View Poll Results: What are your battery charging habits.

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rarely leaves the charger

1 3.03%
  • 50-75%

3 9.09%
  • 25-50%

8 24.24%
  • Below 25%

17 51.52%
  • I let the device go completely dead

0 0%
  • I always carry a spare battery (if applicable)

4 12.12%
    I am curious to find out how other members go about charging their smartphone/tablet batteries.
    Maybe I can learn a thing or two.

I usually keep my devices off the charger as long as possible. However if there major software or hardware updates then I plug the device in.
    04-18-13 09:20 AM
    I'll usually shut the phone off before I go to bed and charge it overnight. If it sees heavy use and needs a little more juice during the day, i'll plug in either at the office or in the car.
    04-18-13 09:24 AM
    Charge overnight in bedside mode. If I'm driving to the office ill plug it in to the in car charger whilst I stream music.

Will plug it in at the office if needed but it's normally fine to go until bed time.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 09:31 AM
    I charge overnight in bedside mode. If streaming music or using GPS while driving, I'll plug it in, but other than that, it usually makes it through the entire day before needing to be charged again.

Posted via CB10
    KDB84 likes this.
    04-18-13 09:59 AM
    When I first got it, my PlayBook would go on the desktop charger before I went to bed and came off in the morning. More than enough charge is left to skip its nightly charge. Not using it as much since I got the Z10, so it probably goes 3 or 4 days before needing a charge.

As for my Z10, it comes off the charger at 8am when I leave for work. Depending on my day usage I may plug it in on my drive home which is usually enough boost to last it for the evening regardless of what I do (go out or stay in). Once I decide to call it a night, it goes on the charger until 8am and then the process repeats. If I know it will be a while before I can get to a charger, I will turn off LTE and just use H+ unless I know it may be a long while before getting to a charger, in that case it goes right down to EDGE.
    04-18-13 10:08 AM
    Charge it in bedside mode and battery charger bundle overnight, unplug at 7am. With these two, even when I'm trying to kill the battery I'm laughing through the day.
    04-18-13 10:40 AM
    I charge when it gets to 25-50%, but only because that's about where my Z10 ends up each day lately, when I'm not using it too heavily.

If it got below 25%, which it does under heavier use, I'd charge it then.

If it got only to 90%, I'd charge it then, at bed time.

I didn't see an option in the poll for this, but "I charge it overnight no matter what level it's at" would have been my choice.
    04-18-13 11:22 AM
    I unplug (un dock actually) when I wake up, and dock when I go to bed. Typical day is up at 6:20 am, back to bed between 10 and 11pm. Weekends up at 7am'ish and bed around 11-midnight'ish. I'm anywhere between 30% and lets say for arguement sake 5% on the low side when I dock back in. Typically i get the "battery below 20%" warning about an hour before bed time during the week (lower when on the road). Weekends I have had as much as 40% juice left at bed time (don't e-mail as much on the weekends).
    04-18-13 11:33 AM
    I charge overnight and boost it back to 100% at the office even if it's still at 50-60.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 11:33 AM
    Every night. It's usually at 20% when I'm about to go to bed, sometimes 10% on a busy day.
    04-18-13 11:35 AM
    i charge every night but some days.... rarely i might charge mid day if i need the boost like a friday or weekend
    04-18-13 11:41 AM
    Charge every night and usually plug in my charging bundle around 2 when I hit 30%. And at night again. Some days when I'm super busy it'll last all day but reading all these fourms and browsing the Internet while I'm bored kills it

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 12:58 PM
    Sometimes I use my phone so much that it's nearly dying by 5pm. So I had to resort to leaving a charger at work. But I've just ordered the battery bundle which means I should never have to leave my phone plugged in anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 03:07 PM
    I thought it was bad to leave a device plugged in overnight?

Is it not hard on the batteries longevity?

BlackBerry Z10-Go Leafs Go
    04-18-13 09:16 PM
    Z10 and PB go on to the charger before bed; whether they need it or not. Today's batteries do not need to be drained before recharge like the old rechargeables.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 12:44 AM
    I thought it was bad to leave a device plugged in overnight?

Is it not hard on the batteries longevity?
    This is not the case with modern lithium-ion based devices, as they monitor the charging process and disconnect the charger from the battery when the battery is full. (To do otherwise would actually be quite dangerous.)

You can leave your PlayBook or BB10 phone plugged in indefinitely and the only significant effect will be that your battery will be fully charged and ready for use when you unplug it in the morning. :-)
    04-19-13 08:18 AM
    I charge when it gets to 25-50%, but only because that's about where my Z10 ends up each day lately, when I'm not using it too heavily.

If it got below 25%, which it does under heavier use, I'd charge it then.

If it got only to 90%, I'd charge it then, at bed time.

I didn't see an option in the poll for this, but "I charge it overnight no matter what level it's at" would have been my choice.
    This pretty much describes my practice. I charge overnight regardless of how much is left. I've done this for every smartphone I've ever owned. In fact, I've never understood why some people don't do this. Why wouldn't you charge your phone while your sleeping and not using it? Why wouldn't you want it at 100% when you wake up and start using it? It makes no sense to me to wait until some time the following day to find a place to charge the phone.

If for whatever reason it's running down more than usual during the day, I top it up if possible.
    04-19-13 12:10 PM
    I charge mine when it goes below 25 %..and the time I usually charge it is at night in bedside mode.

The only way I'd charge it during the workday is if I use it a lot for some reason...and that doesn't happen too much.
    04-19-13 12:13 PM
    I charge my Z10 overnight in bedside mode and I tend to turn data off - no need to get emails, can't read them when I'm sleeping, can get them all in the morning and saves on the data synching throughout the night.
    I don't play any games or watch videos, but I tend to write a lot of emails/sms/bbm/whatsapp. I usually find that the battery will comfortably last me through the day until I go to bed, but I carry a bundle charger with me just in case.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 03:05 PM
    I charge mine in the car on my way to work and on my way home from work. If I need to, I charge it at home while I'm watching TV or doing something else. I rarely let my phone go below 40%.
    04-19-13 03:11 PM
    In fact, I've never understood why some people don't do this. Why wouldn't you charge your phone while your sleeping and not using it? Why wouldn't you want it at 100% when you wake up and start using it? It makes no sense to me to wait until some time the following day to find a place to charge the phone.
    It's simply fear of damaging things, based on out-of-date knowledge of past technology where leaving something on the charger would in fact damage it. It's a reasonable fear, but at this point, and with these devices, definitely an unnecessary one.
    04-20-13 08:08 AM
    Charge from 08-22:45. Off charge from 23:00-0800-work.depending on how busy my night is, battery life varies from half to under 20%
    04-20-13 10:59 AM
    I charge overnight every night regardless of the battery status.

I've noticed though, that if I put the clock into sleep mode, it takes twice as long to charge (per Battery Guru) than just leaving it to it's own devices. I'm surprised at how much juice for clock must draw.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 12:32 AM
    I've noticed though, that if I put the clock into sleep mode, it takes twice as long to charge (per Battery Guru) than just leaving it to it's own devices. I'm surprised at how much juice for clock must draw.
    It's not really the clock, just the screen. The screen is (when on) generally the single biggest consumer of power in the system. If you are using the regular charger instead of the rapid (or PlayBook) charger, having the screen on would tend to slow down the charging.

Reducing the brightness as much as is comfortable (in the Display settings) is the very first step any new user should be advised to do.
    04-21-13 08:03 PM
    I charge overnight and carry an extra battery. If I go below 25% during the course of a day (rarely), I change the battery and charge both at night
    04-21-13 08:09 PM
31 12