Oh foreverup, I was thinking about your other post in another thread (not remembering which) where are seeking a refund from RIM or where you bought it.

In a way you are making it sound like the playbook is more useless than any other wifi tab since the bridge doesn't work or was it that you wouldn't have bought any other wifi tab at all and the only reason you did was because of the bridge?

@Daps I still don't understand why carriers are even selling a wifi tab if they want to make their piece of pie off of it they should only be selling 3g or 4g ones.
    Carriers rather sell you 3G/4G models so they can lock you into contracts but they also see selling the wifi models as profit makers also. They don't make any money off selling you the tablet but they make their money off the services. If you buy a tablet from them they have the opportunity to sell you a mifi device or a phone and adding a tethering service to support your tablet. That's all profit.
    howarmat likes this.
    07-02-11 09:57 PM
    Well hopefully tether comes out with their app for it soon and I'd buy somewhere else just so they don't have it on record that I own one. If other carriers follow suit.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 07-02-11 at 10:05 PM. Reason: add other carriers as I'm not on att
    07-02-11 10:04 PM
    I'm sure Tether will release an app or people will continue to use the work around that they are using now
    07-02-11 10:35 PM
    Ok i am going to try this one more time, maybe someone will hear me this time. ATT can not charge you for using the bridge browser, nor are they going to. Before anyone jumps on my back and say "yes they can, and they said the will, let me point out a couple things.

They had the software for two+ months and all they were able to do is give you what ever one already had in the software. If they want you to pay all they had to do was come up with a way to leave the browser out of the download until you added the tethering option on your account. This is what they did with both of their 4g devices, not allow them to connect to the hsdpa service until they added the higher data pricing for those devices (this is also why there is a $10 premium data cost on all of sprints new customers and for those who upgrade, and those who bought the xoom at launch had to have a data plan activated just to have wifi).

If you try and tether you phone to your PB and do not have that feature on your account it will tell you that you need to add this before it will work, has anyone seen this same warning when using the bridge browser, answer NO.

If you walk into a Sprint store to buy any tablet (wifi) they tell you that you have to have a tether plan add to your account, this is what att is saying, not what many think which is that the only way to use the bridge browser is to add a tether plan.

For all of those who have been using their playbooks with the work around and has not had a problem what would be the difference to go and download the software from app world now. Really anyone here thinks that RIM tells the carrier how many people has downloaded that software, **** NO. So how in the **** would they know if you were using the bridge browser. I have no clue what all of you have been smoking but it must be the best **** on earth. I have been using tethers app for over a year and i have not been told that i need to add a tether plan from ATT, but now all of a sudden i have because of the bridge browser, come on people stop open your eyes for a sec and you will see that everything is not that damn simple.

If Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, and all of the other carriers in the world that released the software from jump did not find a way to charge for it when they were testing it months and months ago how is it that ATT did? Don't worry i will answer that as well, They did not and never will. If anyone that read this thinks i'm wrong on anything i have said do me one favor before putting you flame throwers on, go to your bridge software open the options menu click on the device properties and have a look at the enabled services. If ATT wanted you to pay all they had to do was change the properties and leave out the browser until you added a tether plan and then allowed you to download an update for the software to reflect the browser. Or better yet a simple phone call to CS would have answered all of your questions.
    07-02-11 11:47 PM
    Wow in that case why the **** would anyone buy a wifi tab you can get anywhere else from a carrier? Suckers born everyday.
    07-03-11 12:12 AM
    Because some carriers may be willing to subsidize the cost of the tablet if you also buy a mifi device and sign a two year contract.
    07-03-11 12:20 AM
    Ah gotcha, I'd rather buy it somewhere else and use the work arounds, cheaper in the long run lol.
    07-03-11 12:22 AM
    You could buy it from AT&T. It's a wifi only device. They can't force you into buying a service.

I wouldn't buy from a carrier because I simply don't go in there store. I'm probably going to buy from bestbuy or walmart, maybe amazon just to skip out on the sales tax although I like being able to open the box and if there is a problem going back to the store for one that works rather than doing a RMA
    07-03-11 12:30 AM
    True but if you buy from them then they know you own one and will start charging if your use goes up?

I'm not buying from any carrier either or bestbuy as I couldn't believe my experience there yesterday which I posted in the thread about bestbuy all ready. Pathetic and RIM needs to get out to these places and train or something.
    07-03-11 12:34 AM
    Oh foreverup, I was thinking about your other post in another thread (not remembering which) where are seeking a refund from RIM or where you bought it.

In a way you are making it sound like the playbook is more useless than any other wifi tab since the bridge doesn't work or was it that you wouldn't have bought any other wifi tab at all and the only reason you did was because of the bridge?

@Daps I still don't understand why carriers are even selling a wifi tab if they want to make their piece of pie off of it they should only be selling 3g or 4g ones.
    you are right I called best buy for a refund, I bought the playbook the first day it was released. The biggest selling point to me was the bridge feature, like every att customer I found out the bridge app would not be supported by att about an hour after i picked it up. Again every statement from RIM said no worries it will be free. Now RIM is going back on that promise. Call me naive for believing a company that I have bought phones from the last 6 years now. But no more. If the bridge browser is removed yes the playbook is incomplete compared to every wifi only tablet out there. **** it is incomplete compared to the touchpad because it has the apps that everyone wants and it is not even released yet.

Again I will state before I was pissed at att and defended rim but now they are both horrible. Also, if you are not pissed at RIM please look at that it was not att that released the press statement it was RIM. That truly means that they agreed with ATT that it should be charged. Again contrary to what their official statement has been.

Again att customers that bought the playbook on good faith and were screwed.
    07-03-11 12:35 AM
    True but if you buy from them then they know you own one and will start charging if your use goes up?

I'm not buying from any carrier either or bestbuy as I couldn't believe my experience there yesterday which I posted in the thread about bestbuy all ready. Pathetic and RIM needs to get out to these places and train or something.
    PB isn't tied to your account with AT&T just because you bought it there, for all they know it can be a gift for someone but buy it from were you please. A BB user shouldn't buy it from AT&T just for the fact they don't want the bridge to be free.
    07-03-11 12:42 AM
    you are right I called best buy for a refund, I bought the playbook the first day it was released. The biggest selling point to me was the bridge feature, like every att customer I found out the bridge app would not be supported by att about an hour after i picked it up. Again every statement from RIM said no worries it will be free. Now RIM is going back on that promise. Call me naive for believing a company that I have bought phones from the last 6 years now. But no more. If the bridge browser is removed yes the playbook is incomplete compared to every wifi only tablet out there. **** it is incomplete compared to the touchpad because it has the apps that everyone wants and it is not even released yet.

Again I will state before I was pissed at att and defended rim but now they are both horrible. Also, if you are not pissed at RIM please look at that it was not att that released the press statement it was RIM. That truly means that they agreed with ATT that it should be charged. Again contrary to what their official statement has been.

I understand you but I think you've also stated that the playbook is great and now it sounds like you're saying it's a pos. I agree the statement that it will be free using your existing data plan is pretty cut and dry but does that make or break the playbook? I mean once completed by RIM, if ever, isn't it still going to be a pretty damn good wifi tab if devs start jumping onboard?
    07-03-11 12:43 AM
    PB isn't tied to your account with AT&T just because you bought it there, for all they know it can be a gift for someone but buy it from were you please. A BB user shouldn't buy it from AT&T just for the fact they don't want the bridge to be free.
    Bah I'm not on AT&T anyway, right now I'd say a bb user should not renew their contract with them and move to another when it's time unless of course all the other carriers follow suit.
    07-03-11 12:46 AM

Look i understand your issue completely, but have you been charged for the use of the work around which is the exact same software that is sitting in app world right now, no you are not. But you are pointing fingers at the wrong people ATT as a company can make whatever decisions on the pricing of their services. But that does not mean that RIM lied. And if you think that anyone is giving you your money back for a device you have had for over two months you are kidding your self. You have not been charged for the use of the bridge browser nor will you ever be point blank period. Stop looking for an escape goat and be happy cause its still what RIM said it was going to be FREE.
    07-03-11 12:47 AM
    Look i understand your issue completely, but have you been charged for the use of the work around which is the exact same software that is sitting in app world right now, no you are not. But you are pointing fingers at the wrong people ATT as a company can make whatever decisions on the pricing of their services. But that does not mean that RIM lied. And if you think that anyone is giving you your money back for a device you have had for over two months you are kidding your self. You have not been charged for the use of the bridge browser nor will you ever be point blank period. Stop looking for an escape goat and be happy cause its still what RIM said it was going to be FREE.
    They did lie, more then once.

Below is a video link with Jim talking about this at around 2:15:

Tim
    07-03-11 02:12 AM
    and i still encourage all bb users to bail from that crapweasel carrier.

the torch isnt worth it.

breaking your contract is cheaper than paying $480 for two years of tethering.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

The torch is worth it, when you aren't with a crap carrier. I'm with Sasktel, with the torch and my unlimited data plan covers tethering charges. I would be outraged if they tried charging for it, especially with the bridged browser. It just doesn't make much sense to me.
    07-03-11 03:49 AM
    as soon as a extra charge shows up on my at&t bill im heading to the store. im going to raise holly **** until they let me change my phone. if im going to be charged for tether give me a htc inspire or samsung infuse so i can use the tether on 4 devices at once. not just one device, the only reason i havent pressed the matter any more is that the bridge was free.
    on the more level headed less torch and pitch fork side, dont update to the next bridge. they will have added a code to identify it as the bridge, its a theory and until further notice the one im sticking by. i will stick with my side loaded one until i see a $20 charge on my bill.
    07-03-11 07:02 AM
    dont update to the next bridge. they will have added a code to identify it as the bridge, its a theory and until further notice the one im sticking by. i will stick with my side loaded one until i see a $20 charge on my bill.
    Could ATT force an an update that could "break" the free bridge application? Been wondering about that...
    07-03-11 09:21 AM
    They did lie, more then once.

Below is a video link with Jim talking about this at around 2:15:

Tim
    So, it's a lie because ONE carrier decided to be the odd man out? That is not a lie. A lie requires the intent of deception. The bridge app as designed when Jim made the statement does allow you use your current data plan. The proof is in the very fact that many of you can in fact still use the bridge browser with the original software regardless of what AT&T said. Sometimes the best of intentions and plans get a monkey wrench thrown in, it doesn't mean you were lied to.
    07-03-11 10:02 AM
    I understand you but I think you've also stated that the playbook is great and now it sounds like you're saying it's a pos. I agree the statement that it will be free using your existing data plan is pretty cut and dry but does that make or break the playbook? I mean once completed by RIM, if ever, isn't it still going to be a pretty damn good wifi tab if devs start jumping onboard?
    I'm not saying it is a pos now, but one of the selling points made by everyone was the playbook was more portable than other tablets. I for one was excited for the bridge browser and companies the were moving away from apps with html 5 websites (even posted a thread about). Now, for att customers if you do want to use the playbook to it fullest experience users will now need apps that RIM doesn't have. And since RIM has yet to deliver on the NDK and seems unable to get companies to develop for the playbook I will have to say I'm starting to lose hope.
    07-03-11 03:21 PM
    I'm not saying it is a pos now, but one of the selling points made by everyone was the playbook was more portable than other tablets. I for one was excited for the bridge browser and companies the were moving away from apps with html 5 websites (even posted a thread about). Now, for att customers if you do want to use the playbook to it fullest experience users will now need apps that RIM doesn't have. And since RIM has yet to deliver on the NDK and seems unable to get companies to develop for the playbook I will have to say I'm starting to lose hope.
    Cool and thanks, I having trouble reading whether you still liked it or were thinking it sucks now.
    07-03-11 03:24 PM
    Cool and thanks, I having trouble reading whether you still liked it or were thinking it sucks now.
    No problem I'll admit I got pretty pissed when the news was released regarding ATT charging for it.

After calming down I will say if another ATT customer asked me before I would have easily recommended the playbook, now I don't know if I would.
    07-03-11 03:46 PM
    Makes me wonder how much customer friendly AT&t really is, if not for the "iphone" where would they be......things that make you go "hummmmm"
    you are right. their goal is dominance and monopoly. They were split up before and history just repeats. They bought up BellSouth, Cingular, etc. Etc. So you can say, where would they be without an exclusive carrier phone, such as iphone, and then bb torch. Now they will buy t-mobile and finally wreck GSM, and become the monopoly they are eager to be to achieve the goal of controliing all US GSM customers. They do not listen to customers. Would not need to then. They have a tried to wreck RIM as well with their procedures. So in a few years when there is no BB, high cost phone service with no customer service, and ATT is the only carrier you can choose, it will make you go "hummmmm." :mad
    07-03-11 03:55 PM
    No problem I'll admit I got pretty pissed when the news was released regarding ATT charging for it.

After calming down I will say if another ATT customer asked me before I would have easily recommended the playbook, now I don't know if I would.
    Hopefully you'd have a hard time recommending AT&T to a non-AT&T customer too.
    07-03-11 03:56 PM
    Hopefully you'd have a hard time recommending AT&T to a non-AT&T customer too.
    heck yes, ATT blows
    07-03-11 05:28 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD