The BB is stolen, I have contacted the telco provider since it's under contract. They said that the only can block the number but not the BB.
    Bad thing is I haven't set BB Protect and enabled BB track location app.
    What should I do to block the stolen BB for being used and permanently disable the handset? Any idea?
    Just want to teach the culprit some lesson ...
    01-10-13 01:45 AM
    Well your provider is totally useless. Call them and ask to talk to a supervisor a reported phone once the esn is reported stolen it renders the phone useless. It will never be activated or work again. The browser would work on wifi, that's it.
    01-10-13 02:03 AM
    You can wipe it via BB Protect, but I agree with the above poster.
    01-10-13 10:52 AM
    Well your provider is totally useless. Call them and ask to talk to a supervisor a reported phone once the esn is reported stolen it renders the phone useless. It will never be activated or work again. The browser would work on wifi, that's it.
    I take it you have never been in that situation before. If it is a CDMA phone then the carrier can block the ESN. GSM phones don't use ESN's, they use IMEI's and as of June of last year there wasn't a shared blocked IMEI database amongst GSM providers in the US. Had GSM phones stolen on both Tmobile and ATT networks and was told by both carriers that only RIM could blacklist the device (probably the runaround but point is it's not as easy to achieve as one would think)
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...es-on-july-10/
    Last edited by shupor; 01-10-13 at 12:52 PM. Reason: additional info received
    01-10-13 11:30 AM
    BB Protect...never own a Blackberry without registering it
    01-10-13 03:24 PM
    Should build in a little firecracker that you can set off that will wreck the insides, detonate it thru BBP, would be hilarious, thief has it then all of a sudden puff of smoke comes up from there grubby little pocket, lul.
    01-10-13 03:52 PM
    I take it you have never been in that situation before. If it is a CDMA phone then the carrier can block the ESN. GSM phones don't use ESN's, they use IMEI's and as of June of last year there wasn't a shared blocked IMEI database amongst GSM providers in the US. Had GSM phones stolen on both Tmobile and ATT networks and was told by both carriers that only RIM could blacklist the device (probably the runaround but point is it's not as easy to achieve as one would think)
    AT&T customers can start blocking stolen devices on July 10 | Digital Trends
    So, if you don't pay your phone bill the carrier can't shut it down?
    01-11-13 02:37 PM
    Well, yes and no. They can blacklist the IMEI which would at least render the phone useless on their network. If there's blacklist sharing between carriers, the IMEI will get blacklisted on other networks too.

The only truly global block is a PIN block. That's put in place by RIM. But I'm not sure if even a PIN block prevents voice calls and SMS.
    01-11-13 04:06 PM
    GSM carriers can block your line(SIM) as well and the IMEI if they choose to do so. Where it gets tricky is the phone will work on other networks unless they share their blocked list database and as it stands, the GSM carriers in the US do not share their database as yet.

There are also tools to spoof the IMEI or void the block and the carriers know this and chances of you getting them to block your IMEI just because it is stolen are slim.

The GSM are generally reluctant to even bother putting the IMEI block on
    01-11-13 04:35 PM
    as it stands, the GSM carriers in the US do not share their database as yet.
    Actually this is not correct as of November 1 2012. See here.

The GSM are generally reluctant to even bother putting the IMEI block on
    Where are you getting this information? At least one major carrier, AT&T, has no problems blacklisting IMEI for stolen devices. T-Mobile didn't do so at the time this article was written (7/12), but they might be IMEI blocking too now.
    01-11-13 04:55 PM