Interesting - BB10 has them moving....

Microsoft to partner with Samsung for B2B drive
    Written by: Chris Donkin
    Posted on: 28 January 2013. Tags: HTC, Microsoft, Nokia, Samsung, Windows Phone 8

Microsoft is set to partner with Samsung as it looks to boost the presence of Windows Phone 8 (WP8) in the business market.

The software firm has already established partnerships with HTC and Nokia to help dealers and operators win larger business contracts since WP8 launched in October.
    Head of B2B marketing at Windows Phone Rikke Rasmussen told Mobile News the firm will be going into pitches with Samsung as soon as the manufacturer is ready. It claims this will be very soon following the launch of the Ativ S device earlier this month.

Rasmussen claims a number of high-profile businesses have already switched from BlackBerry to Windows Phone, including the recent deal with HML Skipton, the UKs fourth largest building society.

Rasmussen said: Business is very important to us [WP8] sits really well with SMBs. There are a lot of BlackBerry customers that are looking at other options, the full integration with Windows 8 makes sense and is cost effective for them.

Everyone will be affected by BB10, its just a question of what that effect will be. Its a big market though and there should be enough room for both of us.
    From our perspective, we will be trying to stay neutral with the manufacturers. We will be doing joint stuff with Samsung, as we do with HTC and Nokia, as soon as they are ready.

Microsoft to partner with Samsung for B2B drive | Mobile News Online
    01-28-13 03:58 PM
    isn't that the reason for the partner with nokia? doesn't microsoft want to minimize the gap between PC and mobile
    01-28-13 04:00 PM
    Nokia is just one partner, not an exclusive partner.

HTC got the "Signature flagship WP phones," and Samsung will apparently be a big enterprise partner.
    01-28-13 04:26 PM
    Wp8 phones are just like Zune in time. They will only lose money for so long before pulling the plug. Windows phone has yet to take off and don't imagine it ever will. Sure some phones have sold but it isn't even a dent in the real world.
    01-28-13 06:25 PM
    I really think that RIM needs to partner with other companies, even if the financial benefits would be minimal. Look at Android, they give their software away for free and that enabled them to attain the #1 position in mobile OS'.

My rule is that it is always better to partner with people, rather than trying to do it alone. The lone superhero looks great in the movies, but that's not how it works in real life. RIM needs to move forward with this.
    01-28-13 10:09 PM
    Interesting - BB10 has them moving....

“Everyone will be affected by BB10, it’s just a question of what that effect will be. It’s a big market though and there should be enough room for both of us.

Microsoft to partner with Samsung for B2B drive | Mobile News Online
    Enough room for two, that is a telling statement don't you think? Given that both Microsoft and RIMM have had strong inroads with business for years now, this tact maybe what will eventually make them the top two platforms, they both have a much broader vision of what will be needed in the future by businesses and user's. Android seems to me to be too fractured and Apple is too singular in it's focus on consumers.
    01-28-13 10:33 PM
    Wp8 phones are just like Zune in time. They will only lose money for so long before pulling the plug. Windows phone has yet to take off and don't imagine it ever will. Sure some phones have sold but it isn't even a dent in the real world.
    Except that Windows Phone isn't a money loser. Nokia just had a profitable quarter with WP8, as did HTC. And Microsoft has always made money on WP.
    01-28-13 10:48 PM
    I really think that RIM needs to partner with other companies, even if the financial benefits would be minimal. Look at Android, they give their software away for free and that enabled them to attain the #1 position in mobile OS'.

My rule is that it is always better to partner with people, rather than trying to do it alone. The lone superhero looks great in the movies, but that's not how it works in real life. RIM needs to move forward with this.
    The problem is that Google created the Android operating system so more people would use their services, and they can control ad space and such. Google isn't licensing their Android operating system. They're giving it out for free
    RIM can't do that, they're not in the advertising business, or the search engine business.

They could be the provider of BES, BIS, BBM, security, and such, but from the looks of BB10, they are going in the opposite direction for some of these things. E.g. New BB10 phones don't require BIS.
    01-28-13 11:02 PM
    this could work really well, especially with surface pro being able to run actual desktop apps. businesses can use WP8 and a W8 tablet and be fully integrated.
    interesting
    01-28-13 11:09 PM
    I'm using a WP8 device and MS is beyond not ready or concerned with privacy yet.

I had a huge issue a couple weeks ago at work where a co worker seen part of my txt due to the toast displaying it across the lock screen and caused a huge issue... Something so minor but a huge issue for some and isn't an option to disable.
    01-29-13 02:18 AM
    I would like to see Samsung abandon Android but I think that is unlikely. However, not many enterprises are going to adopt Android because Google is an information collector and enterprises control their information.

I would like to see Microsoft drive Apple out of the enterprise. That is VERY likely.

Microsoft is RIM's biggest problem but, for now, MS doesn't have anything close to BES10. I'm pretty sure RIM will add WP8 as a manageable device in BES when the time comes.

Remember, MS is Windows EVERYWHERE! They have little interest in managing Android, BB10 or iOS. For now, BES10 is the only enterprise management platform that manages Android, BB10 and iOS. I assume WP8 as well when enterprise customers start asking for it. I'm sure Good and others will add BB10 if it takes off but, why would an enterprise abandon BES for something greatly inferior?
    01-29-13 06:42 AM