I was watching CES coverage and I saw a demo of Powermat's new line of B]ATTERIES! They will work with the existing powermat technology and they are the same size as an OEM battery! Best of all, the price for the battery is supposed to be in the $50 neighborhood.

Woohoo. No more adapters or ugly battery doors. I may finally break down and buy a powermat now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Edit:

Looks like Engadget finally picked up on this one......Powermat busts out swappable batteries
    Last edited by adambigge; 01-08-10 at 11:14 AM.
    01-07-10 09:06 PM
    Anybody else seen this? I can't believe I am the only one who is excited.

01-08-10 04:12 PM
    yeah, saw this, looks sick, id definatly get one for my 9700
    01-08-10 05:10 PM
    assuming the reference is to cell phone batteries only?

01-08-10 05:28 PM
    I wonder if there is a reduction in maH to get the charging porting added.
    01-08-10 05:40 PM
    I was wondering the same thing. But if Seidio can create a higher mAH battery and still keep the OEM size, I would think it wouldn't be too farfetched to create a PowerPak battery that incorporates the inductive charging components and maintain the stock mAH rating.

I hope....
    01-08-10 06:03 PM
    Would a cradle be cheaper to get?
    01-11-10 04:37 PM
    Would this work through a case?
    01-11-10 05:36 PM
    Probably not. Got Powermat as Xmas gift but returned it when I found out I had to buy separate charging batts. for all my diff. devices! We are talking between $20 to $50 per device!!! Are you kidding me? So, $100 for Powermat and about $150 additional for ea. device in my family! Oh, and you can trash the cases you bought for your BBs too. They won't fit anymore either!
    01-11-10 05:55 PM
    I am all about the new design. Def jumping on it in June when it comes out
    01-11-10 09:43 PM
    I saw the video too. Its nice. I never considered powermat until I saw the demo. Will be waiting.......
    01-11-10 11:01 PM
    i think they need to push up their timeline. you get a little crackberry spotlight on these things, and they will move like hotcakes.
    01-12-10 07:50 AM
    I don't see shelling out the extra $ for these when my inexpensive wall charger and Seidio dock work just fine.
    01-12-10 08:10 AM
    Wonder if they will have a storm compatible wireless charging battery...

01-12-10 01:51 PM
    Probably not. Got Powermat as Xmas gift but returned it when I found out I had to buy separate charging batts. for all my diff. devices! We are talking between $20 to $50 per device!!! Are you kidding me? So, $100 for Powermat and about $150 additional for ea. device in my family! Oh, and you can trash the cases you bought for your BBs too. They won't fit anymore either!
    The whole point behind these new batteries is that they fit inside the phone with the OEM battery covers. That is why it was such big news. And of course you will need different batteries for different devices. Different BB's use different batteries. Now, they have said that it probably won't work through metal battery doors. That means people like us Storm owners may have to get a different battery door but it WILL still fit inside your protective phone case (sedio, otterbox, etc...). That is the whole point behind the new battery. Wireless charging without altering the profile of the phone.
    01-13-10 07:39 AM
    Create a powermat that will charge our devices w/out any new batteries and/or any other things that we also need to buy for our devices. That would be BIG news. Especially the way so many Crackberrians like to pick up the latest phones.

01-13-10 09:04 AM
    Create a powermat that will charge our devices w/out any new batteries and/or any other things that we also need to buy for our devices. That would be BIG news. Especially the way so many Crackberrians like to pick up the latest phones.

LOL. That would be nice. But until RIM starts to incorporate PowerMat technology into their design, it will be impossible. Can't have wireless charging without the accompanying receiver.

Hopefully, though, RIM will see the promise behind this tech and make that move!
    01-13-10 09:13 AM
    If all I have to change is my battery and I can keep the case (Case mate Smart skin) and battery door, then I may get this. I can't use a dock because I don't wanna take my case off all the time. I don't wanna plug it in all the time because the port will eventually go bad. So this would be a great accessory.

01-13-10 05:35 PM
    I am so amazed how many people are willing to buy useless piece of crap like powermat.... I guess you guys have money growing from the tree.... paying over $100 to simply charge your phone??? I will just plug into my wall with the charger I got when I purchased my phone.
    01-15-10 09:35 AM
    I wonder if they could also incorporate some kind of technology in the mat so that it knows when your battery is fully charged, and stops sending power to it, therefore making the battery last longer. This sounds almost too good to be true. I would definitely consider grabbing one if this is the case.
    01-15-10 11:20 AM
    I am so amazed how many people are willing to buy useless piece of crap like powermat.... I guess you guys have money growing from the tree.... paying over $100 to simply charge your phone??? I will just plug into my wall with the charger I got when I purchased my phone.
    I am amazed at how a person will join a forum and within their first 3 posts start trolling......
    And how do you know it is a piece of crap? Do you own one? Have you been to CES and reviewed one? If so, please give us your unbiased opinion of the usability and functionality. Pictures too please. I for one will reserve judgement until I can actually get my hands on one.

I can see this as being a useful item for households with a large number of people with different phones. No more wires all over the counter. No more searching for the proper charger.

As far as it having technology to sense when to stop charging... Modern Lithium Ion batteries already have such tech built into them. Otherwise they would overheat and explode. Which is what happens with defective Lithium Ion batteries.
    01-15-10 11:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD