I stopped using it before, but I don't see why Crackberrians are getting all riled up in a hyperbolic fashion.

I've been using Facebook freely and without worries for several years, and frankly, don't feel intimidated for doing so. Chances are if you've ever received a telemarketing call, your number is on display somewhere and probably had nothing to do with Facebook.

-you ever shared your number in contests, warranty registrations, online signups? Retailers who have your info because you wanted those discount or loyalty points?

-how many of us really spend time reading multiple fine print paragraphs when downloading the latest apps and clicking on "I agree" to the terms and services?

-big data to mine everything you do in the online world. Every click, like, tweet, re-tweet etc.

-even credit bureaus give away your info.

Big brother has been watching you for years.

Posted via CB10
    bekkay likes this.
    02-20-14 09:52 AM
    I seem to be in the minority. In spite of BBM support in South Africa, I personally have so many clients using WhatsApp that I have no choice but to continue using the rival messenger. If I refused to acknowledge WhatsApp I would get very little work.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 10:03 AM
    I installed it briefly once to contact my brother and sister who used it. Found it to be a pain and deleted it. So far I just use SMS for them, but I'd love to push them to BBM. I'm not sure if they still use WhatsApp. I doubt my sister does, but my brother might. I never liked that it works off your phone number.
    02-20-14 10:21 AM
    I tried it once and found it to be laggy and accessed too much information. I deleted it and will use BBM or SMS.
    02-20-14 10:26 AM
    I did once, then all of the people begging me to use Whatsapp began begging me to use Viber. I wonder what they'll switch to now (fingers crossed it's BBM).

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 10:34 AM
    Never used it.
    02-20-14 11:15 AM
    I only use it to keep in touch with one person who is in South Africa, so she does not have to pay exorbitant fees for texting. Also, I received a new year's message on it from a friend in Germany. It is handy for this sort of thing,so no reason to stop using it. But most of the time I just use text for domestic communications. Similarly, I only have one connection on BBM because she invited me to join when she got her Z10 (around the same time I got mine). I just don't get all the excitement over either platform...
    02-20-14 12:24 PM
    I stopped using it before, but I don't see why Crackberrians are getting all riled up in a hyperbolic fashion.

I've been using Facebook freely and without worries for several years, and frankly, don't feel intimidated for doing so. Chances are if you've ever received a telemarketing call, your number is on display somewhere and probably had nothing to do with Facebook.
    I'm in Canada, and on the No Call List so I rarely get telemarketing calls any more. And if I do I report them.
    https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/plt-cmp-eng

-you ever shared your number in contests, warranty registrations, online signups? Retailers who have your info because you wanted those discount or loyalty points?
    I did until I found out that they resell the information to third parties, including Insurance companies!
    Loyalty Reward Cards - How Your Supermarket or Pharmacy Loyalty Reward Card Can Affect Your Health and Care

-how many of us really spend time reading multiple fine print paragraphs when downloading the latest apps and clicking on "I agree" to the terms and services?
    I do, and there have been times I've cancelled the download. WhatsApp is a good example. It's fitting that Facebook bought them...

-big data to mine everything you do in the online world. Every click, like, tweet, re-tweet etc.
    They can mine online only to a small degree if you're careful about your online presence. I have multiple emails and I restrict my social presence to a 'junk' webmail address (Gmail) that is not tied to my primary online identity in any way.

-even credit bureaus give away your info.
    Only if you allow them to do so. You can opt out.
    How to Stop Credit Reporting Agencies From Selling Your Information

Big brother has been watching you for years.
    Yes He has, but now I'm watching Him! If you're well informed, you can prevent most of it from happening. You have a choice.

Posted via CB10
    LatinoLoco24 likes this.
    02-20-14 04:22 PM
    Facebook is not buying Whatsapp... Yahoo is.

Amazes me how many folks don't actually read the news...then go off half cocked with misinformation.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    Yes, when people post half cocked information it's really amazing. Your post being one of the more amazing one's I've read.
    02-20-14 07:14 PM
    Yes, when people post half cocked information it's really amazing. Your post being one of the more amazing one's I've read.
    Yup, turns out I was wrong here... having read a very early news article on Yahoo Finance stating they were buying...

Still not sure what to make of that... but I was wrong... I can admit that.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    02-20-14 07:25 PM
    Never used it and won't. Don't like the fact that it relies on Phone numbers. Prefer the PIN method used by BBM.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 08:03 PM
    I used it for a while but deleted it a couple months ago. BBM is just so much better and if someone is too much of a jerk to give BBM a try, they are not my kind of person anyway.

I found WhatsApp to be kind of a ghost town anyway. I had about 40 contacts on there and the vast majority were idle. The ones that weren't are on BBM and enjoying it.
    02-20-14 08:12 PM
    1. I don't use facebook.
    2. I don't use whatsup.
    02-20-14 08:15 PM
    I am very concerned about my privacy. Hence,

- I never use Internet.
    - I never use email.
    - I never use wireless phones either for texting, phone calls, apps, etc.
    - I never ever fill out any applications, papers, forms.

Kidding aside some people here think that, by not using WhatsApp, they insulate themselves from any privacy-related issues. Get real, folks.
    02-20-14 08:24 PM
    But to answer OP's question, I will continue using WhatsApp. I have used it for about 3 years now and have not had a single issue. I also use Facebook and I am fully aware that my information is not held private. As much as I am sure that anything else I do on the web is not secure either.
    02-20-14 08:28 PM

Kidding aside some people here think that, by not using WhatsApp, they insulate themselves from any privacy-related issues. Get real, folks.
    I don't understand why people hate whatsapp. I recall a ton of threads requesting whatsapp to support BB10, now all of sudden people are anti-whatsapp.
    bekkay likes this.
    02-20-14 08:35 PM
    I don't understand why people hate whatsapp. I recall a ton of threads requesting whatsapp to support BB10, now all of sudden people are anti-whatsapp.
    Just like "malware-infested Android apps", but with the opposite direction for the change in sentiments.
    02-20-14 08:38 PM
    I am very concerned about my privacy. Hence,

- I never use Internet.
    - I never use email.
    - I never use wireless phones either for texting, phone calls, apps, etc.
    - I never ever fill out any applications, papers, forms.

No its called mitigation

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 08:39 PM
    No its called mitigation

Posted via CB10
    I call it ignorance, confirmation bias, delusion, hypocrisy, etc. People who happily and freely use other channels of data mining single out one particular channel. And, I suspect, in most cases this is because that singled out channel happens to be a competitor to the channel that these hypothetical people favor.
    02-20-14 08:45 PM
    I call it ignorance, confirmation bias, delusion, hypocrisy, etc. People who happily and freely use other channels of data mining single out one particular channel. And, I suspect, in most cases this happens because that singled out channel is a competitor to the channel that these hypothetical people favor.
    Wait we will see, when they have a major security breach we will see many naysayers running for the hills, they now have phone numbers, Facebook info personal info contacts all together in a neat package. Do you really think what's up app is really worth 19 B? What was purchased was information.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 08:50 PM
    Wait we will see, when they have a major security breach we will see many naysayers running for the hills,
    Any company can have a security breach. Target, Bloomberg, even BlackBerry may have one. I am not sure what security breaches have to do with the topic at hand.

I hope you are not suggesting Facebook will orchestrate one deliberately. If so, you should really do the math first.
    02-20-14 08:52 PM
    Any company can have a security breach. Target, Bloomberg, even BlackBerry may have one. I am not sure what security breaches have to do with the topic at hand.
    No? You will learn soon enough, do you think that they purchased what's app for "business"? Do you really think that it's worth purchase price? Do some homework find out who the main venture capitalist who was behind FB, do a little investigation you will understand, but oh wait I know the cry, "I have nothing to hide" tin foil hats etc.

For the record if FB had acquired any part of BlackBerry I would have dropped all devices as soon as I heard or got any wind of it!
    Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 08:56 PM
    No? You will learn soon enough, do you think that they purchased what's app for "business"? Do you really think that it's worth purchase price? Do some homework find out who the main venture capitalist who was behind FB, do a little investigation you will understand, but oh wait I know the cry, "I have nothing to hide" tin foil hats etc.
    Read my previous comments. I am fully aware that what I have on the internet is not secure. That's a given.
    With that said, I do not single out WhatsApp or Facebook. That would be silly. If you dig deep enough, you'll see that most if not all companies use and share your information in one way or another.
    02-20-14 08:59 PM
    Read my previous comments. I am fully aware that what I have on the internet is not secure. That's a given.
    However, I do not single out WhatsApp or Facebook. That would be silly. If you dig deep enough, you'll see that most if not all companies use and share your information in one way or another.
    Again I told you its called mitigation, I am NOT going to market with all my eggs in one basket let's put it like that.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 09:02 PM
    Never used it, my kids had to tell me what it was. Shows my age.
    02-20-14 09:03 PM
127 12345 ...