I've been lurking (without an account) since summer 2016 and you're right, but that's the nature of life. This is a great community for what is though and the tips and troubleshooting support here is a goldmine of information people are going to be looking at for years. I don't really know of another phone manufacturer that has this kind of community currently.
    bakron1 and j21jam6 like this.
    05-29-20 08:04 PM
    I certainly agree about the troubleshooting support. My primary phone is a fairly current LG, but I love to tinker with my 9360's. I continue to be amazed at how, with a lot of help from CB posts, my OS 7 devices keep on being excellent backup phones, just sipping data from a Freedompop 200MB, zero dollar a month account. Just being able to use these devices requires significant effort and research, not otherwise possible without CB.
    gebco and j21jam6 like this.
    05-30-20 11:24 PM
    I have a feeling its going to heat up soon. Blackberry...all devices are awesome. Curve, Storm....yea I could use that...pearl, used that too. Bold, Passport, Z10, Leap and Classics.... and I still got most of them....if you want them to replace yours. On the other hand, these auto updates, from Windows, Droids are sketchy and I don't trust what you can't choose. Lately it seems things are being updated. settings altered ie: turned on (mic, bluetooth, lbs, and MORE) Privacy, your choice, transparency and especially your data is important and valuable. I like that we at least for now can customize our BB's....Anyone test that BB World 10 upgrade to confirm its not a Trojan...? Take care, Be safe, Be curious always.
    Welcome to CrackBerry !!!! Post early and post often....
    05-31-20 07:12 AM
    Things might heat up if the RUMOR that FairFax is looking to buy out the remaining shares of BlackBerry.... turn out to be true.

Always a "chance" that someone would buy the hardware IP and maybe even the name. As I expect Prem's only purpose in taking them private would be to liquidate the assets in an organized fashion, rather than a fire sale... A year or so from now TCL might be pushing out a KEY3.

I'm sure some here will see a path for a BB10 comeback in it as well. But I suspect QNX and Smartphone IP won't end up in the same hands.
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    06-01-20 02:24 PM
    What are the chances we'll see a key 3
    06-03-20 02:38 AM
    Infinitesmally low.
    06-03-20 06:22 AM
    Infinitesmally low.
    But infinitesmally greater than Key4 comparatively speaking.
    06-03-20 06:26 AM
    Infinitesmally low.
    Get a pair and say "zero" !
    06-03-20 04:12 PM
    Get a pair and say "zero" !
    Never say never lol
    Attached Thumbnails Pretty quiet in here these days...-78472.jpg  
    06-03-20 05:47 PM
    I still take a look around every few weeks to see what's up. Still using my Classic. Was really hoping TCL would make a keyboard device of a reasonable size to replace it, but they dropped the ball on that.
    06-04-20 11:29 AM
    I still take a look around every few weeks to see what's up. Still using my Classic. Was really hoping TCL would make a keyboard device of a reasonable size to replace it, but they dropped the ball on that.
    I wouldn't describe it as dropping the ball. I would describe it as having had their butts kicked on the first two, and then throwing in the towel.
    John Albert likes this.
    06-04-20 11:32 AM
    I wouldn't describe it as dropping the ball. I would describe it as having had their butts kicked on the first two, and then throwing in the towel.
    TCL could have made a small, medium and large PKB, along with a Slider and a few Slabs. And did each with a low and high price point to make everyone happy. So in all a dozen models... and in the end sold about the same number of phones.

I do think the KEY's were the best size and format for Android at that time. But the PKB and BlackBerry userbase was just too use to having more options..... at heavily discounted prices.
    06-04-20 02:34 PM
    TCL could have made a small, medium and large PKB, along with a Slider and a few Slabs. And did each with a low and high price point to make everyone happy. So in all a dozen models... and in the end sold about the same number of phones.

I do think the KEY's were the best size and format for Android at that time. But the PKB and BlackBerry userbase was just too use to having more options..... at heavily discounted prices.
    I also find it funny that many are touting how Unihertz (Titan) is doing all the things right that BlackBerry Mobile did wrong. Yet even in their wildest dreams they will never sell near 10,000 worksite bricks.
    Velocitymj likes this.
    06-04-20 02:52 PM
    I also find it funny that many are touting how Unihertz (Titan) is doing all the things right that BlackBerry Mobile did wrong. Yet even in their wildest dreams they will never sell near 10,000 worksite bricks.
    Well they did push out an update, we will see how long that goes on.... and if Android 10 comes in October as promised.

If they opt to do a "classic" or their own version of a "key"... I wonder if they dropped the ruggedized shell, if maybe they could reach 10,000.

What else is BlackBerry PKB fans going to buy? As I doubt stock of the KEY2's is going to last much longer.
    j21jam6 likes this.
    06-04-20 03:14 PM
    This thread appears like a farewell thread.
    John Albert and phuoc like this.
    06-04-20 05:27 PM
    Well they did push out an update, we will see how long that goes on.... and if Android 10 comes in October as promised.

If they opt to do a "classic" or their own version of a "key"... I wonder if they dropped the ruggedized shell, if maybe they could reach 10,000.

What else is BlackBerry PKB fans going to buy? As I doubt stock of the KEY2's is going to last much longer.
    There’s probably always going to be the Optiemus versions...... LOL
    06-04-20 06:55 PM
    The day BlackBerry abandoned their OS 10 was the beginning of the end.
    06-10-20 09:11 AM
    The day BlackBerry abandoned their OS 10 was the beginning of the end.
    The day carriers were balking at SAF fees, and increased bandwidth making BIS redundant, was the beginning of the end.
    Last edited by conite; 06-10-20 at 01:27 PM.
    06-10-20 09:14 AM
    The day Mike & Jim stuck Verizon with the Storm fiasco was the beginning of the end. Imo. Stranding an entire legacy userbase with next to zero migration path by sequestering BB10 teams from legacy experience drove the final nail. Everything else since, including BB10 itself, has been futile kicking & screaming from inside a buried coffin. Imo. Fwiw.

As OP inferred, pretty "quiet" as we whistle by... Lol.
    Laura Knotek and j21jam6 like this.
    06-10-20 12:18 PM
    The day Mike & Jim stuck Verizon with the Storm fiasco was the beginning of the end. Imo. Stranding an entire legacy userbase with next to zero migration path by sequestering BB10 teams from legacy experience drove the final nail. Everything else since, including BB10 itself, has been futile kicking & screaming from inside a buried coffin. Imo. Fwiw.

As OP inferred, pretty "quiet" as we whistle by... Lol.
    Respectfully, it didn't help but it wouldn't have mattered. I've studied your idea about focusing on corporate system and network for those users. It's basically what Craig McCaw did on his second go-around with the former Nextel after selling his first company McCaw Communications to AT&T to become obscenely rich. Sprint and Nextel merged in 2000s but iDen wasn't as popular as expected with consumer element and it's lack of early consumer focus led to vast losses before eventually merging into T-Mobile recently. Very parallel story to BlackBerry actually.
    Laura Knotek and j21jam6 like this.
    06-10-20 01:17 PM
    Anytime you have a solution to a problem, and that problem is solved in a different way that is more beneficial to a far larger number of people, that original solution is going to rapidly become obsolete. iDen PTT was a solution to expensive pay-by-the-minute talk plans as well as the limited signal range problem with traditional walkie-talkie-type radios, but iDen was doomed by unlimited talk plans and the rise of text messaging, which both provided superior solutions to the problem for most people.

Similarly, BB's solution to early 2G digital data networks with very limited bandwidth and very little network security was BIS and BES. BIS was no more secure (BES was encrypted), but it was faster on 2G networks due to compression, though things like photo quality could suffer. RIM/BB Ltd built their business not by selling phones, which they largely broke even on, but by selling recurring monthly service fees for BIS and BES. The problem is that faster 3G and then 4G data networks made BIS, and to a lesser degree BES, obsolete (improved security at all levels finished the job of obsoleting BES).

BBOS phones (along with their backend infrastructure) were MONSTERS in their day, being incredibly powerful and optimized for mobile email management and messaging, but when massive amounts of communications moved off of email and BBM/SMS, and onto social media platforms, which also incorporated photos and video, BBOS and BB10 really had no advantage for the average person (even if certain corporate email warriors still loved them), and lots of disadvantages, and that was all she wrote.

The market is full of thousands of examples of products that were on top of the market for a time, but simply weren't nimble enough, weren't well funded enough, or just couldn't see the new tech coming down the pipeline and got steamrolled into oblivion. There's always something coming to obsolete your job. Battery technology improvements will likely end the internal combustion engine within 20 years. CNC machining obsoleted huge numbers of machinists. The PC replaced buildings full of accountants and (human) calculators. Kiosks, self-checkout, and Amazon have replaced tons of retail and cashier jobs. If you're a company, you had better be looking ahead and reading the trends, or you'll get passed right by at amazing speed by someone else who did, and you have to be willing to poach your own customer base with new products or some other company will do it for you.

Mike wasn't a guy who wanted to move on to the next thing. He was (justifiably) proud of his BBOS/BIS/BES solutions, but wasn't willing (I'd like to believe he was able, at least at one point) to throw that all away and accept that faster networks were coming and he needed new solutions. Instead, he tried to convince carriers to stick with 2G, and then with 3G, even as their carrier competition moved forward with new tech. That's not the attitude that keeps you alive in the tech world - that's the attitude that gets you hastily buried in a shallow grave as the rest of the world moves forward.
    06-10-20 10:52 PM
    After a very long, exclusive relationship with BlackBerry, I moved on about a year ago after leaving my trusty KeyOne on the light rail. Landed on Samsung with the Note 9. BlackBerry going Android, along with the BlackBerry VKB and (Hub + Suite of Apps in the beginning) made the transition less jarring.
    06-11-20 04:55 PM
    Well, the age old argument that what pleases "most" must please ALL is still dominant around here. What else is there to discuss? Lol.

Tiller throttle once dominated four wheeled transport. As on Ford's T. It got universally displaced by foot operated accelerator during the 20s. 99.9% of modern consumer oriented four wheeled conveyances on the planet utilize foot operated accelerator. "The market" has spoken. Lol.

Yet, the thought of keeping a foot operated throttle optimally positioned all day while brush-hogging on my suspension-less Massey Ferguson 150 "four wheeled conveyance" is NOT appealing. No more appealing than pondering attaching that brush hog to my Porsche... Lol. Different tools for different tasks. Porsche's basic form factor outsells Massey Ferguson's form factor 99.9 to one. Yet, even tho MF itself is long gone, that "tractor" form factor MF once flourished in still enjoys a survivable niche. Including something reminiscent of "tiller throttle"... Lol.

I've driven my Case 580SK from home to work twice. (Long story lol). It enjoys both foot accelerator AND a console (tiller like) throttle. Commuting is not part of its use case, tho. It will never challenge Toyota's Corolla sales numbers. It will never out run my Porsche up hwy 1. Lol. That doesn't make it nor my MF useless. No one at "implement oriented" forums would even suggest that. "Enthusiasts" at those forums eagerly embrace their niche status. Lol.

The use case this very 9900 has been exquisitely optimized for is certainly NOT what 99.9% of consumers consider to be worth paying money for. 99.9% of consumers will never successfully conceive and nurture a 24/7 business to profitably sustainable maturity. That doesn't make 9900 as utterly useless as might be represented by some of CB community. Some few who do truly appreciate RIM's "ultimate achievement" mostly just quietly "whistle past the cemetery" these days... lol. Crickets? Thumb nail on this Bold pkb might sorta sound like crickets sometimes. Lol.
    06-12-20 05:51 AM
    Well, the age old argument that what pleases "most" must please ALL is still dominant around here. What else is there to discuss? Lol.

Tiller throttle once dominated four wheeled transport. As on Ford's T. It got universally displaced by foot operated accelerator during the 20s. 99.9% of modern consumer oriented four wheeled conveyances on the planet utilize foot operated accelerator. "The market" has spoken. Lol.

Yet, the thought of keeping a foot operated throttle optimally positioned all day while brush-hogging on my suspension-less Massey Ferguson 150 "four wheeled conveyance" is NOT appealing. No more appealing than pondering attaching that brush hog to my Porsche... Lol. Different tools for different tasks. Porsche's basic form factor outsells Massey Ferguson's form factor 99.9 to one. Yet, even tho MF itself is long gone, that "tractor" form factor MF once flourished in still enjoys a survivable niche. Including something reminiscent of "tiller throttle"... Lol.

I've driven my Case 580SK from home to work twice. (Long story lol). It enjoys both foot accelerator AND a console (tiller like) throttle. Commuting is not part of its use case, tho. It will never challenge Toyota's Corolla sales numbers. It will never out run my Porsche up hwy 1. Lol. That doesn't make it nor my MF useless. No one at "implement oriented" forums would even suggest that. "Enthusiasts" at those forums eagerly embrace their niche status. Lol.

The use case this very 9900 has been exquisitely optimized for is certainly NOT what 99.9% of consumers consider to be worth paying money for. 99.9% of consumers will never successfully conceive and nurture a 24/7 business to profitably sustainable maturity. That doesn't make 9900 as utterly useless as might be represented by some of CB community. Some few who do truly appreciate RIM's "ultimate achievement" mostly just quietly "whistle past the cemetery" these days... lol. Crickets? Thumb nail on this Bold pkb might sorta sound like crickets sometimes. Lol.
    The problem is too many PKB supporters want a Porsche, Ford, MF, Case and such all rolled into one.

You have the Unihertz Titan now so you haven’t been abandoned
    Grungni likes this.
    06-12-20 07:00 AM
    The problem is too many PKB supporters want a Porsche, Ford, MF, Case and such all rolled into one.

You have the Unihertz Titan now so you haven’t been abandoned
    Well, that's exactly the problem. Rolling Kenworth into the mix might seem perfectly natural to slab phreek thinking but what self respecting slab phreek tolerates even a single physical button? Lol. What self respecting PKB phreek tolerates demonstrably slower typing?

I already own and use an oversized PKB device that demands both hands to operate and doesn't fit pockets. It's called a Panasonic Toughbook laptop. Lol. Thanks to its carrying handle, I find it EASIER to keep with me than my K giants. Single finger easy to hold while pressing elevator buttons, opening doors, etc, etc. It even sports hot swappable battery AND it types fastest of ALL. Lol.

Contrary to dominant narrative, PKB is not an end in itself. It's a means to an end. Understanding that end seems to be the challenge. What good is PKB if sized and configured so poorly that even experienced pkb users like myself type slower than on vkb slab? As with K1 compared with D60 in my hand??

RIM's ultimate achievement has NEVER been re-visited. Each step further away from RIM's ultimate achievement has resulted in less, and less, success. Each step further away from RIM's ultimate achievement has resulted in slower and slower and less precise typing, in my hand. The two trends DO correlate. Fwiw.

Crippled Q proved, as some of us predicted, utter failure. Did "huge Q" called K enjoy any better success? Is Titan ANY easier to single hand? Does it sport toolbelt??

If Unihertz somehow replicated Bold's single handed, communicate while living life, thought to thumb proficiency, I might not feel abandoned. But replicating already failed experiments is poor path to that end. Imo.
    06-12-20 10:28 AM
86 1234