Its not that hard my friend...I don't find it easier using the bold...*shrugs*

since i was a young tyke-u
    tried to moon walk like michael
    i understood the universal cycles
    positive negative neutral

I find my bold easier than my iPhone for taking 1 handed pictures on the fly, but if I'm setting up the picture the iPhone is just as easy as the Bold to take the picture.
    And it it well known the iPhone4S camera gives nicer pictures than the Bold so I very much have been using the iPhone far more than the Bold for that part, it still isn't as easy as the Bold, but the difference is hardly there at all
    06-24-12 07:17 AM
    I find my bold easier than my iPhone for taking 1 handed pictures on the fly, but if I'm setting up the picture the iPhone is just as easy as the Bold to take the picture.
    And it well known the iPhone4S camera gives nicer pictures than the Bold so I very much have been using the iPhone far more than the Bold for that part, it still isn't as easy as the Bold, but the difference is hardly there at all
    Otos
    I've spent a weekend taking pictures side by side with an iphone 4s and to be honest it's 50/50. Some pictures turn up better with the iphone, some better with the 9900, especially moving shots and dusk shots.

One thing us for sure, the 9900 gives you its best from first shot, iphone might require a few tryes to get it right.
    06-24-12 07:27 AM
    Otos
    I've spent a weekend taking pictures side by side with an iphone 4s and to be honest it's 50/50. Some pictures turn up better with the iphone, some better with the 9900, especially moving shots and dusk shots.

One thing us for sure, the 9900 gives you its best from first shot, iphone might require a few tryes to get it right.
    For shots of the kids where speed is most important the 9900 wins over the iPhone4S, I can take 3 shots with the 9900 for every 2 shots with the iPhone4S or 9790

but the quality of photos from the iPhone4S both devices on high settings have better depth on the iPhone, especially for blowing up
    06-24-12 07:39 AM
    For shots of the kids where speed is most important the 9900 wins over the iPhone4S, I can take 3 shots with the 9900 for every 2 shots with the iPhone4S or 9790

but the quality of photos from the iPhone4S both devices on high settings have better depth on the iPhone, especially for blowing up
    I'll post some examples later, a sunset for example, the 9900 turned out better. I'm on gprs now
    06-24-12 07:41 AM
    So this old dog can only learn some new tricks?

Yup.

And I do find it easier to take pictures using portrait mode. Less faffing. "Faffing" is one of those UK words that I wish would catch on in the US. Very handy. It could be part of a BB ad campaign.

"Be Bold. Faff less."
    06-24-12 08:07 AM

Absolutely so for me too.
    Wish the whole process would not take as long.
    06-24-12 08:13 AM
    At a real keyboard, the only unemployed digit is my left thumb, just the way Miss Gagnon, my 9th grade typing teacher, insisted. And after the first few weeks, we spent the rest of the term with a sheet of note paper taped to the typewriter, covering our hands and the keyboard, so we couldn't see anything even if we peeked. So in that sense I'm a touch typist on any qwerty device, whether the keyboard is hard or virtual.

This is also what makes me a touch Swypist. I don't have to look at the virtual keyboard at all to Swype words. The locations of those letters are branded into my brain, so I can zoom my finger around pretty recklessly and still get it right.

When I type on my BB, with my bank of auto-text abbreviations, I'm looking at the text on the screen, never at my thumbs. The same is true when I Swype in Android.

I have big hands, and of course big thumbs. But I can handle the BB keyboard pretty nimbly. The transition from the luxurious keyboard of the SideKick LX to the BB 8320 took a few days, until I learned to find the rounded surface of the BB keys with the specific spot on my thumb, then all was well. Thumb-typing on a virtual keyboard hasn't gone so well for me, since there's no place on the glass for my thumb to "find" in a tactile way. Haptic feedback after I press a letter is no good; I want feedback just before I press. This absence of feedback causes my thumbs to quiver a bit when typing on a virtual keyboard, in a way that never happens on the BB hard keyboard. Even after several months using the HTC Radar, I couldn't thumb-type reliably on it. I had to use just my index finger, which is indeed tedious.

This is why Swype was such a game-changer for me. I still have to hold the device in my left hand and "type" with one finger, but the "typing" involves a continuous fluid motion, with very little pecking.

There is one Android keyboard called "TouchPal", which I used for a while. It's similar to Swype, and used to be more accurate, but Swype has now overtaken it, I believe. But TouchPal has another interesting feature: To get the special symbols associated with various letters, you swipe up on those letters. No shift/alt key needed. It's a tiny detail, but an interesting innovation in terms of keeping the flow of text entry going.

Getting text into the device is one of the fundamental human-machine interactions. The strength of the all-screen device is that it has the power to offer the user more than a single way to do this interaction. Android has taken advantage of this by allowing alternate input methods as apps. WP has not; it's their stock keyboard or the highway. I'm not sure about iPhone.

In my opinion, RIM should take a hint from Android on this point. The more options users have for doing text entry, the less reason they have to insist on a physical keyboard.
    I don't tend to look at my device at all when typing, both my computer nor my phones, I am usually typing while my attention is focused elsewhere, or the device is hidden from view like under a tablet, this is my issue with the tablets, the iPad is a bit small for me to lay it down and start typing on, but I can manage, when I do that without paying attention to the device by paragraph 3 I pretty much need to edit the entire document the number of incorrectly spelled words or wrong substitutions as well as the added spaces and returns because the meat of my hand brushed the wrong key as I was typing.
    I phone isn't as bad for accuracy because I don't hit the wrong keys AS much, but still requires extensive editing, and unfortunately the editing is just to difficult to do on the device without the trackpad/mouse and a cursor

equate it to a student taking notes off of a blackboard, they should be focused on the board while taking the notes, then when the class is finished they should be able to edit those notes to put them in the right places for them, and make sure nothing too outlandish has been written out, on the BlackBerry or a device with a physical keyboard the touch typing is more accurate as software isn't dictating what you are typing, you are, software is correcting aer to are and dont to don't but isn't changing miss spelling of paradigm "paridigm" to "parigsigm" as my wonderful iOS devices do upon pressing space bar.

Software Keyboard are going to get better, and WILL be the dominating keyboard choice I'm sure, but I still do not think the death of the physical keyboard on smartphones is as close as many all touch users feel it is.
    It is great some people have been able to adapt, I've been trying but productivity is so greatly reduced I wouldn't have time to sleep if my only options where iPhone/iPad for work technology
    06-24-12 08:26 AM
    Yup.

And I do find it easier to take pictures using portrait mode. Less faffing. "Faffing" is one of those UK words that I wish would catch on in the US. Very handy. It could be part of a BB ad campaign.

"Be Bold. Faff less."
    Except for that might be misunderstood as "Be Bold. Fap less." And that would totally turn the entire male population off bb forever!
    06-24-12 10:45 AM
    Side by side, both zoomed in a bit, iphone 4s and bold 9900, which one do you think was taken with which phone?
    06-24-12 10:53 AM
    Another set. of photos:
    06-24-12 11:05 AM
    hard to say, neither is visible at max resolution, so both seem very similar, neither is in printable quality
    06-24-12 11:30 AM
    hard to say, neither is visible at max resolution, so both seem very similar, neither is in printable quality
    Well, both were in quite challenging conditions, I'll pin you the full pics if you want to have a better look.

Point is, the iphone 4s doesn't always take better pictures.
    06-24-12 11:38 AM
    :P I'm not really that concerned, I have both (well all 3) iPhone4S and BlackBerry and if I am taking the time to pose the picture the iPhone4S produces the better images, (also much larger image files) than my 9900 or 9790

Apple is using a quality image sensor, and more megapixels which for printing does help
    06-24-12 11:41 AM
    ...Realistically, (using our heads and not hearts) the keyboard is dying a quick death and the fact that for BB10 RIM (of all people) is going all touch first and keyboard (later) is testament to that...
    RIM going all touch first and keyboard (later) is not a testament to the popularity of touch over physical keyboards.
    The all touch screen device was easier to design (faster to get to market) period.
    06-24-12 11:56 AM
    RIM going all touch first and keyboard (later) is not a testament to the popularity of touch over physical keyboards.
    The all touch screen device was easier to design (faster to get to market) period.
    Tim Neil ‏ @brcewane of RIM basically said similar
    it is much easier to develop for a single input method than with multiple like a physical keyboard AND the softkeyboard, and how the physical keyboard can interact since you can make short cuts and such from the physical for launching things.
    06-24-12 12:00 PM
    It seems to me that we can get very efficient with anything if we practice long enough. I was not willing to spend the time figuring out swype, but see that maybe I need to revisit it and spend some time unlearning, and learning this method. As it is, I have the option, and so fall back to the bb for texting, and the atrix for content...maybe soon I will be back to one device that does both well, at least in my mind.
    06-24-12 12:50 PM
    I'm just curious what's every ones thoughts are on BB10 being released first with an all touch screen phone, especially those that are so dependent on physical keyboards. Well you try RIM's new touch screen offering? Even though you hate, or, really dislike current all touch offerings?

And, if too many BB users opt to wait for the physical keyboard version of BB10, how bad do you think that will hurt RIM's chances of a come back, if you will?
    06-24-12 06:15 PM
    I'm just curious what's every ones thoughts are on BB10 being released first with an all touch screen phone, especially those that are so dependent on physical keyboards. Well you try RIM's new touch screen offering? Even though you hate, or, really dislike current all touch offerings?

And, if too many BB users opt to wait for the physical keyboard version of BB10, how bad do you think that will hurt RIM's chances of a come back, if you will?
    I'll be getting what ever RIM gives me after my devAlpha, from my understanding now it actually WONT be the same as the first BB10 device, so I wont be getting the first official BB10 device, but I WILL be getting the first BB10 physical qwerty device,

unless RIM gets bought out, they have enough money to survive until they release the first QWERTY device, which I suspect will only be a 2-3 months after the first BB10 device anyway.

Launching an All touchscreen device was the best move RIM could do, it has the shortest development time, easiest hardware to build, and RIM needs to be focused on the touchscreen OS, the people reviewing the device, the people in the stores selling the device will all be touchscreen users, they will compare the experience to touchscreens, RIM needs to get these people thinking BB10 is good, the qwerty people who are still qwerty people aren't going anywhere, I'm going to be holding onto BB7 as long as I have to to keep the qwerty form factor.

the all touch market is bigger, and thus a bigger chance for market share numbers
    Jake Storm likes this.
    06-24-12 06:26 PM

I bought a Torch 9850 even though I generally use my Bold. So yeah I see no reason not to pick up an all Touch BB10 phone.
    06-24-12 07:36 PM
    I will never buy an all touch device. If RIM ever went the way of Palm, I would have to find another phone with a good physical QWERTY keyboard.

So I will skip the first BB10 device and enjoy my Bold 9900 until a BB10 qwerty device comes out...
    06-24-12 08:50 PM

Well, I'd definetly try it out. Though I won't buy the first BB10 device as I won't buy the one with physical keyboard either - simply because my 9900 would still be too "new" by then.

However I think their decission of releasing an all-touch phone first is good. Many surveys are showing what people want, phones with larger displays, no buttons. So of course RIM first tries to get the broader audience. This thread originaly was about wether a physical keyboard is still needed or if it is a thing which is about to be obsolete. I guess it will be a niche-market in the future, a market RIM keeps on serving. However in terms to get the show on the road they'll need to deal with full-touch devices first. Let's face it:
    QWERTY phones aren't actually RIM major problem, the full-touch are. So this should get fixed ASAP.
    jthep likes this.
    06-25-12 12:56 PM
    Yea, I am sticking with my Bold 9900 and it is the the apex of qwerty devices so far and I am under contract until 2014.
    06-25-12 06:14 PM
    I would be content with upgrading for a shiny new 9900 every upgrade. Been rocking this phone since August and I love it more and more. I will never go back to using a full touch screen device.
    06-25-12 09:03 PM
248 ... 8910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD