Hi,

I have a new 9700 and the reach of the wifi is well below my expectations, when I compare this to my Mac Book Pro it falls short. I am getting less than 5m. (15ft) reach from my router. Is this typical and is anyone aware of any solutions to this problem ? I am on 5.0.0.545.

Thanks
    04-15-10 04:41 AM
    if you read in the wifi section it is documented that for whatever reason berry's struggle with some brands of router. i now forgot what my old router was but when i first got my 9000 it drove me insane as it went in and out all the time. alot of people were recommending the linksys by cisco routers in the wifi section. i went and got one of those and never had a problem since. sold the other on ebay.

this is the one i have now : Linksys by Cisco WRT54G2 Wireless-G Router: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
    04-15-10 04:51 AM
    I have Linksys WRT54G and it is great...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-10 05:12 AM
    Using the Linksys WRT610N and like above poster says, it is great.

04-15-10 05:46 AM
    + 1 for the WRT54G.
    04-15-10 12:58 PM
    I have a D-Link DIR-655 router and it works flawless on all 3 levels in my home! My 9700 picks it up when I am coming down the street.
    Last edited by Hup55; 04-15-10 at 01:14 PM.
    04-15-10 01:10 PM
    I have a netgear router on the 1st floor of my house. I have a billiard room on the 3rd floor, I get 3 bars out of 4 for reception on my wifi, another words it works great. I have a very cheap router so I give the credit to the great reception to my 9700.

04-16-10 05:39 PM
    Hi,

I have a new 9700 and the reach of the wifi is well below my expectations, when I compare this to my Mac Book Pro it falls short. I am getting less than 5m. (15ft) reach from my router. Is this typical and is anyone aware of any solutions to this problem ? I am on 5.0.0.545.

Thanks
    What brand is your router? Does it have external antennae? If it does, you can move them around and aim them at the areas of the house you spend the most time in.

I also vote +1000000 for linksys routers. I am using a wrt150n with ddwrt and it works perfectly, I can amp up the rf power if I need to.
    04-16-10 05:46 PM
    Well, when I clicked on this thread I was hoping to find useful replies. But, comments like "mine works fine" and " I have 3 bars" are useless.

Using the Linksys WRV210.

My home is 1600sf, single story.

The router is in the living room, 3 feet from the floor, with my entertainment center.

Using the BBerry WIFI Diagnostics screen, I checked the signal strength.

As a baseline at 1 ft from the router it reads -28 dBm.

At the opposite end of the house, (40ft +/- line of sight) while resting on the porcelain toilet in the bathroom it reads -82dBm.

I have yet to check it outside or on the neighbors toilet but stay tuned...

I hope this is useful.
    04-17-10 11:58 PM
    If your on different floors using it most likely it won't work because signals can't go "up" through walls, only spreading "out". If your in the same room then maybe try a different router.
    04-18-10 12:09 AM
    I have D-Link DIR-655 Router, TP-Link TL-WA901ND Access Point, and D-Link DAP-1360 Access Point.

9700 works best with DIR-655 and worst with DAP-1360.
    04-18-10 05:56 AM
    If your on different floors using it most likely it won't work because signals can't go "up" through walls, only spreading "out". If your in the same room then maybe try a different router.
    This is where external antenna come in handy. You can "aim" them in the direction/s you need. And if your a particularly rf unfriendly space, IE thickwalls, etc. You can build a fairly simple parabolic amplifier that fits over the antenna and directs all of the signal in on direction instead of in a sphere.
    04-18-10 09:35 AM
    This is where external antenna come in handy. You can "aim" them in the direction/s you need. And if your a particularly rf unfriendly space, IE thickwalls, etc. You can build a fairly simple parabolic amplifier that fits over the antenna and directs all of the signal in on direction instead of in a sphere.
    Oh, OK, thanks bro I didn't know that, but now I do.
    04-18-10 11:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD