not).

That horse is too dead to flog, whatever they do.

I still think BlackBerry would be wise to make Hub, etc. available on Play Store to all Android devices.

We are hearing and seeing signs for BlackBerry changing how they get devcies to "their customers".

I expect that if these two new devices do actually come to market, they will come in a very different manner. Allowing BlackBerry to keep the ASP high, while selling device that start out less expensive that the PRIV was.

But it will be an experiment... maybe they'll have enough of a market to make it work.
    05-11-16 10:37 AM
    We are hearing and seeing signs for BlackBerry changing how they get devcies to "their customers".

I expect that if these two new devices do actually come to market, they will come in a very different manner. Allowing BlackBerry to keep the ASP high, while selling device that start out less expensive that the PRIV was.

But it will be an experiment... maybe they'll have enough of a market to make it work.
    What do you believe the new strategy would be?

Edit: Not to speak for you, but upon reflection I believe you're suggesting direct sales to corporate clients (and perhaps the BB-buying general public, such as remains). It's no fool-proof plan, but it's the best HW marketing card they have to play, imo.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Jack Chin; 05-11-16 at 03:56 PM.
    05-11-16 03:36 PM
    What do you believe the new strategy would be?
    Maybe a direct sell approach--bypassing carriers to an even greater extent than before?
    05-11-16 03:53 PM
    This could lead to the recent tweet of nearly incredible interest in BlackBerry10 by Chen...

Posted via CB10
    Did I miss something? If Blackberry realizes that the Android venture was a mistake and starts trying to advance the BB10 ball again, I'll buy a BB10 device and come back...
    05-11-16 04:26 PM
76 1234