So from a few post in a forum with no links or other credible source we go to its true.
    With all due respects to another CB head...you got a better idea? BB is classy. Old School. I hate to see it go too. It's a great phone, the BB people here on CB and the other forums are well-meaning as are you. But RIM is a corporation. They look at money alone. Not loyalty. Not classy. They could care less. BB is just another account to them. You take care out there, KBZ. You seem ok.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    06-24-12 06:53 PM
    With all due respects to another CB head...you got a better idea? BB is classy. Old School. I hate to see it go too. It's a great phone, the BB people here on CB and the other forums are well-meaning as are you. But RIM is a corporation. They look at money alone. Not loyalty. Not classy. They could care less. BB is just another account to them. You take care out there, KBZ. You seem ok.
    Well thanks and you too. I'll be fine. If it happens it happens and when my devices no longer work I'll just move on then.
    06-24-12 06:56 PM
    Well thanks and you too. I'll be fine. If it happens it happens and when my devices no longer work I'll just move on then.
    As will we all. But I'll tell you, man. Pearl blue? GOD!
    06-24-12 07:03 PM
    I think that you might be right but I do not think that RIM or its advisors will do anything to the structure of RIM until at least a quarter, maybe two quarters after BB10 is released.

I say this because RIM is clearly organised the way its board prefers (or they would have moved earlier) and they will wish to see how BB10 perfoms prior to making any structural moves.

As I said earlier, many ideas must have been kicked around across the boardroom table.

One thing that I would never accuse RIM's management of is not planning what happens next. Sometimes they seem to plan strangely but, they always plan.
    Pete, my only argument against this is that I think for the Board to get the best price it can for it's assets then it can't wait for another disastrous quarter. And there will be at least one more before BB10 ever hits the surface (pun intended!).
    06-24-12 07:04 PM
    I'll take mine in classic black.
    06-24-12 07:09 PM
    I just hedged my bets with a SGIII the other day. You should take a closer look at it. It will surprise you. It may be the best phone/phablet/mini computer I've ever owned.
    06-24-12 07:14 PM
    I'll take mine in classic black.

I hear you, man!
    06-24-12 07:21 PM
    News flash: RIM ain't dead yet. Unless you're Thorsten Heins, anything beyond that is BS.

That is all.
    stick_slinger and maddie1128 like this.
    06-24-12 07:26 PM
    I just hedged my bets with a SGIII the other day. You should take a closer look at it. It will surprise you. It may be the best phone/phablet/mini computer I've ever owned.
    I know. I looked at one the other day and I learned how to use it in about two minutes, based on my 4 years of BB experience. It's fine. The screen was pretty clear and it had a lot of bells and whistles and similar screen manipulation like my 9800. But man it's HUGE compared to my 9800. Like holding a skinny plastic brick.
    06-24-12 07:27 PM
    Can't see it... I'm interested in bb10 but I can't see any hardware makers licensing this OS over the others.

only thing I can see is if RIM got out of the hardware and paid another manufacturer to produce the hardware like google does with the nexus series.

edit: just last week samsung released a statement sounding as if they were moving away from android

http://www.bgr.com/2012/06/18/samsun...y-smartphones/
    Last edited by Villain79; 06-24-12 at 07:35 PM.
    06-24-12 07:31 PM
    Can't see it... I'm interested in bb10 but I can't see any hardware makers licensing this OS over the others.

only thing I can see is if RIM got out of the hardware and paid another manufacturer to produce the hardware like google does with the nexus series.

edit: just last week samsung released a statement sounding as if they were moving away from android

Samsung Android software: Differentiation is key, says new CEO
    Hm! Now that's interesting!
    06-24-12 07:36 PM
    Hm! Now that's interesting!
    actually almost seems to fit now doesnt it?
    06-24-12 07:40 PM

Samsung Android software: Differentiation is key, says new CEO
    Samsung also said they'd be introducing an enterpise version of the Galaxy S3. They seem to be talking about forking Android, not leaving it.
    06-24-12 07:43 PM
    At the risk of being flamed, here it goes...

I think it's plausible for the split of RIM phone hardware + QNX OS from BES/BIS + NOC + NewBay. Each group keeping it's respective patents.

NewBay, BES/BIS, NOC, & Mobile Fusion would be able to determine it's own strategies to compete with other mobile device management providers like MobileIron and so forth.

Moreover, phone hardware manufacturing/servicing would be completely outsourced. RIM smartphones would be designed in-house still. RIM phone hardware + QNX OS would be free to turnout new models quicker without worrying about the integration into BES/BIS. This integration could arrive later if there is any delay in integration changes. BlackBerry smartphones could be released and used on any MDM without the bottlenecks of BES development/integration. In theory, new BlackBerry devices would have a shorter development cycle. New models would arrive to the market quicker to satisfy customers.

Also both new companies could perhaps be more appealing to potential investors or buyers. NewBay, BES/BIS, NOC & Mobile Fusion might be of interest to IBM, HP, DELL, or carriers like Vodafone.

Whereas, RIM phone hardware, QNX OS, and respective patents might be of interest to Amazon, Samsung or HTC.

Some of you might think, these are blasphemous thoughts but the old RIM structure is not going to survive. The board has a legal responsibility to maximize shareholder value prior to market cap declining from $5 Billion to 4, 3, 2, or $1 Billion.

BBOS 10 smartphone is one product line. If it does not catch on with N. American consumer then I don't want to contemplate the rest...

Splitting RIM into 2 companies would firewall the rest of the company if BBOS 10 does not succeed.

P.S. One final thought, RIM hardware / QNX would have a servicing arrangement with the other new company to maintain App World and any new features to the ecosystem.
    Last edited by the_sleuth; 06-24-12 at 07:58 PM.
    06-24-12 07:54 PM
    well i guess if this is true then i guess the future of crackberry.com is short lives to. Its been a good run Kevin better grab and run with your cash
    06-24-12 08:41 PM
    I think it's plausible for the split of RIM phone hardware + QNX OS from BES/BIS + NOC + NewBay. Each group keeping it's respective patents.

I have been thinking a while that while the NOC/BIS have some advantages, it just makes RIM too slow to compete in the consumer market in the US. Too late now but I was thinking what if RIM had split BlackBerry into a "Style" line and a "Bold" line. Style would be ActiveSync all the way. Big touchscreens. Could have even ran Android.

Then the Bold line could have just been the "real" BlackBerrys we all know.

Oh well.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-24-12 08:42 PM
    "well i guess if this is true then i guess the future of crackberry.com is short lives to. Its been a good run Kevin better grab and run with your cash "

no, no you don't understand, now there is only one crackberry after a split you get two or three crackberries, this thing is going to multiply big time...
    06-24-12 09:00 PM
    I have been thinking a while that while the NOC/BIS have some advantages, it just makes RIM too slow to compete in the consumer market in the US. Too late now but I was thinking what if RIM had split BlackBerry into a "Style" line and a "Bold" line. Style would be ActiveSync all the way. Big touchscreens. Could have even ran Android.

Then the Bold line could have just been the "real" BlackBerrys we all know.

Oh well.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    i wouldn't buy a Blackberry Stale nor a Blackberry Bald
    06-24-12 09:17 PM
    yeah sounds like old news. Things cant be that bad if they are selling out of phones in China and people are lining up for BB10.
    Oh it can get much worse and we shall bear witness to the dismiss of Research In Motion. As for people lining up for BlackBerry 10, there is no product based on BlackBerry 10 available for purchase. So who is lining up and where are these mysterious people forming queues? If I had a wet cod fish, I's smack you upside the head.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    06-25-12 06:57 AM
    Well, we're still here. But, let's not pretend that we're going to see a turn-around based completely on a BB10 device. I believe we would all love to see that happen. Just remember, the stories printed about RIM may/may not be completely credible, but, we would be foolish not to realize that it is going to be an uphill battle for awhile.....even after the launch of BB10. So, at this point there are no BlackBerry devices to advertise, right?. Ok. Focus on regaining lost trust and "calming the waters" to prevent a very, very important launch from becoming another reported nail.... At this point, Advertising about BB10- whenever they're available, won't mean anything if most don't believe that RIM is back on a solid foundation before buying another BlackBerry.
    06-25-12 08:34 AM
    According to a post on the BNN TV this morning, RIM is denying the reports that they are spinning off anything.

Of course, companies always want to play things down. Then BANG, things are done.
    06-25-12 10:10 AM
    Anyone else get goosebumps thinking BB=Palm if they split? Please don't split the company! Apple did fine never splitting up.
    06-25-12 02:53 PM
    Anyone else get goosebumps thinking BB=Palm if they split? Please don't split the company! Apple did fine never splitting up.
    but in effect apple did. They turned their focus to other markets and made if big in those areas.
    06-25-12 04:00 PM
    06-25-12 05:08 PM
    What the Pros are telling the Joes:

Video - CNBC
    06-25-12 08:26 PM
101 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD