Big name apps are free. BlackBerry should have selected the big name apps. No need for small developers.
    BB10 had many "big name" apps and developers on BB World at launch. The problem is there are a lot of "big names".
    10-04-16 10:39 AM
    BB10 had many "big name" apps and developers on BB World at launch. The problem is there are a lot of "big names".
    I mean the real big ones. . No more than 20.
    10-04-16 12:58 PM
    I mean the real big ones. . No more than 20.
    Top 20 apps from which OS platform? Country? Category?
    10-04-16 01:25 PM
    Top 20 apps from which OS platform? Country? Category?
    US. Shopping and social networks.
    10-04-16 01:32 PM
    What do you do when they say they don't want to make an app for you?
    10-04-16 01:39 PM
    What do you do when they say they don't want to make an app for you?
    Pay them more?
    10-04-16 01:42 PM
    Pay them more?
    What do you do when they refuse any amount. Many big names reportedly did that. As I said before Netflix turned down money AND not having to build it themselves.
    10-04-16 01:44 PM
    The thing is there is no real point in getting an Android BB. All the tools are basically available on any phone and currently the Android market is extremely tough with a lot of players fighting for the cheapest, yet best phone. Where's the place for BlackBerry in that?

I think the move to Android turned out to be a bad decision. It would have been better to stick to BB10 and to be a real niche player but offering a great end to end mobile device management.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I agree with you..they are the one who started and created the OS 10..and now android and ios done the same thing...BlackBerry should've stick on improving and keeps on empowering the OS 10 instead of shifting and started with the use of marshmallow.

Posted via CB10
    JulesDB likes this.
    10-04-16 01:44 PM
    I agree with you..they are the one who started and created the OS 10..and now android and ios done the same thing...BlackBerry should've stick on improving and keeps on empowering the OS 10 instead of shifting and started with the use of marshmallow.

Posted via CB10
    Not the keyboard.
    10-04-16 01:48 PM
    What do you do when they refuse any amount. Many big names reportedly did that. As I said before Netflix turned down money AND not having to build it themselves.
    Doesn't make sense. Could be made up by BlackBerry.
    10-04-16 01:49 PM
    Doesn't make sense. Could be made up by BlackBerry.
    It makes sense when you consider big names like to control the experience you have with their app with an iron fist. No third parties, no compromises. Most of these companies when contacted about support of other OS like BB10 or Jolla Sailfish told people to switch to android or iOS. The narrative with many developers has been switch to what we already support. They don't support minorities. End of story
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-04-16 01:52 PM
    It makes sense when you consider big names like to control the experience you have with their app with an iron fist. No third parties, no compromises.
    I get that. Don't get the part they refused.
    10-04-16 01:53 PM
    No way, the priv barely sold mate. BB10 at least sold quite a bit starting from the first release of the Z10. They did alright with BB10 and I personally like it a lot myself. this is coming from Android user that's been on Samsung devices for a long time. I am currently typing this on a Note5 but I still prefer my Q10 over any of my phones any day of the week. bb10 devices over android BB any day for me. I prefer having bb10 because to me it's fast and very smooth. much better than all other mobile platforms.
    The priv should have sold though. Verizon for example pretty much just puts it on the website and ignores it. I'd buy another phone like it in a minute. Mine has been rock solid. Love the versatility of the 2 keyboards. I loved bb10 and my z30 until they stopped supporting it. Don't know where I'll go when it is time to replace the priv. Got some time to think about it. Might try to find another one cheap and just buy that as long as marshmallow hits for Verizon. We shall see. a lot of the reason I bought a priv was for security updates. Verizon is dropping the ball and taking a crap on it for that though

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    10-04-16 01:54 PM
    I get that. Don't get the part they refused.
    The belief is they didn't want to support a BB10 app for a small minority. Thing is they could have just ported their android one. Many big devs didn't even decide to do that. There's only so much money BlackBerry can offer before it doesn't make sense.
    10-04-16 01:59 PM
    Like, Autotrader, Amazon, Flipp, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, WhatsApp, etc? BlackBerry was very aggressive in getting as many developers onto the platform as they could (big and small). Unfortunately it just wasn't enough, there are a lot of big apps.

There are good articles on Crackberry about their initiatives.

BlackBerry's Marty Mallick talks about Instagram and other big players on BB10 | CrackBerry.com

What's BlackBerry doing to help get more apps on the platform? | CrackBerry.com

BlackBerry Jam | CrackBerry.com
    10-04-16 02:54 PM
    There are good articles on Crackberry about their initiatives.
    This one in particular gives a very good insight into the minds of big developers - you'd get more-or-less the same answer from a whole lot of them:

BlackBerry's Alec Saunders sounded off candidly about the status of Instagram elsewhere at the show, saying that if users wanted to share photos on BlackBerry 10, they'd have to check out one of the many alternatives available. We needled Mallick about Instagram, and he had a pretty comprehensive answer to the situation.

"Instagram is obviously a partnership that we're really anxious and really excited to work with. To date they have not announced support for BlackBerry 10, but discussions do continue with them. ... One of the things that Instagram has pointed out to me in the past is they didn't support Android until Android had been in the market for over 18 months and was in the hundreds of million users range. The message to us was 'Don't feel so bad, because we don't jump on new platforms on day one. We take our time. We've very diligent in the experience.' The fact that they're not here now, six months in, really doesn't mean they won't be here in the future. ... We don't like it, but we have to respect it."
    What Instagram is saying is: show me the userbase. They want to see hundreds of millions of phones in use. BB10 only barely hit 10M before it started to slide, with currently about 8M in global use. Big developers simply don't care about 10M users - that is nothing to them.

Netflix, Facebook, and many others gave exactly the same answer to BB: "Show me a huge userbase, or quit bugging me." It's the same answer they had for WebOS, and the same answer they have for Tizen, Sailfish, and others. It isn't BB hate - it's calculated disinterest in niche platforms across the board. Many are even pulling support for WinPhone due to its abysmal numbers, and that's Microsoft! Many of these bigger companies could call MS and get a check for half a billion dollars or more FedEx'ed to them if they'd just agree to develop an updated client with feature-parity with Android and iOS for WinPhone 10, and they still won't do it. If they won't take half a billion of MS's money, what can BB offer them? The answer is: nothing.

Which is why I say: BB lost the war before the first line of BB10 code was even written. They'd have had to release their new OS no later than 2010 (and it would have needed to be more-or-less stable and bug-free, and fairly feature-complete). In other words, they'd have had to have 10.2.1 ready in early 2010, instead of early 2014. In those 4 years, BB's chances of success with BB10 slipped away - but really, their success was lost back in 2006-2007, by not having a next-gen OS in the works when clearly BBOS was at its developmental limit and loud rumors of an Apple phone were running around. The defeat happened under Mike & Jim, not under Heins and Chen.
    10-04-16 08:27 PM
    The belief is they didn't want to support a BB10 app for a small minority. Thing is they could have just ported their android one. Many big devs didn't even decide to do that. There's only so much money BlackBerry can offer before it doesn't make sense.
    I assume you are not in software development. Developing an app does cost money but that is only a fraction of the cost. Support of an app is more expensive. Apps supporting a backend like Netflix need constant updates as changes are made to improve the system. Adding support for a new platform requires a major cost analysis. BB10s market share is too small to get a large company to make the investment, even if the platform company is willing to pay for the initial development.

I can't speak for other companies, but the company I was working for in 2012 -2015 had initially planned to support BB10 with our app. Work and started by spring of 2013 but was canceled by the Fall. The work was never resumed so we could concentrate and focus on the iOS and Android. We had really so little demand for BB10 we never had any reason to reconsider the decision.
    JeepBB and app_Developer like this.
    10-06-16 12:23 AM
    Would it have been feasible for BlackBerry to have opened up it's own Android apps shop instead of relying on Amazon? Operating as if BlackBerry was a forked Android?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-16 12:33 AM
    Would it have been feasible for BlackBerry to have opened up it's own Android apps shop instead of relying on Amazon? Operating as if BlackBerry was a forked Android?
    Amazon had far, FAR more to offer developers than BB did when it comes to integrated support and customers who already had registered credit cards and a willingness to pay, and they couldn't make a competitive app store. There is no reason to believe that BB could have done as well as Amazon, much less better. Ultimately, you still have to be able to give developers what they want, and they want one or both of:

• a huge userbase
    • new, innovative features that allow them to make their apps substantially better - enough to pull users from other platforms.

BB couldn't deliver either.
    10-06-16 10:09 AM
    Amazon had far, FAR more to offer developers than BB did when it comes to integrated support and customers who already had registered credit cards and a willingness to pay, and they couldn't make a competitive app store. There is no reason to believe that BB could have done as well as Amazon, much less better. Ultimately, you still have to be able to give developers what they want, and they want one or both of:

• a huge userbase
    • new, innovative features that allow them to make their apps substantially better - enough to pull users from other platforms.

BB couldn't deliver either.
    Yes I see.. No matter how you cut it an Android phone in North America (not sure of other markets) needs Google Play Services. A work around only works here.

Here is what Chen said:

Chen tried to remove that problem last fall in a partnership with the Amazon Appstore, which offers thousands of apps built for the Android operating system.

His hope was that Amazon�s store would see its app selection multiply quickly after the launch of the Amazon Fire phone last year.

�I was dying for Amazon to be successful with their phone,� Chen said.

But when sales of Amazon�s first device failed to ignite it left Chen in a partnership that wasn�t quite as ideal as he�d hoped � many apps, like Netflix and Snapchat, were still missing from the mix � and sales showed that customer weren�t swayed by the proposition.

From a news article.
    10-06-16 12:31 PM
    I think it's funny how people keep arguing about what's a bigger failure. BB10 or Android, when the actual answer is that BlackBerry is the failure. The OS is not the core problem. We've got evidence and demonstrations of both Android and BB10 phones failing, so anyone that keeps insisting that the PRODUCT is the problem is fooling themselves.

The products have various issues, but Note 7 phones explode and iphones bend and yet they can overcome these issues.

So perhaps it is time to stop creating elaborate lists of reasons when simpler, more obvious ones will do.

KAM

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB, krazyatom and JulesDB like this.
    10-07-16 10:49 AM
    Marketing was the failure imo. Neither of them was marketed aggressively so that is why they both failed.
    10-07-16 04:28 PM
    Marketing was the failure imo. Neither of them was marketed aggressively so that is why they both failed.
    That sounds good until you do the actual analysis. If you spend a lot of money on advertising, you better plan on selling a lot of phones. If you plan on selling a lot of phones, you have to make huge commitments to suppliers (who are very busy filling huge orders from your competitors) . Then you realize you have less than $2B to work with, which is not enough to make this grand plan work.

It's easy to say "spend more!", but it's not that simple in reality, especially in the consumer electronics market when competing with giant competitors who can spend $2B a week.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-07-16 06:48 PM
    That sounds good until you do the actual analysis. If you spend a lot of money on advertising, you better plan on selling a lot of phones. If you plan on selling a lot of phones, you have to make huge commitments to suppliers (who are very busy filling huge orders from your competitors) . Then you realize you have less than $2B to work with, which is not enough to make this grand plan work.

It's easy to say "spend more!", but it's not that simple in reality, especially in the consumer electronics market when competing with giant competitors who can spend $2B a week.
    I actually did not say anything financially. Without aggressive marketing you can't gain ground with a new os.

Then, if you spent all your money to BB10 you won't have any money left for marketing the android offering. Simple.
    10-07-16 07:11 PM
    I think marketing and brand image is a huge issue, but it goes even beyond that to corporate culture, and all sorts of other mistakes.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 07:36 PM
91 1234