Could Prem be stepping down just to walk away from BlackBerry. I hope that's not the case, as that would most definitely be a negative sign.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 01:28 PM
    Didn't you hear him and the board say he stepped down to avoid any perception of conflict of interest with the board's latest initiative? Plus, he indicated he has no intention of divesting his BBRY shares.
    08-20-13 01:57 PM
    It could be a tactic to illicit a partner/buyer who has been sitting on the fence. This may push the issue if they believe someone like Prem may make a move first

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 02:17 PM
    Could Prem be stepping down just to walk away from BlackBerry. I hope that's not the case, as that would most definitely be a negative sign.

Posted via CB10
    He is too invested in BlackBerry to just walk away.

We will have a much better idea once the Q2 results are here - if number are positive then they are looking for someone to partners or go private with to keep BlackBerry running. If numbers are bad, then most likely Prem want to protect what is left of the company and not let the value go down anymore that it has.
    08-20-13 02:27 PM
    He is too invested in BlackBerry to just walk away.

We will have a much better idea once the Q2 results are here - if number are positive then they are looking for someone to partners or go private with to keep BlackBerry running. If numbers are bad, then most likely Prem want to protect what is left of the company and not let the value go down anymore that it has.
    Is there any doubt that the numbers WILL be bad?

Didn't Thor at last quarter's ER already warn that losses would continue into this quarter?

Only about a month before we know for sure... And I agree that's when Prem will make his move (if he's going to)
    08-20-13 02:34 PM

Didn't Thor at last quarter's ER already warn that losses would continue into this quarter?

Only about a month before we know for sure... And I agree that's when Prem will make his move (if he's going to)
    He already knows, he was privy to all discussions and internal numbers.
    08-20-13 02:39 PM

If the don't exceed the forecast losses, then in a way it is still good. Bad would be to exceed those losses beyond what they had forecast.

I'm not an expert, don't they usually provide adjusted guidance if they see a big difference one way or another from what was forecast? Is it a requirement or just good practice?
    08-20-13 03:35 PM
    He already knows, he was privy to all discussions and internal numbers.
    Yes, that's my thought too. And my suspicion is that he's distancing himself now to avoid (possibly legal?) finger-pointing when the results he's already mostly seen (quarter ends in a few days yes?) are made public next month... and he can act quickly without fear of accusations of conflicts of interest.

To be fair, that exactly the reason he stated for stepping down.
    08-20-13 03:55 PM
    Yes, that's my thought too. And my suspicion is that he's distancing himself now to avoid (possibly legal?) finger-pointing when the results he's already mostly seen (quarter ends in a few days yes?) are made public next month... and he can act quickly without fear of accusations of conflicts of interest.

To be fair, that exactly the reason he stated for stepping down.
    I don't believe he will tender a serious bid. I believe at this point he wouldn't mind breaking even or making a modest profit. Similar to elavation partners $25 million exit from palm, after they initially invested over $425 million.
    08-20-13 04:11 PM
    Guess who just saved Blackberry... BlackBerry Enters into Letter of Intent with Consortium led by Fairfax Financial - MarketWatch

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 12:44 PM
    Did he (and Fairfax) just save BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    09-23-13 01:17 PM
    Saved them?

Perspective is everything LOL.
    09-23-13 01:23 PM
    If you are a stock holder like me who purchased BBRY when it was $56 a share and again when it was $16 a share, the saving of BBRY is very painful. My total loss at $9 a share will be around $5,000 to $6,000. Oh how the stock market can humble a person!

This is good for BlackBerry, bad for some of us Long stockholders.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    Last edited by newcollector; 09-23-13 at 02:23 PM.
    Acumenight likes this.
    09-23-13 01:31 PM
    If you are a stock holder like me who purchased BBRY when it was $56 a share and again when it was $16 a share, the saving of BBRY is very painful. My total liss at $9 a share will be around $5,000 to $6,000. Oh how the stock market can humble a person!

Indeed. I'm in a better position but, either way, it's a diminishing... humbling, as you say.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    09-23-13 01:45 PM
    If you are a stock holder like me who purchased BBRY when it was $56 a share and again when it was $16 a share, the saving of BBRY is very painful. My total liss at $9 a share will be around $5,000 to $6,000. Oh how the stock market can humble a person!

In the same boat. I'm not mad about losing the money - that's the risk of the stock market. I just think $9 is way too low.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:48 PM
    All y'all should be asking yourselves why you bought when all signs pointed to a loss. Self-destructive personalities? I've been telling people not to buy for literally 2 years now.

Think about it. All you had to do was listen to me, and you would be richer than you are now.
    09-23-13 02:21 PM
    All y'all should be asking yourselves why you bought when all signs pointed to a loss. Self-destructive personalities? I've been telling people not to buy for literally 2 years now.

Think about it. All you had to do was listen to me, and you would be richer than you are now.
    I bought more than two years ago at $56. The other purchase at $16 was against my financial advisors advice. That I was willing to risk in the hopes that BBRY could do a turnaround with the release of BB10. Unfortunately, BBRY couldn't sell vestments to a priest, let alone a quality phone to a consumer market.
    09-23-13 02:26 PM