If an user loses his device and the password is entered wrong 10 times the device wipes itself and the password will be erased too so the phone could be used like new.

Is there any way to prevent security wipe from deleting the device password?*
    Is there any way to disable security wipe? (Maybe finding and deleting the .cod file)

2 days ago my friend brought his 9700 for me to upgrade OS.
    I used security wipe, then tried using BBSAK to wipe the OS and it asked for password.
    Then I used AppLoder to install the new OS and it asked for password again.

Why didn't security wipe delete the device password this time?
    07-17-11 08:40 PM
    why did you not just disable the password?
    you do not need to wipe the device to load the OS.
    07-17-11 08:52 PM
    why did you not just disable the password?
    you do not need to wipe the device to load the OS.
    I like to nuke the device before updating, call me a nerd.
    The problem is not disabling the password, please read my post again.
    07-17-11 08:59 PM
    i would like to know this also, what's the point of the password if it can still be accessed? fine it does a security wipe but i don't think the people that find/steal your phone would want your stuff on there anyway.
    07-17-11 09:08 PM
    i would like to know this also, what's the point of the password if it can still be accessed? fine it does a security wipe but i don't think the people that find/steal your phone would want your stuff on there anyway.
    Exactly. All the thief wants is a new cellphone to sell and security wipe gives him exactly that.

That's why I want to disable the feature or even rip it off the OS completely.

Heck, even removing the "Max Attempts" and just let the user have infinite attempts to enter the password would do trick.
    Last edited by KrlzGmz; 07-17-11 at 09:34 PM. Reason: dumb grammar
    07-17-11 09:27 PM
    Without the security wipe, the thief might just get lucky and guess your password. Then he'd have your phone and your data. Security conscious people aren't sweating phones and petty thieves; it's all about protecting the data.

I'm also thinking this: without the password limit, someone might be able to hook the device up to desktop manger and have a script enter passwords all day long. IDK, just a thought ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by T�nis; 07-17-11 at 09:45 PM.
    07-17-11 09:37 PM
    Without the security wipe, the thief might just get lucky and guess your password. Then he'd have your phone and your data. Security conscious people aren't sweating phones and petty thieves; it's all about protecting the data.
    Don't worry, I don't have my cellphone number nor my name spelled backwards as password.

I'm just asking for an option to disable security wipe when the password is entered wrong.

And for me is just not protecting data, I protect my data using encryption and setting a device password, what I want is my cellphone to turn into an excellent paperweight if I ever lose it.

I'm also thinking this: without the password limit, someone might be able to hook the device up to desktop manger and ha ve a script enter passwords all day long. IDK, just a thought ...
    Maybe taking away the password limit is not a good idea, then just locking the phone down beyond unlocking. Anything but security wipe.
    Last edited by KrlzGmz; 07-17-11 at 09:46 PM. Reason: updating
    07-17-11 09:43 PM
    So you're calling for a self-destruct feature after a p/w limit has been reached!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-11 09:52 PM
    So you're calling for a self-destruct feature after a p/w limit has been reached!
    That's not the point of the thread, I understand your 1st post but now you are derailing completely.

Do you have any ideas how to remove/disable security wipe?
    Either software-wise or removing an specific .cod from the OS install path.

If you don't know, please refrain from posting things like "Personal data comes first" "It doesn't matter cause the thief won't have access to your files" because I simply don't care. What I want is making sure my effort and money (read: my cellphone) is not being enjoyed by a thief/random stranger.
    07-17-11 09:57 PM
    I said the part about the self-destruct half-jokingly, but isn't that what you want? Something to render the phone useless?

I would think there would be some way to do something like that. Take a look at this topic:

http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...-tries-230095/

I was also thinking that if this was possible, there might be a way to increase or even eliminate the maximum (one hour) security timeout.
    07-17-11 10:06 PM
    I said the part about the self-destruct half-jokingly, but isn't that what you want? Something to render the phone useless?

I would think there would be some way to do something like that. Take a look at this topic:

-snip because I need more than 10 posts to post links.-

I was also thinking that if this was possible, there might be a way to increase or even eliminate the maximum (one hour) security timeout.
    Now that is ony excellent thread!
    Device password already renders the phone useless, security wipe is the only problem.
    Raising the Max attempts (although it seems hex only allows 255) should be enough to confuse most people.

I'll be testing and reporting back with results.
    07-17-11 10:22 PM
    Seems that method is dead for newest OS's.
    I will still try but not today, I don't have time to restore my phone if it wipes out.

Seems I'm back to square one and noone knows how to disable the goddamned security wipe.
    I've been searching for hours on how to disable it or remove it from .cod's without luck.

I'll post what a fellow forumer posted on RIM's support forum.

How can I set my password to unlimited retries?

I do not want people I do not know, to walk away and 'wipe' and effectively now 'own' my phone just by typing my password wrong 10 times.

I do use third-party GPS tracking software - because well... you neglected to add such a basic feature. It's useless because wiping my phone wipes the software anyways.

I do not want the password disabled - because then they can wipe the phone from the menu.

How do I, as an end user, protect my 700 dollar investment when you do not provide me with the tools to do so?

In addition - I did try my best. I even posted a fix for other users on this forum for 4.5 - how to change the configuration files from a backup to force it to 255 tries. Which you promptly patched in the next release. I tried to contact you (direct and through my provider), and even offered 10,000$ cash to your product developers to add the one toggle feature. Only to receive nasty responses from you in return.

As a new hobby - I have started intentionally getting everyones passwords wrong that I run into. Maybe after a few hundred people complain in my city about the feature the lazy dev team might decide to finally add a single option.
    07-18-11 03:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD