But TAT makes it much cooler and fun
    Can you explain what exactly is making it more cooler and more fun, just because it comes from TAT? Check out the links in my post above this.
    02-27-12 07:23 PM
    TAT rocks again. And yes, please make it something real which we can touch. Too much concept, too few deliverables. But I don't think it's the problem of TAT but RIM. At least TAT is willing to show us what's coming, how about RIM? Probably that's another example how RIM is going to ruin TAT like what it did to BlackBerry.

Pathetic!
    02-27-12 07:25 PM
    iPods can do this a long time ago. I can't remember the name of the app, since it was in 2008 when I used it. It was the exact same experience as this.

Nothing news here, keep moving.
    This is a means of iOS , sharing a simple API shared over bluetooth....interacting with a software application .

QNX uses transparent multi-processing....have multiple devices that recognize the OS as "one"....This is far from what most people can phathom as currently possible. The devices might be separate, however the OS see's the devices as one.

DMP(distributed multi-processing ) can be hard to grasp.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-27-12 at 07:33 PM.
    sf49ers likes this.
    02-27-12 07:30 PM
    Lol, sorry, I should have said an app that enables you to transfer pictures and other files by 'throwing' them into the direction of the other iDevice.

EDIT: found it. It's called Mover+: App Store - Mover+

Not even close that's like a basic bluetooth pic transfer u can do without an app lol
    The ipod doesn't even have to be near the phone or even on the position you're aiming the pic at. Sorry that's just a basic file transfer nothing cool about that.
    02-27-12 07:36 PM
    This is a means of iOS , sharing a simple API shared over bluetooth....interacting with a software application .

QNX uses transparent multi-processing....have multiple devices that recognize the OS as "one"....This is far from what most people can phathom as currently possible. The devices might be separate, however the OS see's the devices as one.

DMP(distributed multi-processing ) can be hard to grasp.
    This is more likely QNX Persistent Publish/Subscribe, not transparent multi-processing.
    02-27-12 07:36 PM
    Cool, cool, cool. Let's get this stuff out the door. How do those things know they are in proximity to one another?
    02-27-12 07:46 PM
    This is more likely QNX Persistent Publish/Subscribe, not transparent multi-processing.
    Some of us on the forum have been like children waiting for Christmas Day in regards to DMP coming to the QNX BB platform! I know sf49er's and myself have been like kids in a candy shop on this topic going back before the PB was released.

IMHO QNX's networking will be used in the backend (NOC, cloud etc)...Just really curious to get a glimpse of what RIM's plans are for this
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-27-12 at 08:04 PM.
    02-27-12 07:59 PM
    Cool, cool, cool. Let's get this stuff out the door. How do those things know they are in proximity to one another?
    Camera in the ceiling.
    02-27-12 08:02 PM
    the cool thing about this concept is the real time tracking of the positions of different devices. the file transfer as mentioned only goes through normal wifi, which can be done by most devices these days. Mover+ as far as i can work out doesn't have that. Though the major downer is that it requires a camera in the ceiling. But i'm sure eventually the hardware for these kind of tracking would be available on mobile devices.
    02-27-12 08:24 PM
    They've become the strip club of mobile companies -- look but don't touch.
    Really? Where do you live? Here, we can.
    02-27-12 08:29 PM
    Why's everyone so disappointed it was being tracked by a camera? There is another way they could track location or at least rotation; use the compass and gyroscope together.
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    02-27-12 08:30 PM
    They dont need cameras really to do some of that. Essentially this is what they did and could do quite easily.

Take 5 devices, assign each a "color" and then slide the object into that dot on the screen and magically it then is on that person device.

Now that part is certainly good enough for some businesses to work with. yeah its not anything that cant be done on iOS or Android but TAT styling is what really can make it shine. Some of the other stuff certainly does need proximity or cameras but most of that is just to wow a crowd and not so much get work done.
    02-27-12 08:34 PM
    Kinect sold separately?

Still cool nonetheless.
    howarmat likes this.
    02-27-12 08:47 PM
    Can you explain what exactly is making it more cooler and more fun, just because it comes from TAT? Check out the links in my post above this.

I watched the video you gave us.

It's boring compared to what TAT did. Their's is more dynamic, their 'information streams' between playbooks is much cooler and the playbooks are moving around

In your iPhone video the person flicks the picture sideways and it drops from the top
    02-27-12 09:03 PM
    Now I'm disapointed after learning about the camera in the ceiling, I was hoping that this file transfer would be either via BlueTooth or WiFi. To bad, can't see basic consumers using this....nor a company buying a camera and sticking it in their boardroom.
    Don't be too disappointed. I can see mounting a cheap webcam in my room and being able to send my playbook screen to my desktop, laptop or tv. It's an interesting concept and with cameras so cheap, it may be feasible.
    02-27-12 09:23 PM
    well its not just the cameras, there has to be some other 3rd party software that probably isnt cheap
    02-27-12 09:32 PM
    Most impressive thing of all :

When they did the whole animation between the different screens and the person was movign the pbs around.....it didn't lag at all... WOW...this was like a magic trick.
    02-27-12 09:56 PM
    I'm looking forward to the deep integration BB10 will allow for! Gonna be sweet!
    02-27-12 10:00 PM
    RIM better get this out quick !!!! I would bet Google and Apple are already trying to copy it.
    02-27-12 10:20 PM
    OP thanks for the post.
    02-28-12 12:17 AM
    I wonder if those units were using NFC, either that or they were using gyroscope and sensors to maintain relative positioning to one another.
    It uses a camera - probably above the table - to detect the position of the devices.

It doesn't just "magically" happen. You need extra hardware.
    02-28-12 12:46 AM
    Wondering how they can make QNX + TAT + QWERTY keyboard . This would be awesome.
    02-28-12 01:46 AM
    this is great. but perhaps they use the "next" playbook for the show? without NFS and DLNA, I think it is impossible to do that.
    02-28-12 07:32 AM
    Meh. The concept is cool..but the real life application for consumers isn't there. Give me something for everday use..not for business presentations. If you really are trying to break into the consumer market RIM..start working on getting everday applications out there..
    02-28-12 08:01 AM
    this is great. but perhaps they use the "next" playbook for the show? without NFS and DLNA, I think it is impossible to do that.

NFS? as in Need for Speed?
    02-28-12 08:03 AM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD