Really??
    Blackberry helped Samsung make Knox more secure and provided integration to BES. And they made him use a S4 instead a Blackberry?? It's like replacing a M4 with a Colt!
    It's all about the threat model. A Colt is a whole lot easier to conceal than an M4, for instance - the M4 makes no sense at all if you're trying to blend in.

Similarly, BES and regular Knox are designed for enterprise users. They have a very different threat model to the POTUS - he needed custom software, which likely made Android's open nature a good fit. But he still needs a powerful MDM, and Knox integrates well since it's made by Samsung themselves.

BlackBerry wasn't in the Android game at the time they started development, so if the openness was a must, they weren't even an option - though whether or not the Priv would be any better a fit is still hard to say, because we don't know anything definite about the selection criteria. But there's plenty of ways in which the GS4 makes sense if you stop to think about it.
    06-15-16 10:36 AM
    If its an S4 then it shows how long and bureaucratic the certification and customization process takes. Expect the PRIV to be in Trump's small hands in 2020
    Erik_1991 likes this.
    06-15-16 12:27 PM
    "custom software" and "Android's open nature"?
    So they spend millions of dollars on DoD and writing a Cryptography application is easier for them on Android?
    Forgive me for being a newbie, but what is the priority of a phone with no Camera/Microphone/Call/SMS with an open nature? Is it about the outdated SDKs of BB10?
    It's not about being easier (though that probably helps), but about involving less people in development. Android is open-source, so if you need to make modifications to the OS, you don't need to ask the company that developed it to work with you. That means less people know about the exact nature of the custom software, making it easier to keep a secret.

Having said that, Knox itself is not open-source, so Samsung might still have to be involved in some capacity - though it does work on non-Samsung Android devices, so they may have also leveraged that capability to make it work on their custom ROM without involving Samsung. Again, it's really hard to say without knowing any details, this is all guesswork on my part. But it's certainly possible that they wanted to stick with Android to minimize third-party involvement.
    anon(9878325) likes this.
    06-15-16 02:57 PM
    It's quite likely a modified Galaxy S4, according to Ars Technica: Goodbye Obamaberry, hello Obamadroid | Ars Technica
    From an early article I read, the DoD was looking for off the shelf product that could be "tweaked", readily available and not depending on one manufacturer. I think the "openness" of Android attracted them.

Is interesting the article mentioned NIAP certification which Chen is waiting on for BB10... sadly by the time they get the certification, not sure what good it will do if there aren't devcies in production.
    06-15-16 03:27 PM
    Hey, it's a tool, not a toy!

Attachment 402068
    Built in hand warmer? Must have a Snapdragon 810!
    06-15-16 09:15 PM
    For the sake of national security, I am glad POTUS didn't let on who makes his new smartphone. I wish, though, it's a modified Classic without the camera but souped up internals. I'm sure hackers will soon be able to find out if it's an Android phone Obama now has. If he did go this route, then I'm really worried about the United States' national security. If possible someone should catch the President in public with his new smartphone and take a quick pic of it.

Posted via CB10 on my VZW Z30
    The NSA provides the President's, phone, In the past anyway. Per what is on display at the NSA public museum, they were what looked like modified BlackBerry devices.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Avenzuno likes this.
    06-16-16 04:02 PM
    Uhm, where's his Priv, Mr. Chen?

Posted via CB10
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    06-17-16 08:06 AM
    I would think his S4 is as close to a Samsung as his old Bold was to BlackBerry. Essentially a shell with custom software.
    06-17-16 08:21 AM
    I would think his S4 is as close to a Samsung as his old Bold was to BlackBerry. Essentially a shell with custom software.
    Yeah, hard to believe the POTUS is using a phone that can be compromised by a simple multimedia message.

Mediaserver got 15 patches this month:
    Critical Vulnerabilities Patched in Android Mediaserver, Qualcomm Drivers | SecurityWeek.Com

I think even without Snapchat, Facebook and WhatsApp etc etc, a NIAP certfied BB10 device would still be much more fun for him.
    06-20-16 07:48 AM
    It's a Samsung galasy s4.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-16 10:42 AM
    Whatever device he is using you can bet it's a secure device and they sure as hell are not going to tell the public how it operates and what security measures it uses.
    You're right the NSA will not disclose the modifications they made to the smartphone used by the POTUS. The Chinese Government already knows but you aren't allowed to know. A Fisher-Price "smartphone" is better suited to Osaka... I meant Obama.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    06-20-16 06:43 PM
    It would be interesting to hear why a modified Secusmart BlackBerry on BES isn't secure enough for him. Just to learn about some of the vulnerabilities that still exist in that kind of "secure" environment would be interesting.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-16 07:10 AM
    It would be interesting to hear why a modified Secusmart BlackBerry on BES isn't secure enough for him. Just to learn about some of the vulnerabilities that still exist in that kind of "secure" environment would be interesting.

Posted via CB10
    Vulnerabilities? Outages back in 2011 showed the vulnerabilities of relying on someone else's network. If you don't think BlackBerry's NOC nodes where targets in someone's war games.....
    06-21-16 07:30 AM
    Vulnerabilities? Outages back in 2011 showed the vulnerabilities of relying on someone else's network. If you don't think BlackBerry's NOC nodes where targets in someone's war games.....
    True, but since then BlackBerry has acquired Secusmart, Movirtu, Good, and Watchdox among others. Elliptic curve cryptography is still effective, so I wonder where the remaining security holes are if you get a BlackBerry tricked out with all the additional hardware and software security goodies you can get through BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-16 10:48 PM
    True, but since then BlackBerry has acquired Secusmart, Movirtu, Good, and Watchdox among others. Elliptic curve cryptography is still effective, so I wonder where the remaining security holes are if you get a BlackBerry tricked out with all the additional hardware and software security goodies you can get through BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I think the number of players that need that level of security are very small.
    But there are things like the viability of the company and any weakness in their service that are considered just as much as their hardening of the device.

BlackBerry the company is in pretty good shape now, but even a few months ago Chen was still talking like hardware might not be around. A few years ago most didn't think the company would be around. A lot of decisions were made as BBOS was phased out, it might take years to regain some of those customers...

For the President... he never was really using a BlackBerry so it really doesn't matter.
    06-22-16 07:03 AM
    Yeah, but in all fairness, you don't need the NOC anymore for BB10.

You can completely avoid the NOC by connecting BB10 to your BES/Mailserver over your own VPN.
    06-22-16 09:53 AM
    But still big enough to go through the NIAP certification.
    Actually the number seems to be big enough not only for BlackBerry but also for their competitors.

If their BB10 customer base would be really about to phase out BB10, then why do they apply for NIAP anyways?
    Wouldn't it be better for these customers to approach Samsung with their NIAP certfied solution?
    06-22-16 09:57 AM
    But still big enough to go through the NIAP certification.
    Actually the number seems to be big enough not only for BlackBerry but also for their competitors.

If their BB10 customer base would be really about to phase out BB10, then why do they apply for NIAP anyways?
    Wouldn't it be better for these customers to approach Samsung with their NIAP certfied solution?

Too be honest I don't understand what NIAP gets them.

Keep existing device in place, along with their BES licensing?
    Sell what's left of existing inventory... are they making money selling Passports for $350? Or are they just converting dead inventory into cash?

I'd say based on the live meeting this morning... BB10 is done. Maybe Chen will say something tomorrow.
    06-22-16 10:55 AM
    But there are things like the viability of the company and any weakness in their service that are considered just as much as their hardening of the device.

BlackBerry the company is in pretty good shape now, but even a few months ago Chen was still talking like hardware might not be around. A few years ago most didn't think the company would be around. A lot of decisions were made as BBOS was phased out, it might take years to regain some of those customers...

For the President... he never was really using a BlackBerry so it really doesn't matter.
    As to the small number of people that need that level of security, I definitely agree. I guess that's my point. I would think that the POTUS would be one of those people, and if the features aren't "good enough" to meet the requirements of the secret service, it would be interesting to know what the remaining vulnerabilities are that turn them off to it.

The performance of the handset division is all that's talked about in the news and by analysts, but the software division is growing by leaps and bounds, and they've managed to to stay cash flow positive and hang on to a large cash balance. The fact that they're still around and still have lots of cash, despite what we've been hearing from the news and analyst reports, is one of the main reasons I remain optimistic. The turnaround is not happening as fast as anyone wanted, but I believe it is happening. Let's see if there's any interesting news today.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-16 07:04 AM
    Bumping this thread, and maybe somebody in the Mercury forum can send him one... he did love his BlackBerry!
    02-01-17 10:49 AM
    Bumping this thread, and maybe somebody in the Mercury forum can send him one... he did love his BlackBerry!
    He had gotten an iPhone for personal stuff and was getting the hang of it.

But yeah it wouldn't hurt for TCL to send him and other high profile people that have been known to use BlackBerries. But the thing is.... is it anything they would recognize as a BlackBerry? Many of these ones never went the BB10 upgrade path..... .
    Laura Knotek and jmr1015 like this.
    02-01-17 11:13 AM
    More importantly, President Obama KNOWS what the NSA does with all this data.

Once you've seen the sausage being made you just can't enjoy it anymore!
    3_M4N and zephyr613 like this.
    02-22-17 12:34 AM
    More importantly, President Obama KNOWS what the NSA does with all this data.

Once you've seen the sausage being made you just can't enjoy it anymore!
    Obama isn't president anymore. Lol.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    02-22-17 06:13 AM
    Obama isn't president anymore. Lol.
    The formal title is retained. All past presidents are addressed in that manner.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    02-22-17 11:45 AM
    The formal title is retained. All past presidents are addressed in that manner.
    Is that so in US too?

From my awesome Z30
    03-06-17 01:14 PM
54 123