Hahaha F up BlackBerry department, every single time these make a same mistake over price
    And loose the market
    Never learn from mistake.

Posted via CB10
    What's funny is this has been the trend for BB for the past 5 years, and loyalists still rush to "overpay" just to say they had the device first. In all reality BB/Digital River has botched the last 2 releases and people got their pre-orders a month late...when they could have waited 30-45 more days and saved $100-200. I'm not a rich man so saving $100+ is awesome! That's $100 worth of groceries my family can eat!!

Created by fingering my sexy Blackberry Classic Keyboard..but I think the  Priv wants me to touch her too!
    12-25-15 06:06 PM
    Just got brand new in the box for $700cdn, craigslist.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-15 07:18 PM
    Just got brand new in the box for $700cdn, craigslist.

Posted via CB10
    Well well, time to ✔ craigslist again! Good heads-up.

Created by fingering my sexy Blackberry Classic Keyboard..but I think the  Priv wants me to touch her too!
    12-25-15 10:57 PM
    Really divided between getting a Priv or a Passport.
    If Tmobile announces plans to officially carry it. Then I'm going through their financing department no doubt.
    Otherwise is a passport for me and maybe next year will go full Android with the Priv at last.
    12-26-15 05:28 AM
    Price drop after three months!!???

Now I believe the ones who said that Priv only sold 50.000...

Posted via CB10
    The data from the q3 report makes selling only 50,000 mathematically impossible. If we use an ASP of 500-550 it means closer to 200,000 Privs were sold.
    12-26-15 06:47 AM
    The report I read, he said the "Priv will get a price drop around Feb 22"

And that report uses the quote above to come to that conclusion. All these media outlets are taking the quote I posted and using that to say a price cut on feb 22nd, when MWC starts, will happen.
    12-26-15 06:53 AM
    The data from the q3 report makes selling only 50,000 mathematically impossible. If we use an ASP of 500-550 it means closer to 200,000 Privs were sold.
    Bear in mind the number from the investor briefing is a sell in number.

The numbers being thrown around in the media of 50k+ being sold through are actually some what believable should the actual sell in number be around 150k.
    12-26-15 06:55 AM
    Here is a quote from the article and the link..
    That is just a reporters comments on what was actually said - which was posted by AhmadCentral a couple of posts above yours.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-15 07:14 AM

The numbers being thrown around in the media of 50k+ being sold through are actually some what believable should the actual sell in number be around 150k.
    Seeking alpha
    "BlackBerry counts smartphones sales on a sell-through basis. For this reason, the majority of pre-orders through the ShopBB website would not contribute towards Q3 revenue."

Apparently Blackberry only counts "sell through" numbers as revenues. Also, some on CB are saying that blackberry does not count a device sale until 15 days after activation...so this would mean we only saw about a weeks worth of Priv sales.
    12-26-15 08:03 AM
    Seeking alpha
    "BlackBerry counts smartphones sales on a sell-through basis. For this reason, the majority of pre-orders through the ShopBB website would not contribute towards Q3 revenue."

Apparently Blackberry only counts "sell through" numbers as revenues. Also, some on CB are saying that blackberry does not count a device sale until 15 days after activation...so this would mean we only saw about a weeks worth of Priv sales.
    It's a bit more complicated than that. Also the statement that BlackBerry only recognise revenue on sell through is incorrect.

For example, BlackBerry sold in 700,000 units to retail during Q3 but 900,000 units were sold through to end users. (This number includes sell through from shipments made during Q3 and also prior to Q3.

The sell in number is the one BlackBerry recognise revenue on each quarter, hence why it's better to use the 700k number rather than the 900k number.

Blackberry recognise hardware revenue when a device is sold to a retailer or carrier. More specifically when the following 4 conditions are met:

• When persuasive evidence of an arrangement exists
    • The product has been delivered to a customer
    • The sales price is fixed or determinable
    • Collection is reasonably assured

In this case, the "customer" refers to a retailer or a carrier or other business.

If the above 4 points are not met then Blackberry will only recognise revenue when a device has been sold through to an end user which is based upon internally generated reporting indicating when the devices are activated on the Company’s relay infrastructure.
    Last edited by AhmadCentral; 12-26-15 at 09:35 AM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-26-15 09:06 AM
    With the possibility of a new all touch high end device coming in quarter 2 I may wait for the specs on that.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-15 09:35 AM
    It's a bit more complicated than that. Also the statement that BlackBerry only recognise revenue on sell through is incorrect.

For example, BlackBerry sold in 700,000 units to retail during Q3 but 900,000 units were sold through to end users. (This number includes sell through from shipments made during Q3 and also prior to Q3.

The sell in number is the one BlackBerry recognise revenue on each quarter, hence why it's better to use the 700k number rather than the 900k number.
    Yes, but according to seeking alpha blackberry counts revenues on a "sell through" basis.
    12-26-15 09:39 AM
    Yes, but according to seeking alpha blackberry only counts revenue on a "sell through" basis.
    Seeking Alpha is a great source most of the time. But it can be just as reliable as Wikipedia when it comes to fact checking.

In this case the Seeking Alpha article is wrong. BlackBerry specifically mention that they recognise revenue on sell in numbers. This is outlined in their 'Revenue recognition policy' section. It's been this way since BlackBerry started selling phones.
    12-26-15 09:41 AM
    It's still "peanuts"

12-26-15 09:45 AM
    And that report uses the quote above to come to that conclusion. All these media outlets are taking the quote I posted and using that to say a price cut on feb 22nd, when MWC starts, will happen.
    I posted the link as to where I got the info. It was an interview with Chen..

12-26-15 09:46 AM

150k is still "peanuts" compared to the competition. And not even close to Chen's goal!

12-26-15 09:47 AM
    I posted the link as to where I got the info. It was an interview with Chen..

Which is based on the quote from my post in page 1.

The article is just jumping to the conclusion that a price drop will happen. The actual quote says they may drop the price. The exact word being used, that they 'expect' a price drop to happen due to the launch of new handsets from competitors.

Therefore it is not a confirmed price drop as the OP states, nor is it confirmed it will happen in February, it could be just before or maybe even after when the new batch of phones from competitors actually hit stores. As per Chen's statement it is likely that a price drop could take place, but it is not confirmed yet.
    12-26-15 09:49 AM
    It's still "peanuts"

Sure if "peanuts" is an acronym for Pretty Exciting And Never Underestimate Twitter Stats.
    12-26-15 09:50 AM
    That is just a reporters comments on what was actually said - which was posted by AhmadCentral a couple of posts above yours.

Posted via CB10
    It's still a statement that was made by Chen. Whether it was "requoted" is irrelevant. Bottom line is Chen said there will be a price drop for the Priv so it can try and compete with all the new phones coming out in Feb/March.

12-26-15 09:51 AM
    Which is based on the quote from my post in page 1.

The article is just jumping to the conclusion that a price drop will happen. The actual quote says they may drop the price.

Therefore it is not a confirmed price drop as the OP states, nor is it confirmed it will happen in February, it could be just before or maybe even after when the new batch of phones from competitors actually hit stores. As per Chen's statement it is likely that a price drop could take place, but it is not confirmed yet.
    If your opinion says it is "likely", and BB usually lowers the price of their new releases a month or so after release, then why are you getting so defensive. The Priv will get a prie drop..period. How u feel about it or if you were the "first" to mention the quote is irrelevant.

12-26-15 09:54 AM
    Sure if "peanuts" is an acronym for Pretty Exciting And Never Underestimate Twitter Stats.
    "Peanuts", meaning 50k-150k in a few weeks is nothing compared to the competition that sells 500k in a day!

12-26-15 09:55 AM
    It's still a statement that was made by Chen. Whether it was "requoted" is irrelevant.
    No, it isn't. It was not "requoted". It was paraphrased and interpreted. "Requoting" is what was done by AhmadCentral.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-15 09:56 AM
    "Peanuts", meaning 50k-150k in a few weeks is nothing compared to the competition that sells 500k in a day!

Actually, if it is true that blackberry does not count revenues until 15 days after activation then we could be looking at only a week. I can do the math for you, but basically this would explain the "magnitudes better" comment and the projection that bb might break even in the overall device business by next quarter.

This comment by Chen says a lot more than the math is telling us.

For Q4, I'm expecting sequential revenue growth in device and higher gross margin. Depending on how PRIV does in Q4, there's a chance -- I mean, I'm being warned by a lot of people -- there is a chance, we could achieve or get closer to breakeven operating profitability for our overall device business in the quarter.
    12-26-15 09:59 AM
    If your opinion says it is "likely", and BB usually lowers the price of their new releases a month or so after release, then why are you getting so defensive. The Priv will get a prie drop..period. How u feel about it or if you were the "first" to mention the quote is irrelevant.

Dude.... there is a difference between opinion and fact.

The fact is that Chen said this: “In about Mobile World Congress time, we will see introduction of new technology from our competitors. We have maybe a midlife kicker coming in around that time, but I expect ourselves to have to reduce our price to be competitive.”

That is a direct quote, therefore it is factually correct.

Your OP says that it is 'confirmed' that a price drop will happen. The direct quote says that they 'expect... to have to reduce our price'. The word used, 'expect', means that it is likely to happen. But there is no confirmation of an actual price drop or an actual date. But it is of course very likely, just not confirmed like the OP says.

I'm not being defensive, I'm literally trying to help you with
    1. A source for where the quote came from
    2. What Chen actually said Vs what is written in the OP.
    3. Making sure that people get the correct information.

Actually, if it is true that blackberry does not count revenues until 15 days after activation then we could be looking at only a week. I can do the math for you, but basically this would explain the "magnitudes better" comment and the projection that bb might break even in the overall device business by next quarter.
    Do you have a source for this? I've never heard this before.

BlackBerry mention that they when they use sell through to recognise revenue they count the sale based upon internally generated reporting which indicates when the devices are activated on the Company’s relay infrastructure.

Therefore it should be instantaneous.
    JeepBB and triplem23 like this.
    12-26-15 10:05 AM
    Just pointing out..there is alot of "Chen made a comment" and "Chen gave a response" and "Chen's response". It's obvious that it will be getting a price cut. So all the debate is for what?? Just to read things you type? Mad because the Priv is getting a price cut? It's either, "yay it's getting a price cut now I can get one" or its, "damn I already bought one and now I might feel foolish if the price goes down and I could have saved money"!

"John Chen made a comment that should warm the hearts (and wallets) of potential Priv buyers. In response to a question posed by RBC Capital Markets analyst Paul Treiber about the pricing and margins expected from the Priv during its life cycle, Chen gave a response that clearly indicated that a price cut for the company's Android slider is on the way. In fact, the CEO even gave us a good idea when to expect BlackBerry to take a whack at the device's price tag.

According to Chen's response, we can expect the Priv to be cut in price around the time of the MWC show in Barcelona. The expo will be held from February 22nd to the 25th. Chen noted that some competitors will be introducing new handsets around the show. He did hint that BlackBerry might be unveiling a "mid-life kicker" that will be introduced for the Priv at that time, but still seemed to be resigned to the fact that a price cut would be necessary around MWC."

12-26-15 10:06 AM
120 1234 ...