I'll watch the videos from my playbook once 2.0 is installed and the device is done rebooting. I can't wait to get some games on it and to see the vids!
    02-27-12 02:39 PM
    In this video at :20

Attendee: Are they connected by NFC?
    TAT: No, they are connected by regular Wi-Fi. The locations are determined by a camera in the ceiling.
    Aiya, that was NOT the answer I was hoping for...
    We don't need another Wii Sensor Bar, PS Eye, XBOX Kinect....I was watching the video on my Bold 9900 at work so I had to turn down the volume. Thanks for the script.
    mithrazor likes this.
    02-27-12 03:08 PM
    Damn it Kevin!!! are you sleeping or what? put that in the front page now!
    TAT just got real, their future concept
    02-27-12 03:09 PM
    Looks great. Now enough with the demos and concepts and make this happen.
    02-27-12 03:31 PM
    Did anyone else hear the guy in the first video asking if it was "Android" & then when the RIm guy said "no it's a BlackBerry PlayBook" the guy said, it looks like an Android.....silly people.

Attendee: Are they connected by NFC?
    TAT: No, they are connected by regular Wi-Fi. The locations are determined by a camera in the ceiling.
    I'm ok with with that. I can see why they would need the camera for their current PlayBook Hardware. However the BBX phones & probably future PlayBooks will have have the needed Hardware...BBOS7 Phones already know where each other are, so the hardware already exists, & now RIM has shown us the software...Can't wait to see them together in BBX phones
    02-27-12 03:34 PM
    Quick question. Is this done with an overhead camera? I think I heard something of it.

EDIT I read page two. Never mind.

I guess this is cool.. Just the camera on the ceiling is.. Not something I'd like.. but still pretty awesome.
    02-27-12 04:05 PM
    anyone has any insights to WPAN? I found this online and perhaps this could be a possible way to implement this concept in a more practical way (without a camera on the ceiling)?

Personal area network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IEEE 802.15 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_positioning_system
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 02-27-12 at 04:52 PM.
    02-27-12 04:47 PM
    BBOS7 Phones already know where each other are, so the hardware already exists, & now RIM has shown us the software...Can't wait to see them together in BBX phones
    What hardware? And are you talking about Wikitude?
    02-27-12 04:53 PM
    Cool! Stuff we will never ever see
    02-27-12 05:01 PM
    @san4berry Yes, we will see this soon.
    02-27-12 05:05 PM
    What a **** tease! Every demo TAT does showcases how awesome the Playbook should be! So far I see sub-par design and horrid adobe air applications.

Come on, CASCADE AWAY!
    02-27-12 05:23 PM
    Now I'm disapointed after learning about the camera in the ceiling, I was hoping that this file transfer would be either via BlueTooth or WiFi. To bad, can't see basic consumers using this....nor a company buying a camera and sticking it in their boardroom.
    02-27-12 05:37 PM
    Omg for a business a camera in the ceiling is nothing. For home use its not a problem either as we are already used to the idea of sensors like on the Wii and xbox.
    Who knows if by BB10 this will be built into the phones.
    02-27-12 06:07 PM
    A camera in the ceiling is a 'problem'...not cool.

But the concept is cool
    02-27-12 06:20 PM
    To bad, can't see basic consumers using this....nor a company buying a camera and sticking it in their boardroom.
    Much cheaper than buying a $8,000 Microsoft Surface table.
    02-27-12 06:33 PM
    A camera in the ceiling is a 'problem'...not cool.

But the concept is cool
    That's sort of what I'm saying, businesses don't want extra costly peripherals for just one task for just one product. Also, home consumers wouldn't be sitting in circles exchanging files under a camera. I hope that it becomes like the "bump" type of idea where persons can meet anywhere and share the info.

Not being a negative nelly on this, but using a camera would restrict portability..if that makes sense.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk
    02-27-12 06:35 PM
    iPods can do this a long time ago. I can't remember the name of the app, since it was in 2008 when I used it. It was the exact same experience as this.

Nothing news here, keep moving.
    02-27-12 06:43 PM
    iPods can do this a long time ago. I can't remember the name of the app, since it was in 2008 when I used it. It was the exact same experience as this.

Nothing news here, keep moving.
    It is called Bump, but only sends your email address or phone number to the other iphone.
    02-27-12 06:47 PM
    awesoem stuff and while not practical its does make customers interesting in the product when they see this. Just having people interested in the Playbook and asking about it is a good step up for RIM.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    02-27-12 06:54 PM
    Omg for a business a camera in the ceiling is nothing. For home use its not a problem either as we are already used to the idea of sensors like on the Wii and xbox.
    Who knows if by BB10 this will be built into the phones.
    the playbooks are connected via WiFi and the communication is happening via Wifi, only their movement and position is traced via a camera..still one should be able to achieve a lot of that shown without a camera..
    02-27-12 07:03 PM
    It is called Bump, but only sends your email address or phone number to the other iphone.
    No no, I really used it and it wasn't a jailbreak tweak or anything. It was a real app downloaded from the App Store. God, I can't remember the name.
    02-27-12 07:03 PM
    No no, I really used it and it wasn't a jailbreak tweak or anything. It was a real app downloaded from the App Store. God, I can't remember the name.
    Bump is a real app --- available in the App Store.

IPhone -Bump App: Exchanging Contact Info on the iPhone, One Pow at a Time
    02-27-12 07:15 PM

Lol, sorry, I should have said an app that enables you to transfer pictures and other files by 'throwing' them into the direction of the other iDevice.

EDIT: found it. It's called Mover+: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mover...mt=8&at=10l3Vy

Last edited by Ibn la Ahad; 02-27-12 at 07:22 PM.
    02-27-12 07:17 PM
    That's sort of what I'm saying, businesses don't want extra costly peripherals for just one task for just one product. Also, home consumers wouldn't be sitting in circles exchanging files under a camera. I hope that it becomes like the "bump" type of idea where persons can meet anywhere and share the info.

Not being a negative nelly on this, but using a camera would restrict portability..if that makes sense.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk

I see your point. If a business/school decides to implement playbooks and the camera is easy to setup then I see it as being quite useful (and wickedly cool).

Cameras are not expensive and if its an easy setup you could put one in meeting rooms, conference rooms, studios etc.
    02-27-12 07:18 PM

But TAT makes it much cooler and fun
    02-27-12 07:21 PM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD