View Poll Results: How useful do you find Android's Recents feature?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use it all the time and have no complaints

1 33.33%
  • Only using it to find very recent apps

1 33.33%
  • I hardly ever use it because it's faster to just click the original icon

1 33.33%
    As you know, the recents feature of Android basically shows you all the recent apps you have used. If you clear all recents entries, it will also free up some memory. However, the thinking is that it would be counter-productive to clear too often since it will take less time to restore/switch to those recently used apps.

Personally I find the recents screen gets clogged up too fast, and tends to look unruly after a period of time. I find myself often just searching for the source icon in order to launch an app, as opposed to going to the recents screen to find something. The only time I will find going to the recents faster, is if it's an app I just used within a short window of multitasking. Aside from that, it's just far quicker to tap on the actual icon instead of scanning old recents entries to see if I used that app. This is why I find that BB10 and BBOS's method was nicer, as they only show the active apps and not every single item in history (open. closed, etc).

Having said that, it would be nice to see some refinements to this feature. For example:

Ability to limit the number of apps shown
    Auto-clear recents after a certain period of time
    Option to show only active apps, and not historical view of all recent apps used

In Nougat, they finally implemented a feature to flip back to the last used app by double clicking the recents button. A welcome feature, but why did this take so long to implement.

I'm curious to hear feedback from other Android users, especially those using BlackBerry Priv/Dtek line of phones.
    06-12-17 09:40 AM
    Seems everyone is too obsessed with the KEYone, can't even get a reply.
    06-13-17 04:19 PM
    I use this feature all the time! I think it's a very nice addition.
    06-13-17 04:44 PM
    Coming from BB10, I don't like the "recents" feature at all. I agree that it gets congested with so many irrelevant windows. When I go into the settings screen, and then I leave it, there's no reason for it to stay open in the background. I find myself just clearing everything out about 10 times a day.
    terminatorx likes this.
    06-13-17 10:55 PM
    Its become a basic function for my usage.
    06-13-17 11:05 PM
    That features been on my Samsung tablets since I don't know when. I close everything when I'm done. I don't like them staying open. Same for the phone.
    06-13-17 11:50 PM
    Coming from BB10, I don't like the "recents" feature at all. I agree that it gets congested with so many irrelevant windows. When I go into the settings screen, and then I leave it, there's no reason for it to stay open in the background. I find myself just clearing everything out about 10 times a day.
    I know, same here. I've developed this bad or annoying habit where I am continually checking the recents screen, only to clear when it looks messy.
    06-14-17 09:28 AM
    For it's purpose, it works.

I prefer the more integrated nature of multitasking with webOS and BlackBerry 10 but for app switching, it works.

Do I clear it? Not really, only on the rare occasion something is misbehaving.

However, BlackBerry's Tiles layout has become a minor feature that I greatly appreciate. With the default Rolodex view, I often hit the wrong app if it's not the most recent one and scrolling through isn't the best experience.
    terminatorx likes this.
    06-14-17 11:03 AM
    It's an old habit of mine to close apps, programs or whatever when I'm done with them. I know everyone says just let the OS take care of it but habits die hard lol
    06-14-17 11:26 AM