Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking and doing research here for a few days. First off I must say this is an awesome website with every piece of information about blackberries imaginable.

I'm in the process of upgrading phones. I got an original IPhone from a friend of mine after he dropped it and cracked the screen. I immediately fell in love with it (upgrading from an old palm treo 650) The phone was working 100% when I got it from him, but after 6 months of use its starting to show.

I'm up for an upgrade with ATT. I don't currently have a data plan with my IPhone (Shh.. Dont tell ATT) and have been using wifi. I've decided I want to look into getting a Blackberry. I'm a college student and have become dependent on my phone for email, facebook, portable internet, calendar, things like that. I do plan to get the data plan with my new phone.

I've played with blackberry's my friends have and love the feel of them. I also really enjoy having the ipod part of of the Iphone with me. Looking at ATT's website I can get the curve and Iphone for practically the same price (refurb). I'm kinda a tech junkie so I'm not sure if I would be happy with the curve or wish I had got the Bold.

I'm looking for some opinions on which path to take. I love the ipod part of the IPhone, and the wide variety of apps, but I'm definitely not a fan of the virtual keyboard. I noticed after I got the IPhone my texting has drastically reduced. I know the 3.0 firmware comes out this summer for the Iphone adding all the missing features, but don't know if its worth the wait. If I go blackberry do get the curve or splurge for the Bold. Is the bold worth the extra money? and if Curve, 8310 with GPS or 8320 with Wifi?

I"m definitely leaning towards the Berry, anything with a following this big must be good right? lol.

I know the IPhone vs Blackberry question has been asked quite a few times, and your all probably tired of answering it but nothing i've read so far has made me decide exactly which phone to get. I'm very interesting in moving to a Blackberry since i've never owned one just cant decide if I would be happy with it or which one to get.

I'm asking this question here because it seems to be one the most fair website I've seen when it comes to Blackberry vs IPhone debates. Most websites are either very "Pro" one way or the other.

Sorry for the Long Post, alot to say, lol

Thanks in advance for your help
    Last edited by pcwiz13; 03-24-09 at 06:52 PM.
    03-24-09 06:46 PM
    Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking and doing research here for a few days. First off I must say this is an awesome website with every piece of information about blackberries imaginable.

I'm in the process of upgrading phones. I got an original IPhone from a friend of mine after he dropped it and cracked the screen. I immediately fell in love with it (upgrading from an old palm treo 650) The phone was working 100% when I got it from him, but after 6 months of use its starting to show.

I'm up for an upgrade with ATT. I don't currently have a data plan with my IPhone (Shh.. Dont tell ATT) and have been using wifi. I've decided I want to look into getting a Blackberry. I'm a college student and have become dependent on my phone for email, facebook, portable internet, calendar, things like that. I do plan to get the data plan with my new phone.

I've played with blackberry's my friends have and love the feel of them. I also really enjoy having the ipod part of of the Iphone with me. Looking at ATT's website I can get the curve and Iphone for practically the same price (refurb). I'm kinda a tech junkie so I'm not sure if I would be happy with the curve or wish I had got the Bold.

I'm looking for some opinions on which path to take. I love the ipod part of the IPhone, and the wide variety of apps, but I'm definitely not a fan of the virtual keyboard. I noticed after I got the IPhone my texting has drastically reduced. I know the 3.0 firmware comes out this summer for the Iphone adding all the missing features, but don't know if its worth the wait. If I go blackberry do get the curve or splurge for the Bold. Is the bold worth the extra money? and if Curve, 8310 with GPS or 8320 with Wifi?

I"m definitely leaning towards the Berry, anything with a following this big must be good right? lol.

I know the IPhone vs Blackberry question has been asked quite a few times, and your all probably tired of answering it but nothing i've read so far has made me decide exactly which phone to get. I'm very interesting in moving to a Blackberry since i've never owned one just cant decide if I would be happy with it or which one to get.

I'm asking this question here because it seems to be one the most fair website I've seen when it comes to Blackberry vs IPhone debates. Most websites are either very "Pro" one way or the other.

Sorry for the Long Post, alot to say, lol

Thanks in advance for your help

I am a current BB Curve 8210 holder myself and I do like the phone although the speakerphone people tend to have problems hearing me even when its turned up all the way (pretty much my main complaint). The phone is great but is really starting to show its age and I just bought it 4 months ago. It is already a what 2 year old phone now? If I were you I would definitally splurge on the Bold (my mistake) and for roughly the same deal as I could have got the Curve its hard to beat. I played with my buddies iPhone and know what you mean that little sucker is king of touch screens and I haven't found any other touch screen as smooth as Apples works. Perhaps its because they jumped in that market quite early but the new 3.0 firmware and possible talk of a third generation iPhone coming in June is making me question my BB loyalty myself. I still have until Feb 2010 before I can upgrade so I guess I will have enough time to find out how well the new iPhone is.

But anywho as far as WiFi vs GPS it all depends. I don't need GPS on my phone and its complete crap compared to a dash board GPS which phones will never match. So for me WiFi would be my choice. Not to mention with AT&T unless you can afford all the payments and features the bill will run you quite high if you use GPS more then 3 times a month and or pay the $10 for unlimited on top of BB's near forced $50 plan for AT&T if you want unlimited data and messanging which is ABSURD *cough* AT&T *cough*.

I would go for the phones with Wifi and GPS not included.

I would not recommend the Curve anymore since this is a critical time when many new BB's are going to be released across the board and the Curve will be replaced soon by its successor and the Bold is definitally a no brainer as I mention if you can afford one.

BB's are an expensive treat and price always has to be of consideration as 3 months with the internet plan with AT&T and all the bells and whistles will equal the cost of the phones MSRP.
    03-24-09 07:06 PM
    Go with the Bold man...
    03-24-09 07:07 PM
    BOLD....I use one.....matured from my curve about 2 months ago.....NEVER looked back!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 07:35 PM
    Wow this site just doesn't quit amazing me, lol. Already getting answer 20min after posting.

Thank for the help guys, I had a feeling that would be the response I got. I like the look of the Bold was just having a hard time justifying spending the extra money on it.

One more question, I get a 15% discount through my school on phones and service. Does that come off the final price for the phone? like after mail in rebates and all or before?

I'm still open to suggestions on phones if anyone else has opinions.
    03-24-09 07:42 PM
    If you think you'll miss the Apps, don't go Berry. And I would get the Bold. A much sleeker looking phone.
    03-24-09 08:06 PM
    BlackBerry is an addiction, and you'll see soon enough.

The physical keyboard is nice to have. You wont be limited by the iphones memory with a BB, you can put in memory cards. BB doesnt have as many apps as iphone (yet), but that could all change with the new BB App World coming soon.

Get your hands on an 8900 (unlocked if you stick w/ ATT) to get wifi & gps.
    03-24-09 08:12 PM
    If your worried about cost. I would suggest going to T-Mobile and getting the 8900. 39.99$ a month for 600 any time minutes with unlimited nights and weekends then 34.99$ a month for unlimited data, text, sms, IM's, GPS, and every thing else you can do with the phone. T-Mobile doesnt lock down any thing on the phone like ATT and VZW does just to get more money from you. Also with t-mobile you can use the phone over wifi connection. AKA place calls in an area you dont have cell service but have access to wifi.
    03-24-09 08:17 PM
    If you switch over to Blackberry get a Bold. I was once a iPhone addict myself until it got stolen. I went with the Storm instead on the Bold because of Verizon, with the new Niagara coming hopefully with Verizon I will be switching to it. Currently I have a Storm and a iPod touch as my music player because I do miss the apps. The way I see it is the iPhone is just a toy that's exactly why I went with a Blackberry and a iPod touch. The iPhone is only good because of the apps made for it while the people itself(community) make the Blackberry better. Trust me I've been on a few of iPhone blogs and forums and none neats the Crackberry community.
    03-24-09 08:22 PM
    BlackBerry is an addiction, and you'll see soon enough.

The physical keyboard is nice to have. You wont be limited by the iphones memory with a BB, you can put in memory cards. BB doesnt have as many apps as iphone (yet), but that could all change with the new BB App World coming soon.

Get your hands on an 8900 (unlocked if you stick w/ ATT) to get wifi & gps.
    I did love my iPhone but after almost a year, I got tired of not having a physical keyboard. I found myself calling most of the times because I hate txting on it. Now I'm using a Bold and I love it. I missed safari on the iPhone though.
    03-24-09 10:00 PM
    storm all the way, never looking back. the best of the best.
    03-24-09 10:16 PM
    Thanks for the info!

I realized last night that I can just keep my IPhone and use it as an Ipod Touch, don't know why I didn't think about that before. Best of Both worlds, lol.

From what you all have said it looks like the Bold is the way to go, looks like I'm off to the ATT store.

Thanks!
    03-25-09 12:16 PM
    Thanks for the info!

I realized last night that I can just keep my IPhone and use it as an Ipod Touch, don't know why I didn't think about that before. Best of Both worlds, lol.

From what you all have said it looks like the Bold is the way to go, looks like I'm off to the ATT store.

Thanks!
    If I wasn't in my contract with verizon I would get a bold and go atnt for sure!

03-25-09 01:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD