Speculation is all that it is. Something is going on for sure but the exact details won't be known until they move on their decision. If I were to guess I would say that a content provider will emerge to satisfy the consumer end of things and get some excitement and anticipation up to the launch of bb10. This makes the most sense imo and buys both companies a ticket to the show
    06-24-12 03:56 PM
    Perhaps you should send your list of people to JD Power. They seem to be asking the wrong people.

2012 U.S. WIRELESS SMARTPHONE AND TRADITIONAL MOBILE PHONE SATISFACTION STUDIES - VOLUME 1
    I agree, but a lot depends on what questions were asked and how, in the survey. For example, it's one thing to ask if the customer is happy in general with a product, but another when questions regarding specific aspects of the product are queried.
    06-24-12 03:58 PM
    a year ago i predicted that RIM would be in the tank under $10/share before a qnx handheld device came out, and that even if the device was coming out "soon" that investors may still drop RIM and cause a sell off / takeover. i believe i got temporarily banned for trolling. looks like that day has come. last fall i was thinking bb10 looked and sounded good enough to maybe respark the industry/market for RIM. i no longer think that, after RIM announces it's worst quarter ever they will be sitting ducks for a buyout. to me i see this as an inevitability. which sort of sucks, i still miss the form factor and a few elements of the bbos, i have no dog in the fight and i'm not loyal to any tech company, i do think RIM offered a genuinely unique experience but didn't have the means to keep up with the times. if bb10 actually launches under a still-in-tact RIM i don't think it will be long before someone buys most if not all of what's left of the company. splitting up prior to this would probably be the best financial move RIM could make. if anyone thinks bb10 launching is suddenly going to make blackberry a hot item again, they're just fooling themselves. there would no doubt be an initial surge of people who have been waiting for years for a new device, but after that's gone, it's not as if people are going to leave iOS or android to get a bb10 phone. a split makes sense to me. remember, the people sitting on the board aren't really concerned whether or not you ever get a bb10 handset, they're concerned about tens of millions of dollars they stand to lose or gain by continuing a downward spiral or a selloff. if they do split i don't think it would necessarily be any move to attempt to keep the company afloat, but more an attempt at a maximum sales gain. surely nobody thinks RIM can survive as just a service provider, considering as of yet their service is proprietary and android/microsoft/apple have announced 0 support for any external RIM services offerings, and i don't see anyone on any of those platforms pining for BIS/BES on their current hardware. as all things, time will tell, but it's getting close to the time to be able to say that the days of physical BB handsets is likely drawing to a close.
    Last edited by katiepea; 06-24-12 at 04:08 PM.
    rc28a and Blacklatino like this.
    06-24-12 04:01 PM
    Because BB10 isn't out yet and no release date has been set. It would be a waste to advertise this early.
    But Apple or Android don't seem to have that problem. If Apple passes gas, there is a newsperson with a microphone getting all the details and building up the hype about the product. The same with Android. When that was in the process of coming out, TV ads built up the product and interest before it was released. And RIM? I just read a post in GigOM that said BB will be closing. So much for not advertising early.
    06-24-12 04:02 PM
    Perhaps you should send your list of people to JD Power. They seem to be asking the wrong people.

2012 U.S. WIRELESS SMARTPHONE AND TRADITIONAL MOBILE PHONE SATISFACTION STUDIES - VOLUME 1
    Oh, I agree with you, but much depends on how the question was asked. If they asked in general, do you like the product, you would get a different answer than questions focusing on specific aspects of the product.
    06-24-12 04:04 PM
    But Apple or Android don't seem to have that problem. If Apple passes gas, there is a newsperson with a microphone getting all the details and building up the hype about the product. The same with Android. When that was in the process of coming out, TV ads built up the product and interest before it was released. And RIM? I just read a post in GigOM that said BB will be closing. So much for not advertising early.
    outside of this community, the majority of the population only sees stories about RIM dying for the last 2 years. I have friends, even friends who are well into tech related news, that thought RIM was already out of business years ago. there is 0 buzz outside of current BB owners regarding bb10
    rc28a and Blacklatino like this.
    06-24-12 04:13 PM
    RIM draws 65% of its revenue from hardware sales. It would not make sense to forfeit this revenue by selling off its hardware business.

Licensing makes some sense but only in conjunction with RIM's own phone sales.
    Well, sure, but not if the stockholders and board feel they can make more money...secure money...by selling off the division and closing a low performer and make money licensing BB10 or any other software to someone else. 65% sounds like a lot and it is. But if another division(s) is(are) making more and and the low performer is lowering the stock, and the stock will improve if they rename the dumped company, they'll do it. GigaOM just posted a story on this as well. Looks like we better start thinking of an Android phone, which sucks, but that's the reality.
    rc28a likes this.
    06-24-12 04:22 PM
    Really is that what you truly believe. Then please explain to me why RIM (which i strongly support by they way as i love their products) went from number one being light years ahead of every one. To being boarder line dead in just 5 short years.

What planning do you speak of. Oh i get it, sitting on their laurels and laughing at the compition making toys apparently and not phones. Guess what those toys are kings now and i am strongly fearful that RIM will cease to exist into the fall of 2013 if they do nothing but staying the current course and focusing on making BB10 great on their own.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    I couldn't agree more. BB did this to themselves. And of course, us as well.
    06-24-12 04:24 PM
    Pretty obvious that people don't want that or RIM would still be on top don't ya think? I want a phone first but seems a lot don't.

RIM is not advertising because right now there is nothing to advertise but vapor ware or the old phones which consumers don't seem to want. They need to advertise when they have something people can see feel and use. Not too much before that. How well did the playbook advertising work? First professional grade tablet blah blah. That worked real well when it wasn't huh.
    I couldn't agree more. GigaOM just posted a story today on this as well. It's sad, but I hate to say it, but RIM is done, and did this to themselves...and us. You know, I hear how Android/IPhones are susceptible to virus's and malware and I've never had that problem with a BB. I wish BB would scream about that one, but no.
    Dead silence from them. They have a good phone, but no one but us knows it. I guess we'll have to get used to "bells and whistles," viruses and malware on our new Androids.
    rc28a likes this.
    06-24-12 04:29 PM
    a year ago i predicted that RIM would be in the tank under $10/share before a qnx handheld device came out, and that even if the device was coming out "soon" that investors may still drop RIM and cause a sell off / takeover. i believe i got temporarily banned for trolling. looks like that day has come. last fall i was thinking bb10 looked and sounded good enough to maybe respark the industry/market for RIM. i no longer think that, after RIM announces it's worst quarter ever they will be sitting ducks for a buyout. to me i see this as an inevitability. which sort of sucks, i still miss the form factor and a few elements of the bbos, i have no dog in the fight and i'm not loyal to any tech company, i do think RIM offered a genuinely unique experience but didn't have the means to keep up with the times. if bb10 actually launches under a still-in-tact RIM i don't think it will be long before someone buys most if not all of what's left of the company. splitting up prior to this would probably be the best financial move RIM could make. if anyone thinks bb10 launching is suddenly going to make blackberry a hot item again, they're just fooling themselves. there would no doubt be an initial surge of people who have been waiting for years for a new device, but after that's gone, it's not as if people are going to leave iOS or android to get a bb10 phone. a split makes sense to me. remember, the people sitting on the board aren't really concerned whether or not you ever get a bb10 handset, they're concerned about tens of millions of dollars they stand to lose or gain by continuing a downward spiral or a selloff. if they do split i don't think it would necessarily be any move to attempt to keep the company afloat, but more an attempt at a maximum sales gain. surely nobody thinks RIM can survive as just a service provider, considering as of yet their service is proprietary and android/microsoft/apple have announced 0 support for any external RIM services offerings, and i don't see anyone on any of those platforms pining for BIS/BES on their current hardware. as all things, time will tell, but it's getting close to the time to be able to say that the days of physical BB handsets is likely drawing to a close.

I totally agree. It sure looks that way to me. I'd sure like to have the phone continue and BB succeed, but I don't think that'll happen. The decision's been made. We all better start looking at Androids.
    rc28a likes this.
    06-24-12 04:36 PM
    Some news out there that Samsung might be looking for another OS, ever since Google got in bed with Moto. Soooo maybe RIM...?

By the way, if RIM does decide to use its patents to sue the living heck out of companies, that would be, well, sad as . There might be hope, though, a judge did dismiss the Moto-Apple lawsuit, stating that software patents are basically junk.
    06-24-12 04:37 PM
    outside of this community, the majority of the population only sees stories about RIM dying for the last 2 years. I have friends, even friends who are well into tech related news, that thought RIM was already out of business years ago. there is 0 buzz outside of current BB owners regarding bb10
    That's right. The only discussion I see for BB is here. I too have spoken with people outside the "BB Community" who also thought BB was already out of business. Some have posted that RIM wouldn't have the latest convention introducing the BB10 if they were ot going to stay with BB. Well, actually they would if they wanted to hype up the OS in order to make it attractive to someone else to buy it.
    rc28a likes this.
    06-24-12 04:39 PM
    I couldn't agree more. GigaOM just posted a story today on this as well. It's sad, but I hate to say it, but RIM is done, and did this to themselves...and us. You know, I hear how Android/IPhones are susceptible to virus's and malware and I've never had that problem with a BB. I wish BB would scream about that one, but no.
    Dead silence from them. They have a good phone, but no one but us knows it. I guess we'll have to get used to "bells and whistles," viruses and malware on our new Androids.
    I have hope yet I won't be forced to. If/when that time comes I'll be looking at win8 which will also need antivirus I assume.
    06-24-12 04:40 PM
    Some news out there that Samsung might be looking for another OS, ever since Google got in bed with Moto. Soooo maybe RIM...?

By the way, if RIM does decide to use its patents to sue the living heck out of companies, that would be, well, sad as . There might be hope, though, a judge did dismiss the Moto-Apple lawsuit, stating that software patents are basically junk.
    android has made samsung the #1 mobile phone manufacturer on the planet, they have publicly stated they have no plans to abandon the platform, and that their relationship with google hasn't changed at all, google bought motorola for patents, not special treatment.
    rc28a likes this.
    06-24-12 04:42 PM

I'm doubtful as Samsung + Android is the most popular alternative to Apple, why would they toss all that out and start from scratch. The draw to smartphones are the apps and sadly blackberry has very little (is hulu even available with out browser hacks?)

I was a long time user of blackberrys and every time I tried android or apple I ran back as I missed the keyboard but I kept on trying as I loved having all the apps, media and content on my phone. Now that SWYPE has become popular and android has become very stable (I don't understand all the malware nonsense as I have never gotten a virus and as long as you use the market to get your apps there will be no problems) blackberry devices don't excite me anymore. My work (Blue cross blue shield) is doing a pilot of bring your own devices (currently iphones) and so far the execs love it as they can vpn into work without a laptop as well as access rich content and the IT department have done a total freeze on buying anymore blackberries. I hope android gets added to the list of BYOD's as I hate carrying my work blackberry and my personal phone all the time. Sometimes I forward my emails from my blackberry to my android/gmail address and its so much easier on the eyes to read than the tiny blackberry window as well as being able to open attachments like PDFs and PPTs without bogging the phone down.

Back to the original poster if the BB10 devices are coming out this year they need to be in carriers hands by mid august latest and there are enough blogs that leak OEM parts and accessories info and so far we haven't heard or seen anything. Even iphones get leaked early as parts show up online... so far nothing for blackberry 10 devices. I'm afraid to say it but I think the deadline will be slipping and only "fanboys with blinders on" will think all continues to be well.
    Last edited by rc28a; 06-24-12 at 04:56 PM.
    06-24-12 04:51 PM
    So much speculation... re-fueled by posting said speculation on the Crackberry Blog and then again in the forum.

Must be a slow news and post day.
    Personally I think with any split between hardware and software at RIM comes complete loss of control and and more than likely the disappearance of the BlackBerry as we know it (or expect it to be). Not for nothing did Apple advocate and ensure it controlled and tightly integrated hardware and software - counter to what was the trend. As everyone can see, it more than worked.
    06-24-12 04:54 PM
    With Microsoft entering hardware I hardly believe that rim would consider exiting at this point. With compliant phone and tablet rim finds themselves further ahead than Microsoft.
    06-24-12 05:12 PM
    If RIM splits, it is over. So this is what they spent millions for JP Morgan and RBC Capital to come up with??? This is the best they can come up with?

Didnt Thorsten say that they were a vertical solution and would only stand out from the others if they stayed vertical?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by crackfinder; 06-24-12 at 05:32 PM.
    06-24-12 05:27 PM
    Gotta give credit where credit is due. That prediction from one year ago was on the money.
    06-24-12 05:34 PM
    Gotta give credit where credit is due. That prediction from one year ago was on the money.
    That's right. Guess I'll have to start looking at Androids. And the trorch 9860 looked really cool. Oh well.
    06-24-12 05:55 PM
    A RIM Spokesperson said:

RIM has hired advisers to help the Company examine ways to leverage the BlackBerry platform through partnerships, licensing opportunities and strategic business model alternatives. As Thorsten said on the Companys fourth-quarter earnings call, We believe the best way to drive value for our stakeholders is to execute on our plan to turn the company around. This remains true.

Note the sequence of options. Business model alternatives is last.
    Last edited by abwan11; 06-24-12 at 06:23 PM.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    06-24-12 06:12 PM
    If RIM splits, it is over. So this is what they spent millions for JP Morgan and RBC Capital to come up with??? This is the best they can come up with?
    Do you have a better option? It's not like RIM has a lot of choices available to them.
    The odds were pretty damn slim of them surviving even if BB10 made an Sept/Oct. release.

I'm beginning to think RIM is having problems with BB10 and without it being available in 2012, they know they're done.
    06-24-12 06:31 PM
    Do

I'm beginning to think RIM is having problems with BB10 and without it being available in 2012, they know they're done.

I am starting to think the same. Leading them to rush an incomplete product like the playbook one last desperate buzzer beater. Something they cannot afford to do. I am really entertaining the idea to migrate to android till the storm blows over and come back to RIM if they end up surviving it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    06-24-12 06:39 PM
    Do you have a better option? It's not like RIM has a lot of choices available to them.
    The odds were pretty damn slim of them surviving even if BB10 made an Sept/Oct. release.

I didn't think of that. I think you're right. It's too bad. I checked out my provider's website (AT&T) just to look up Android phones and the closest thing is the Samsung Galaxy III...in pearl blue! Try taking that out at the gym! I mean, come on! This is what RIM is directing us toward? BB is Old School. Classy. It FEELS like a good phone and solid product. Samsung feels like a toy. Jezz. I wish RIM would get some "stones." But, RIM does not care about its customers like you, me, and many of us. Good luck out there!
    06-24-12 06:40 PM
    So from a few post in a forum with no links or other credible source we go to its true.
    06-24-12 06:44 PM
101 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD