I think I found the issue plaquing tinkers whom like to swap housings out their blackberrys, perticularly curve 83xx's.

(See photo below) When replacing the housing side strips, the tab on the piece with the headphone jack needs to go over the metel of the LED plate. It's tendency is to slip inbetween the metel and the circiut board, which I think is preventing the connection nessesary for the headphones, causing them to not work.
    Check that connection if you are one that has lost the use of your headphones after a housing switch.
    06-08-09 11:19 PM
    hmm..but the headset jack is already on the board, so if the plastic is in the way,what possible connection could be stopped if the side rail is in the way? Believe me, i'm not going against you here...but i am one of the users that fell victim to this unexplainable phenomenon. I've changed my housing about 30 times before my headset jack went bad, and I didnt realize how important it was until i lost it. ebooks, music, phone calls (phone calls in car via headset jack are much better than bluetooth, conserves so much more battery). I would also plug my phone into my car stereo via aux and have the sound/voice play through the speakers and it was like my own personal world, and when that headset jack gets taken from you, its like being beat up with 20 bars of soap in a laundry bag (ok i'm exaggerating). When i get home i'll make sure the connection is not being blocked, but i'm pretty sure the side rails are on TOP of the circuit board and are not in between and my headset jack is still dead as disco.
    06-09-09 05:14 PM
    Good thought... just checked mine, and to be honest I am not sure if the tab was over the metal or not before, but it definitely is now! Unfortunately it didn't make it a difference because the headphones (brand new pair) are completely useless still.
    06-09-09 06:52 PM
    You've tried a diff pair right ? Stupid question I know but we gotta knock out all possibilities.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-09 06:55 PM
    I've been looking and it seems everyone that's been having problems has an 8330.. am I right or has someone had the problem on an 8300/8310/8320?

I changed mine once already, plan to change again in a week or so.

Anyone else try this fix?
    06-10-09 02:30 AM
    i think all 83xx users are having this issue, but the majority has been 8330.
    06-10-09 03:01 PM
    maybe it has to do with using the aftermarket side rails, and the original side rails?
    06-10-09 03:37 PM
    maybe it has to do with using the aftermarket side rails, and the original side rails?
    Good thought, I still have the original rails; have removed and reinstalled the faceplate numerous times without loosing functionality of my headphones.
    06-10-09 03:45 PM
    now that i mentioned that, i think i still have the original side rails on also, and mine is dead right now
    06-10-09 03:57 PM
    actually putting it under still works, i did it on mine accidentally the first time and it still worked
    using the 8320
    06-10-09 04:03 PM
    yea, sorry OP, that is not the fix.
    06-26-09 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD