RIM returns to the charge with its PlayBook 2.0

My comments ;
    While it's "returns to the charge" and not "Strikes back", looks like press starts a "like story" around here. "Le Monde" is one of the most respected and read daily newspaper here, it is somehow a "reference" known for impartiality. So impartial, you may note the conclusion is really balanced. Still, the title and content are good news.
    Warning: this is no-way a tech article/newspaper, some lines may make you smile, like they did to me. People reading this paper aren't tecchies either

Article link and translation bellow.

Link in French : RIM revient � la charge avec sa tablette PlayBook - LeMonde.fr

And now some home made translation :
    Who says the tablet playbook of Research In Motion (RIM) was dead? The Canadian group, creator of the famous Blackberry, took advantage of Mobile World Congress, the large room of the mobile phone, which was held in Barcelona from February 27 to March 1st to try to prove otherwise. How? In presenting the new version of its operating system for tablets, the PlayBook 2.0, available for download from February 21.

Unlike some competitors, who have provided their presentations in rooms with great fanfare gigantic videos, music blaring and lights fluorescent, the Canadian firm has settled for a simple presentation.
    It's time for humility and caution. One can say that the launch playbook, in April 2011, the parent company of BlackBerry, had suffered a great blow. Less than a million products sold in nearly a year, when Apple sells 15 million copies of its iPad in just three months ...
    To support sales, RIM had no choice but to sell off his machine at $ 200. Some rumors even predicted its final judgment.

SYNCHRONIZATION
    The main problem with the playbook, it's too complex a system, which was difficult to synchronize with the BlackBerry. Worse, it was impossible to access his mails if you do not have a phone of the same brand.
    With the new version of operating software of the tablet, these problems are ancient history, we are assured by the manufacturer in Canada. "We mixed the best of what QNX and that device can do, "enthuses Alan Panezic , a senior company official.
    Among the enhancements to the software, a simple Bluetooth connection allows full synchronization with the BlackBerry playbook. Emails and diaries are immediately imported.
    More practically, a new messaging app centralizes all the emails received by business and personal users, as well as alerts come directly from social networks, Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn.
    This same program retrieves all the information likely to catch attention of users on social networks such as the "events" Facebook or birthdays, and he incorporates them into his schedule. Add to this it is also now possible to fill the gaps, by downloading some Android applications, the operating system from Google.

COMPETITION FROM WINDOWS 8
    But according to Mr. Panezic, the most important innovation is the "Black Berry Balance ", a system that allows to use the tablet both in a professional and personal level. "The company employees are increasingly called upon to use their own terminals. Lines are blurred between professional and personal equipment. We wanted to support this development and offer the possibility to use the tablet in both cases, "says Panezic. Thus, all that is professional is stored in an encrypted location memory and secure thanks to "unique know how of RIM ".

"While the strategy to follow the evolution of uses, to promote the mix of genres between personal and professional sound is no indication that there will be room for a new operating system. Especially as competition with the new Microsoft Windows 8 should be tough, "concludes Scott Bicheno , from the Strategy Analytics firm.

Sarah Belouezzane
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-06-12 at 06:43 AM.
    missing_K-W and jamesbondOO7 like this.
    03-06-12 06:39 AM
    What is strange is that they seem to say that bridge is new, or at least that it was not working well before. For me I don't see any difference, apart from remote control that they don't even mention.
    03-06-12 07:15 AM
    What is strange is that they seem to say that bridge is new, or at least that it was not working well before. For me I don't see any difference, apart from remote control that they don't even mention.
    Don't you know there have been a spacial time break ?
    Yes, I noticed several patented errors or -say- approximations (like QNX being the 'older OS'). But it doesn't really matter. Many people won't event read the article, title will be enough to them. More, these errors are not important while they state about the "past" and are "resolved".
    03-06-12 07:25 AM
    QNX is far older than RIM's java OS. Also Bridge might as well be new with the enhancements. It works significantly better than before and added many new features. Overall a good article and positive as well.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-06-12 09:09 AM
    Thanks for the post Superfly_FR. Enjoy reading perspectives from other countries.

BTW, I did end up having to do the OS 2.0 update while I was in France. I was worried because my hotel wifi was limited to 200 MB/day, but I had an unlimited connection where I was working so the update was relatively quick and painless.
    03-06-12 11:18 PM
    Thanks for the post Superfly_FR. Enjoy reading perspectives from other countries.

BTW, I did end up having to do the OS 2.0 update while I was in France. I was worried because my hotel wifi was limited to 200 MB/day, but I had an unlimited connection where I was working so the update was relatively quick and painless.
    We, for sure, have color TV now !
    03-07-12 01:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD