Appologies if this suject has already been looked at but I was just thinking about when we get the new BB10 phones how the predictive word substitution etc will work if offered on a physical keyboard or if it can be. As we are aware this is going to be a major feature for the full touch screen and is a fabulous innovative process which I feel will help to sell it to BBM'ers Text'ers.

What do we think or indeed know already.
    06-22-12 04:18 AM
    i am guessing you will see something similar with use of the trackpad perhaps. I would assume it will be a little different than the standard we have now on the OS 7 lineup.
    06-22-12 05:13 AM
    Why do you need predictive text on a phisical keyboard ??!

Sent from my A$$ Kickin Berry using Tapatalk
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-22-12 05:21 AM

Hi, I think you have a valid point but this is a selling point of BB10 so I was just wondering how it might work on a none touch only phone. I also feel that it may atract folk from other manufacturers. At the same time of thinking about adoption rates of those of us who already use BB?
    06-22-12 07:22 AM
    Hi, I think you have a valid point but this is a selling point of BB10 so I was just wondering how it might work on a none touch only phone. I also feel that it may atract folk from other manufacturers. At the same time of thinking about adoption rates of those of us who already use BB?

For that , they can use the down part of the screen , you can type and the suggestions will appear down the screen , so they will be very close to your thumbs .

06-22-12 07:52 AM

Agreed. For a physical keyboard doesn't autotext accomplish the same thing?
    06-22-12 07:53 AM
    Autotext on BBs is mostly corrections to commonly misspelled words and you can add entries for typing shortcuts of words or BBM symbols you use a lot.

Predictive text is software related, and is on the phones with a keyboard as well as the touchscreen phones.

For example, when I type "acc", the phone will give me suggestions... according, access, account, accounts, accused, accept, accounting, and accompanied.

If I want one of those words, I can click on it or continue typing, and the predictions will change as the letters I type eliminate some possible words, and offer new predictions based on the letters I am typing.
    06-22-12 08:49 AM
    Gotcha. How would that work with a physical keyboard though? Just have the row of predictions at the bottom of the touch screen part?
    06-22-12 08:57 AM
    Gotcha. How would that work with a physical keyboard though? Just have the row of predictions at the bottom of the touch screen part?
    basically yes. the selected word would be accepted by hitting spacebar or a touch/swipe etc of the word
    06-22-12 09:04 AM
    On the current phones with a keyboard, we get a small pop up box with the word suggestions as we type. Mine on the 9780 shows 3 lines, and I can scroll down the list using the trackpad to see all the words the software is suggesting.
    06-22-12 09:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD