In Canada, phones poised to challenge credit cards | Reuters

So i was reading this article earlier today. It seems NFC is being pushed harder in Canada then anywhere else, and i wonder if RIM had (or will have) anything to do with this.

From what i can understand from the article, NFC is happening. At least up here in the great white north. But they also mention several cases where it hasn't taken off, despite efforts to get the ball rolling.

Since RIM has a hard-on for NFC these days, i think this is a great opportunity for them to partner up with banks and big retailers to really showcase BB's NFC capabilities and get a dominant position in the market while its still very young.

Im not a fan of NFC technology per se. I dont trust it with all my financial information. But it can have MANY other uses as well. For example, the south korean transit pass the article talks about. Imagine the TTC (toronto's transit authority) deploying such readers on all buses and subways. The TTC can have cutbacks by allowing users of NFC enabled devices to use their phones as digital transit passes. Similarly for gas stations; swipe and drive.

We all know the potential for the technology, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be the next big thing. But since RIM is betting on it, i would expect them to play a role in whatever partnership and/or legislation is put forth in that regard.

Thoughts?
    04-25-12 04:18 PM
    I think this email I got from RIM for BlackBerry World says a lot about their role, while not saying much at all:
    BlackBerry World Press Briefing: NFC: The Bridge Between Two Worlds

NFC can be the link between the physical and virtual worlds; it transforms smartphones into smarter platforms. M-commerce has captured the public�s imagination � but use cases for NFC extend far beyond mobile payments. This session will identify some of the ways NFC is transforming smartphones into contactless devices enabling touch-and-go applications. We�ll introduce customer and partner examples, as well as identifying how NFC is driving BlackBerry back to its heartland: innovation in mobile computing
    You don't call press briefings for things your company has very little interest in. Just sayin'
    BB10FTW, Vijik and hpjrt like this.
    04-25-12 04:45 PM
    hmmm quite an interesting email you got there. I'll be looking forward to see what RIM has to offer in this regard.

I imagine deploying NFC in canada would be quite a bit easier if the country is already pushing for it. But the real challenge will be seeing how they plan to extend that push beyond canada's borders.

Playing catch up in the mobile/smartphone arena is all well and good, but to really be a game changer, you have to think outside the box. Apple took the smart phone and made it do SO much more then what it was capable of at the time. If RIM can do the same, and turn smart phones into all purpose devices, they'll have created a whole new niche market. Really hope they utilize this advantage to its maximum potential.

Thanx for the info Bla1ze
    04-25-12 09:13 PM
    The Big Three in Credit card companies (American Express, Master Card, VISA) have yet to release a blackberry app to take advantage of NFC transactions.

Right now, NFC stickers are being used. I await the time when I could use my blackberry for that.
    04-26-12 12:52 AM
    04-26-12 02:08 AM
    O2 a UK carrier has just released a NFC type app (mobile wallet) free across platforms for payment purposes, the underground tickets (swipe tech), menue/info reading from bar code reading of posters, friend to friend money transfer etc interestingly nothing is held on the phone it claims, so is deemed secure. BlackBerry's vision is much more far reaching but it's a good start. So not just Canada.
    Last edited by daveycrocket; 04-26-12 at 04:40 AM.
    04-26-12 04:36 AM
    The Big Three in Credit card companies (American Express, Master Card, VISA) have yet to release a blackberry app to take advantage of NFC transactions.

Right now, NFC stickers are being used. I await the time when I could use my blackberry for that.
    Uk Barclays Bank has just released the sticker app for BlackBerry Iphone and andriod
    04-26-12 04:42 AM

In Canada, it is the Banks that deal with it, and since there are fewer banks it is easier to get a unified approach. There will probably be an app from your bank, maybe in combination with your cellular provider that will provide the service.

For example Canada has the highest adoption rate of the chipped credit cards. I think the article is referring to these chipped card readers and the tap to pay readers as the devices ready to read NFC phones.
    04-26-12 06:56 AM
    Bear in mind that two of Canada's largest banks are among RIM's major shareholders. This is a way to build support for the product.
    04-26-12 09:49 AM
    Here in Ottawa (Canada's Capital - - - it's not Toronto FYI), all the new-style parking meters are equipped with NFC tags that allow you to download an app that will automatically add time/money to your parked vehicle. Haven't had a chance to use it yet though.
    04-26-12 10:21 AM
    Here in Ottawa (Canada's Capital - - - it's not Toronto FYI), all the new-style parking meters are equipped with NFC tags that allow you to download an app that will automatically add time/money to your parked vehicle. Haven't had a chance to use it yet though.
    Hey wouldn't that be great if you could put more money on remotely when you've run out of credit.

Now am I on to something here.
    04-26-12 10:28 AM
    Blackberry's Mobile payment is already "pushed" in Turkey:

Turkcell and RIM Launch NFC Mobile Wallet for BlackBerry Bold 9900 Customers in Turkey
    04-28-12 08:09 AM
    It's sad to say but I think that mobile payments with NFC will only go mainstream when the new iPhone comes out with it. its too bad RIM couldn't have made this happen and had been first to market.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    04-28-12 08:26 AM
    It's sad to say but I think that mobile payments with NFC will only go mainstream when the new iPhone comes out with it. its too bad RIM couldn't have made this happen and had been first to market.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Agree that Apple is very good at enforcing its business model on others.

They have done it to carriers and even to the Chinese manufacturers.
    It doesn't matter how many employees in those companies kill them self because of the low margin left for their company, as long as Apple increase its margin even more that is fine, and Apple keeps shoving its business model down the throat of every one else.

Now, for mobile payment, the case is a bit different.

There are more players (Banks, credit card companies, merchants, carriers, etc) and their infrastructure is needed for any successful mobile payment solution.

The question is if Apple manages to get all of those powerful and established players to accept its term.

Currently, Apple doesn't have NFC. They couldn't even get iPhone 5 out, let alone adding NFC and mobile payment.
    Last edited by Vijik; 04-28-12 at 10:39 AM.
    04-28-12 10:32 AM
    I've seen people with iPhones do NFC payments at Starbucks in Toronto. At least that's what it looked like - the customer would wave an iPhone in front of a reader device and walk away, without money or credit cards changing hands. So somebody here has implemented it.

But how secure are these payments? what if my phone gets stolen?
    04-28-12 05:56 PM
    I've seen people with iPhones do NFC payments at Starbucks in Toronto. At least that's what it looked like - the customer would wave an iPhone in front of a reader device and walk away, without money or credit cards changing hands. So somebody here has implemented it.

But how secure are these payments? what if my phone gets stolen?
    It was probably one of those NFC tag stickers used. I think starbucks has the compatible terminals. BMO has issued those tags for non-NFC (and NFC) capable smartphones.
    04-28-12 05:58 PM
    There is a big chunky accessory for iPhone (made by others and not by Apple) that has an NFC enabled uSD card in it. If you are willing to go around with that chunky accessory then, yes, you can do payment.
    If you want to do payment using uSD cards, then, with many BlackBerry models, you don't need to go around with a chunky accessory like iPhone. Because BlackBerry, unlike iPhone has a uSD port.

For payments using stickers, any phone, or even a fob can be used to do the payment.

And regarding security, do you really want to put your payment credentials in a phone that takes half an hour to jailbreak?
    Last edited by Vijik; 04-28-12 at 07:20 PM.
    04-28-12 07:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD