Hello, with so many scams/stolen product for sale in local classifieds it hard to find a reputable seller. I am in search for a Blackberry 8900 and would definitely want a problem free transaction. Besides the check if everything is there, I can call my phone carrier to make sure PIN is valid/not stolen, and should I check speakers, track ball functionality etc??

What do you do when you buy a used phone?

Thanks in advance !
    06-02-09 04:12 PM
    i have always bought my used phones from people on howardforums. i would either buy from there or this forums marketplace. at least we have a clue what we are doing as opposed to ebay and craigslist sellers.
    06-02-09 05:19 PM
    Not sure if the 8900 has this but the 83xx series do. Options > Status and once in Status instantly type "TEST" and you can run a test on every thing pertaining to the phone to make sure every thing is working properly. Takes around 5-10 minutes to complete the test.
    06-02-09 05:20 PM
    Def. Checa the pin. I would personally go over the whole phone if you are meeting In person.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-09 05:23 PM
    Not sure if the 8900 has this but the 83xx series do. Options > Status and once in Status instantly type "TEST" and you can run a test on every thing pertaining to the phone to make sure every thing is working properly. Takes around 5-10 minutes to complete the test.
    Works the same on the 8900.
    06-02-09 05:23 PM
    I read a tip from around here and if you're going to buy from craigslist, ask to meet at a corporate store and have them get you all set up to make sure its legit. Have them run the pin, have them get your data plan on it to make sure the internet works alright, etc etc. Try to make a call, send a text message, send an email, make sure everything is in working order before you buy!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-09 05:38 PM
    I purchased my 8330 from craigslist and the guy luckily called in and had the PIN checked for me. I'd never used a Blackberry before and had no idea how to make sure it was legit.
    06-02-09 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD