Looks like RIM's vision of a connected world is shared by other manufacturers. This example is interesting because it is not a smartphone vendor at the forefront, but a "device to be controlled" manufacturer which has simply written an app to effect the control. Uses NFC rather than longer range wireless, but gives an early indication of this future trend that RIM can capitalize on.

Panasonic expands smart home appliance line, adds Android Smart App, cloud services -- Engadget
    JPMorgan_ likes this.
    08-22-12 06:59 AM
    Looks like RIM's vision of a connected world is shared by other manufacturers. This example is interesting because it is not a smartphone vendor at the forefront, but a "device to be controlled" manufacturer which has simply written an app to effect the control. Uses NFC rather than longer range wireless, but gives an early indication of this future trend that RIM can capitalize on.

Panasonic expands smart home appliance line, adds Android Smart App, cloud services -- Engadget
    Not exactly sure how a "connected world" is RIM's vision for others to "share" when in fact, others have been working on it for some time (ie Android, MS Surface, iOS) and already have real world uses in place.
    08-22-12 01:47 PM
    Everything in the world is not just about RIM. There's lots of dirty work out there and someone has to do it!
    08-23-12 08:33 AM
    Pretty sure the "connected world" vision was that of Microsoft back in the 90's
    Bill Gates talked a lot about "smart homes"
    Even when Microsoft was launching Vista Bill Gates was on TV talking about the death of traditional TV, and talking about services like Netflix before netflix was being thought about, targeted advertising within content based on user preferences.
    08-23-12 08:44 AM
    And they have a fascinating concept home of the future in their Redmond Executive Briefing Center.
    08-23-12 08:47 AM
    Pretty sure the "connected world" vision was that of Microsoft back in the 90's
    Bill Gates talked a lot about "smart homes"
    Even when Microsoft was launching Vista Bill Gates was on TV talking about the death of traditional TV, and talking about services like Netflix before netflix was being thought about, targeted advertising within content based on user preferences.
    Then it's no surprise Gates saw the 1987 Apple concept ad, which shows a Siri-like interface.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3WdS4TscWH8[/YT]
    08-23-12 10:47 AM
    And they have a fascinating concept home of the future in their Redmond Executive Briefing Center.
    Pretty much all of the big companies have one - HP used to have this really crappy one on at least one of the campuses, they use to have a 'shop of the future' as well.

Talk of a 'connected world' is a bit out of date, the 'internet of things' is what people tend to talk about now.
    08-23-12 11:01 AM
    Talk of a 'connected world' is a bit out of date, the 'internet of things' is what people tend to talk about now.
    I still prefer connected world

my House has far more items "connected world" but they aren't connected to the internet so to speak I have an Intranet,

though the advertising is very much geared toward the Internet connectivity of things.
    But really everything with internet connectivity they're going to try and find ways to push advertisements to me, I don't want my toilet to be trying to sell me stuff
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-23-12 11:09 AM
    I still prefer connected world

my House has far more items "connected world" but they aren't connected to the internet so to speak I have an Intranet,

though the advertising is very much geared toward the Internet connectivity of things.
    But really everything with internet connectivity they're going to try and find ways to push advertisements to me, I don't want my toilet to be trying to sell me stuff
    Facial recognition ads creep me out. Facial recognition: They know who you are | StarTribune.com
    08-23-12 11:12 AM
    Then it's no surprise Gates saw the 1987 Apple concept ad, which shows a Siri-like interface.

Click to view quoted video
    C'mon deRusett, don't you know all good ideas only come from Apple/Jobs...

25 years later and Siri is STILL in Beta...
    08-23-12 11:36 AM
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPKX5iuBvZg[/YT]

Here's one from HP.
    08-23-12 11:43 AM
    C'mon deRusett, don't you know all good ideas only come from Apple/Jobs...

25 years later and Siri is STILL in Beta...

I forgot, shame on me, Apple invented Electricity
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-23-12 11:46 AM
    And will soon invent that toilet that will try to sell you apple brand toilet paper.

Sorry, I just thought the toilet comment was hilarious.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    08-23-12 12:14 PM
    And will soon invent that toilet that will try to sell you apple brand toilet paper.

Sorry, I just thought the toilet comment was hilarious.

too late
    08-23-12 12:37 PM
    ahahaha that's awesome.

08-23-12 01:15 PM
    This picture just made my day lol. I've shown some co-workers the picture and posts and everyone thinks its just too funny. Thanks .

08-23-12 01:26 PM
    Here is a couple jokes my peers came up with.

"I'm sorry, you are out of toilet paper. Please pay $.99/square".

Do you have to buy an app to flush?

"Dude! Your bathroom stinks". "Oh there's an app for that".

Alright. I'm done.

08-23-12 01:49 PM
    Here's my wallpaper.

08-23-12 07:24 PM
    If it comes with siri, I want one
    08-23-12 07:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD