I posted this in general forum because it pertains to more than one specific BB.

Okay, my rant for the day: Precision icons! Why on earth did they start making the icons in a very simple line art design when the screens are becoming higher res and have nice brilliant displays?

As a theme creator, I have noticed that this caused a few problems....

While I can theme the built-in apps back to 3d color style icons, some third party apps have followed suit and started to make their icons in a line art style to match the precision theme. So the end result is, no matter what I do, there will be icons that don't match the rest of the theme! And that just makes the theme lack a design flow if you know hwat I mean lol.

If I change the precision icons to Vista-like ones for example, apps like Viigo, Docs2Go, Google Maps, Facebook etc won't match because I can not skin them. And if I leave the precision icons and theme around that style, other 3rd party apps like MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, GPSed, most games (as examples) won't match because they use 3d vista style icons.

It actually bugs me enough that I hide all my 3rd party apps that dont follow suit, into folders!

Who ever thought it would be a good idea to go with line art icons anyway??

End Rant!
    09-09-09 07:13 AM
    because they look Clean, plain and simple
    09-09-09 12:20 PM
    Yeah, BBs are supposed to be high-end business devices, not supposed to look like a gameboys.
    09-09-09 01:59 PM
    ^^ qft, lol.

It's a matter of taste too... Personally, I rather like them and actually prefer them over any other theme icon set I have tried so far.
    09-09-09 03:27 PM
    Because any machine designed for business MUST have a really poor and crappy interface. The closer you can get it to look like "Missle Command" on the Atari 2600, the better.

I do believe I read that somewherez.
    09-09-09 04:09 PM
    because they look Clean, plain and simple
    I agree and I also like the precision icons. I always thought the stock icons that came with older devices were kind of cartoonish and cheesy.

If you don't like the precision icon set, then find a theme that has icons of your liking and install it.
    09-09-09 05:29 PM
    I used a theme on my 8330 to make the ugly 4.5 icons go away. Much prefer the look of the 4.6+ precision icons!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-09 05:43 PM
    I like the percision icons but all other apps don't have them so I always have half percision and half 4.5os icons

09-09-09 05:53 PM
    I love folders. I always leave the default icon set intact and stick all 3rd party apps into folders. Works brilliantly.
    09-09-09 06:06 PM
    So the end result is, no matter what I do, there will be icons that don't match the rest of the theme! And that just makes the theme lack a design flow if you know hwat I mean lol.
    Wouldn't this always be the case? I mean, if you have one of those iPhone looking themes with those spiffy icons, none of the third party icons will match.

But that is my rant... if you want a device that has an iPhone interface... buy a dang iPhone. ;-)
    09-09-09 06:12 PM
    ^^ qft, lol.

It's a matter of taste too... Personally, I rather like them and actually prefer them over any other theme icon set I have tried so far.
    I like the icons too. I think the icons are very clean and distinctive.

09-09-09 08:03 PM
    I love folders. I always leave the default icon set intact and stick all 3rd party apps into folders. Works brilliantly.
    i do the same thing. and like everyone says, the precision icons are pretty nice.
    09-10-09 12:18 AM
    I love the Prcision icons as well.

I agree with the previous posts about the Precision icons looking clean, and simple, and the original icon set looking cartoonish.

09-10-09 12:45 AM
    Precision icons are the best thing RIM has done with their OS. That's good
    and bad, but still, they are perfect for me. I'm not a theme person at all and
    they suit me pretty well.
    09-10-09 12:50 AM
    Lol. As much as I love the Precision icons, it was very lame that RIM released the Tour with basically only one theme (Precision)...

Sure Verizon had a carrier theme on the Tour, but it was just a reworked Precision OEM theme.

09-10-09 12:58 AM
    Lol. As much as I love the Precision icons, it was very lame that RIM released the Tour with basically only one theme (Precision)...

Sure Verizon had a carrier theme on the Tour, but it was just a reworked Precision OEM theme.

Same thing with AT&T on the Bold and 8900
    09-10-09 01:11 AM
    i'm a big fan of Precision icons...but everyone has there opinion. i personally do now like 90% of the gfx intense themes with all the crazy colors and icons going on.
    09-10-09 05:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD