N4BB has posted an e-mail from a RIM employee answering the question as to why the 9850/9860 is to be under the Torch name.

Apparent RIM Contact Confirms 9850/9860 to be Called Torch; Cites Reasons of Unwritten Understanding « N4BB – News for BlackBerry – leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

It’s been no secret that the 9850 (Monaco) and 9860 (Monza) will likely be branded as a Torch. We first detailed rumor of this when we heard of these projects going into production. Later we revealed their spec sheet, which also carried the Torch brand, but had noted the “Franchise Name: TBD”. Now, UYBB has apparently received a response from a RIM employee regarding their inquiry as to why the 9850 and 9860 will be labeled as a Torch.

The answer discusses dropping the Storm brand (despite these devices looking like a Storm) to consolidate the BlackBerry brand and trick consumers into keeping faith that these devices will not fail (like the Storm brand). It was a logical move on RIM’s part, but in case you had any doubts why RIM was moving forward with the Torch branding, this apparent e-mail may help you understand further. Do you think they should have kept the Storm brand alive, or is adding them to the Torch family a better move?
    Hopefully this will finally put an end to all the people that keep saying the CB Mods are wrong for calling the 9850/9860 a Torch.
    07-12-11 12:47 PM
    So the torch 2 will no longer be the one with the physical keyboard but more like the storm?

So what will torch 2 be called?

I'm confused as usual!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-11 01:40 PM
    The Torch2 9810 will still be referred to as the Torch, and the 9850/9860 will be under the Torch brand as well. Look at is like this, the Evo has the original Evo, Evo Shift and Evo 3D now, the Droid lineup with Verizon has a lot of iterations, so BB will now have the Torch 9800(1st gen Torch Slider), Torch 9810(2nd gen Torch slider), and the Torch 9850/9860(1st gen Torch all touchscreen w/ virtual keyboard). There will be 2 new Torch phones that hit the market, the Torch slider and the Torch all-touch(GSM and CDMA variants)
    Gucci33 likes this.
    07-12-11 02:01 PM
    The Torch2 9810 will still be referred to as the Torch, and the 9850/9860 will be under the Torch brand as well. Look at is like this, the Evo has the original Evo, Evo Shift and Evo 3D now, the Droid lineup with Verizon has a lot of iterations, so BB will now have the Torch 9800(1st gen Torch Slider), Torch 9810(2nd gen Torch slider), and the Torch 9850/9860(1st gen Torch all touchscreen w/ virtual keyboard). There will be 2 new Torch phones that hit the market, the Torch slider and the Torch all-touch(GSM and CDMA variants)
    Thanks for that explanation

07-12-11 02:12 PM
    They should name them torch touch and torch slider
    07-12-11 02:15 PM
    They should name them torch touch and torch slider
    They still might give it something like that or another variation name to distinguish the 2, but at this point it looks confirmed that they will come out as the Torch 9810 and the Torch 9850/9860, but I wouldn't mind seeing them add the Torch Slider and Torch Touch names to them.
    07-12-11 02:24 PM
    I think they're going with torch 4g for the 9810 on AT&T if I'm not mistaken so maybe that might put a slight difference between the two besides the model numbers.
    07-12-11 10:39 PM
    I like the idea of branding the torch name. I feel the torch was a good phone as where the storm generally had a negative view in the media world. I just hope they call it the torch touch or some side name so people don't confused with the slider torch.

07-12-11 11:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD