View Poll Results: Should Thorsten Heins Resign?

Voters
326. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

102 31.29%
  • No

224 68.71%
    My opinion is clearly yes, he's great CTO, phones are awesome, but he has been unsuccessful in his role as CEO.

What do you all think?
    07-03-13 05:08 AM
    Wrong guy for the job; he should have been named the Chief Operating Office.
    No communications skills, can't/won't manage investor expectations. Could be a good internal leader (hence a good COO) but he is in the wrong job.
    JR A, LudwigvonKast and dmlis like this.
    07-03-13 05:20 AM
    Doesn't really matter. It's like handing off the Titanic to a new captain after it already hit the iceberg. No matter who's in charge, it's still going down.
    07-03-13 05:33 AM
    As always random people know always better.
    How often have you been CEO in your life?
    slade632, mk2234, dusdal and 5 others like this.
    07-03-13 05:36 AM
    As always random people know always better.
    How often have you been CEO in your life?
    What's your point? A question was asked. People can and will give their opinions, even if you disagree with them.

OK, everything is fine. Is that your random opinion.
    07-03-13 05:39 AM
    OP, I am not very good at remembering dates but it has been what a year and half since Heins took over? Do you realize that it took ex-CEOs about 3-4 years to destroy this company, and rebuilding takes much, much longer than that. BB is more stable than it has been in the past, getting slapped with lawsuits left and right, not delivering handsets on time. Under current management, it is somewhat stable than before. That doesn't mean Heins is all perfect, his BB10 presentation was horrible. He didn't sound enthusiastic, a very monotone presentation. He is not the man to market products. He tried very hard to make the presentation interesting but honestly as a diehard bb fan, i had to facepalm a few times. So no he doesn't need to step down, just have someone else take care of presentations and announcements.
    07-03-13 05:50 AM
    Heins is doing a great job.

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    07-03-13 06:01 AM
    Marissa Mayer would have done better IMO. Everyone on these boards laughed at Yahoo and have them zero chance. Look where they are now.
    Joel Diplan likes this.
    07-03-13 06:31 AM
    Heins is really good but made mistakes:
    -licensing and partnerships are key(certainly in difficult ereas)
    -margins not that important(reward carries when things go nice)now
    -marketing failed completely(use web demo's,go to concerts,make touring blackberry busses,demo's in all starbucks,use the web,...)
    -why the news on playbook now(very stupid),hurting your fan base
    -Heins forgetting the pain of shareholders:use twitter and crackberry to frighten shorters(very painfull)
    -no carrier software updates anymore,simplify blackberry.com
    -don't stop supporting apps,spend even more
    -spread bb10 now,create a bidding war for using bb10 in smartphones,tablets,...
    -partnerships with mid companies are key,blackberry has too much opportunities to waste(outsource now)
    -poor defending in conference call(blackberry is best company in the world)
    -pay media and carriers
    -good luck Thorsten Heins
    07-03-13 06:44 AM
    Marissa Mayer would have done better IMO. Everyone on these boards laughed at Yahoo and have them zero chance. Look where they are now.
    Hindsight and Monday morning quarterbacking... I'm sure you were throwing her name out when Mike and Jim were running the company into a stagnant spiral.

Heins was in a tough spot when he took over the company, and that hasn't changed. I think he has the right long term plan, I question as to whether or not he has the people under him to accomplish that plan. Heins has put together his own C-level team, but are any of them the change agents that are needed to execute the new strategy that BlackBerry wants to put in place? Change is hard, but often must be done. BlackBerry's main weakness seems to be that they haven't managed that change by re-orienting shareholder and consumer expectations. Part of that is delivery, and public speaking is not Thorsten's strongest suit; which is fine since there are others in the company who can do that so well. The CEO is supposed to have a vision, which he seems to have, and put the right people in place to execute that vision. The jury is certainly out the latter, but I keep thinking that maybe what the management team needs is a little more meanness: change agents usually aren't popular but they get results. Think of Steven Sinofsky at Microsoft: when he came to the Windows group after Vista, he was just what they needed to get Windows 7. Yes, it ended up with him leaving the company, but a change agent generally doesn't have a long tenure at a company.
    Eric Shapiro likes this.
    07-03-13 06:48 AM
    Whatever the CEO, the company will disappear, just a matter of time.
    07-03-13 06:51 AM
    I suggest ADMINS to close thread!!

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 06:57 AM
    I suggest ADMINS to close thread!!

Posted via CB10
    Why?
    07-03-13 07:00 AM
    Why?
    Because it is a waste of time

Posted via CB10
    mk2234 likes this.
    07-03-13 07:02 AM
    I personally think he's doing a good job. All this 'BlackBerry is dead' sounds like the same shi t I heard during the transition and guess who's still here?

Nice Titanic analogy earlier is this thread but let's think of this.

The titanic sunk because when the captain saw the iceberg he tried to avoid it when it was inevitable to hit it. Because he avoided and turned, the iceberg sliced the side open like a can opener.

Now engineers have said that the way the titanic was designed, had the captain hit it head on. There would have been damage but it wouldn't have sunk.

I know it's a long story getting to my point but the fact of the matter is sometimes you got to hit the road blocks.

BlackBerry has hit the iceberg. Hit it head on. But they are still here and building a bigger and better machine.

I personally look forward to what they introduce in the future. As it gets into the 'Mobile Computing'

Just my 2 cents

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 07:02 AM
    I've got the solution. He and Mohamed Morsi should switch places. Morsi can run BBRY and Heins can be the new president of Egypt.
    Fuzzballz and The Aficionado like this.
    07-03-13 07:06 AM
    Because it is a waste of time

Posted via CB10
    Ah - good to know that all threads that you deem to be irrelevant should be shut down.
    07-03-13 07:07 AM
    I've got the solution. He and Mohamed Morsi should switch places. Morsi can run BBRY and Heins can be the new president of Egypt.
    Riots in Waterloo?
    melnomo likes this.
    07-03-13 07:07 AM
    Riots in Waterloo?
    Egyptians surely know how to throw a massive rave!
    07-03-13 07:10 AM
    BB is a big company managing lots of product lines with individual life cycles. Also, consider the services they maintain and their future offerings...it's a big job. Heins should remain as CEO to see his plan come to fruition. Like a large ocean liner, it takes a lot of time and effort to turn it around admidst tumultuous seas. Give 'em a chance to succeed. The previous CEO's didn't.

Go BB!
    mk2234 and Jake Storm like this.
    07-03-13 07:39 AM
    Okay, please clean up you calculations : %!?
    07-03-13 07:54 AM
    Why should he, a year has not even gone by since the release of bb10. Second, we haven't reach the two busiest cell phone buying seasons yet; back to school and Christmas. If BlackBerry 10 is averaging only 2 million after those two seasons then we have a problem. They will have a reason to replace him then.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 08:04 AM
    What I don't get: When BB has sold 3.6 Million BB10 devices - the street expectations - then everything would have been great now. Bright future.
    But with 2.7, which is 25 percent less than expectation - BB now is doomed, a sinking ship, over and out.
    Is there only black and white?

When TH steps back - this would be a signal, that BB doe's not trust in the current strategy. This would clearly be the end of BB as a hardware company.
    mk2234 likes this.
    07-03-13 08:16 AM
    Why?
    this is a community thread and an open forum, you know where people come to discuss what's on their minds.
    07-03-13 08:19 AM
    How about Buck Showalter? That guy flips franchises like they are pancakes!

Any baseball fans here? No? ok I'll stop.
    Jahcure likes this.
    07-03-13 08:20 AM
100 123 ...