I am new to the board and yes, I currently have a Treo 755P and I LOVE it. I have been a loyal Treo user back to the old 600 model years ago. My friends tell me I should make the leap to a BB Tour. Other people tell me the Pre is the better of the two and it would be easier for me to use based upon my Treo experience.

I know this is a BB board but can anyone give an objective comparison between the two? Has anyone used the Treo and switched to the BB and loved it / hated it? Thanks
    07-29-09 06:51 PM
    Ok here it goes. If you really like Windows Mobile phones it will take a little getting used to switching to a BB. I personally like BBs. At my job I get to use all kinds of phones (and personally have a Storm, Tour, and an iPhone 3GS). I have used the Pre and it is nice, but seems a little slow. There is a few second delay when you click on an app to open it. If I were you I'd go into a store and play with a Tour for a little while and just see if you like it. Also, you can grab a simulator for it here and see what it is like.
    07-29-09 07:07 PM
    Matty, the 755P is a Palm OS device, hence the P.

That said the Pre has absolutely nothing similar to the 755P. Your friend that said you would have an easier time adjusting had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. WebOS works like nothing else out there.

That said the Tour is at least similar is form factor to what you are using now. There have been quite a few debates on this and it really comes down to what you want out of a device. Decide what are the most important aspects that you want from a phone and go from there. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I went through this same debate a couple weeks ago and decided on the Tour primarily because the Pre cannot tether, has a much more limited app selection, and the shoddy build quality of the device itself.
    07-29-09 07:12 PM
    I am sure there are pluses and minuses for each but I am BB illiterate since I have never used one so I can't compare. What I can say is at first glance, the keyboard on the Pre is smaller than the 755P and the tackiness or sticky feeling as you type is weird. Anyone know why the keyboard is that way?

Boom - Tether is not important to me and the build of the phone doesn't look shoddy but your comment about the app selection being limited is interesting. What do you mean?

Some of my BB friends tell me to go with the Pre since they consistently experience problems opening files on the internet. Do you agree?

If I went with a BB it would be the Tour. By the way, someone told me if I got the Pre I could set it in Classic mode which would simulate my current OS. Again, just what I was told.
    Last edited by whodathunkit; 07-29-09 at 07:37 PM.
    07-29-09 07:35 PM
    Take it from someone who owned a 755P once you go Blackberry you never go back to a Palm device. BB's don't freeze up and you don't have people calling you asking you if you got that e-mail they sent you.
    07-29-09 07:55 PM
    Take it from someone who owned a 755P once you go Blackberry you never go back to a Palm device. BB's don't freeze up and you don't have people calling you asking you if you got that e-mail they sent you.
    Interesting - I never have had a freeze up issue with my 755P and as far as emails - no problems, ever.

Now that you have a BB, can you comment on the differences - both + and -'s. Thanks.
    07-29-09 08:14 PM
    Interesting - I never have had a freeze up issue with my 755P and as far as emails - no problems, ever.

Now that you have a BB, can you comment on the differences - both + and -'s. Thanks.
    It doesn't matter. The Pre's OS is completely new, comparing it to the old Garnett stuff is pointless. The WebOS from what I have seen is very stable but at times a little slow, as in the phone needs a bit more horsepower.

Boom - Tether is not important to me and the build of the phone doesn't look shoddy but your comment about the app selection being limited is interesting. What do you mean?
    Look around and you will find tons of issues. The most prominent are a variety of issues with the screen and the sliding mechanism. Both have been extremely troublesome with some people going through up to five of them before getting a solid one.

As far as the apps go. The WebOS is a new platform so the selection of apps is still very limited. Palm has still yet to release the SDK that is needed for companies to write programs for it. They released a beta copy to a few developers so they are starting to trickle in. I am not sure what the official number is but its probably in the neighborhood of 50. For the BB platform there are more apps than you could ever install with more being released everyday. I am not trying to talk you out of a Pre, heck I almost bought one myself. I am just giving you the reasons why it didn't personally work for me.
    07-29-09 09:38 PM
    My experience of smartphones goes in order: ppc6700 >Treo 755 >HTC Mogul >HTC Touch Pro >BB Curve >Palm Pre >BB Curve

The Pre is nothing like any Palm ever before. Its main selling points is being shiney, touch screen and small. Its downsides are the battery is atrocious. I thought my Touch pro was bad with its 6 hour battery life but the pre would barely hit 4 hours. The bottom of the phone is like a razor blade its so damn sharp. The lag on opening apps is aggravating. The lack of apps to make the phone work how I want is annoying. Basically the phones like Ferrari with a Mustang engine in it, slick as **** looking and pretty fast but in the end youve realized you shoulda got a vette.

I loved winmo phones because of all the customizing you can do but really hated the sacrifice in battery. I decided to try the curve just because it was a Blackberry and I always hear great things about them. At first I was frustrated cuz I missed having my start menu to get to my apps but then I found quicklaunch. I also hated, and still do, the fact that text messages werent truely threaded but word is thats about to be fixed. After about 3 days of still being on the fence if I made the right choice leaving my Touch Pro I found this site and after reading about apps, tweaks, themes etc I have never been so happy with a phone. My battery lasts me an entire day at work and into the night and Im a pretty heavy user. The push (instant) emails is a life saver for me and I love not having to do anything to get them, they just appear within seconds of being sent. The keyboard is very comfortable and responsive. The screen is very bright and everything looks good on it. My phone has froze once and it was a faulty sd card. Call quality and signal is excellent. The camera is great, especially for a phone. The GPS has zero lag like the Touch Pro had. The phone just feels good in my hands, especially compared to the Pre. Lastly, the amount of apps available is unreal. Granted they arent all free like on winmo, all the ones Ive bought have been well wort the minimal cost.

As a previous winmo and pre user I highly recommend getting a Berry. Yes you'll have a week long learning curve but if you look around here and use a couple great apps youll be addicted in no time.

The pre is the new fad and everyone thinks its so great.....until you use one for a week or so.
    Last edited by wingzfan61; 07-29-09 at 11:26 PM.
    07-29-09 11:22 PM
    I agree with Boom that the Pre has had some issues. The Sprint person said out of 10, 2 are returned for defects as opposed to 0 for the Tour. That is certainly a minus but I could live with an 80% of a good phone if I felt the use is superior to the Tour.

I'm stuck Can't decide which is better. I just spoke with a buddy and he said the BB platform has difficulty in opening applications on the net and the Pre is better. That shouldn't be the deciding factor but I use the internet on my phone a lot and would be a minus for me. Also, I have grown use to the touch screen.

Those that made the change from a Treo to BB - do you miss the touch screen?
    07-31-09 04:30 PM
    I used Palm and windows based devices for years and I made the switch to blackberry about 2 months ago. I can honestly say I missed the Treo touchscreen for all of 30 minutes. Once I started to see the things the blackberry can do and the ease of this device, I will never go back to palm of windows based. BB is really in a class of it's own.
    07-31-09 04:36 PM
    I used Palm and windows based devices for years and I made the switch to blackberry about 2 months ago. I can honestly say I missed the Treo touchscreen for all of 30 minutes. Once I started to see the things the blackberry can do and the ease of this device, I will never go back to palm of windows based. BB is really in a class of it's own.
    i agree. going from the 700wx,755p and 800w and i though i would really miss the touchscreen.
    blackberry's seem to render things for a mobile platform. the treo's didnt.

to the op i would say get the pre try it out for 30 days and then try the tour out.
    i say it in that order because i am pretty darn sure you are going to be keeping the tour, lol
    07-31-09 06:07 PM
    Personally, I have had a treo and I've had a blackberry curve. I like the curve much better than the treo but it took more time to get used to than the treo.

Personally I don't like the pre because the keyboard doesn't feel good to me and I hate slider phones. I'd go to the store and play with both before making your descision. Worst case you could try one for 29 days, decide you don't like it and trade it for the other one and you're only out $35

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 11:57 PM
    There's a whole thread dedicated to the 9630, if you wanted to draw some comparisons! I've never used a smartphone other than a BlackBerry, so my opinions are a little biased!
    08-01-09 12:52 AM
    I think the consensus on this board is for the BB Tour over the Pre. Understandable.

Those that have gone the BB Tour/Curve option, what will I be missing out on if I go in that direction over the Pre?
    08-01-09 07:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD