From what I've read/heard, BARELY anything works with wifi. When I use wiki to connect to sites like mobile.blackberry.com, it doesn't seem to recognize I am using a mobile browser. I cant download anything without the data plan, cant use any free im client without the dataplan. What can I do with wifi? Why would I need wifi? I mean, the phone has it, but what is useful about having it?
    06-12-08 08:50 AM
    All my stuff work ehwn I am using it. I use it at work home and other hot spots no problems.
    06-12-08 08:56 AM
    With wifi and uma and the talk forever plan you can make and receive calls without taking from your mins. bucket (unlimited). When u r connected to wifi your data speed also kicks in for faster browsing speed and downloads etc... Your phone works faster!
    06-12-08 09:06 AM
    looks like theres no need for WIFI when you have an unlimited everything plan...just wut, speed!?

i'll be aight
    06-12-08 09:13 AM
    From what I've read/heard, BARELY anything works with wifi. When I use wiki to connect to sites like mobile.blackberry.com, it doesn't seem to recognize I am using a mobile browser. I cant download anything without the data plan, cant use any free im client without the dataplan. What can I do with wifi? Why would I need wifi? I mean, the phone has it, but what is useful about having it?
    I know what you mean... sometimes the browsing experience with WiFi still has limits when you do not have a BB data plan along side it.

The purpose of the WiFi is to allow for faster browsing along with WiFi calling over UMA. IF you do not have a data plan, which it sounds like you do not, a lot of things are still limited!

You need a data plan to activate most apps before they can be used. You can DL apps onto you phone and install the app, but without a data plan the activation is not possible. A lot of apps only support WiFi once you activated them (so you need a data plan along side the use of WiFi).

As for the browsing issues, you can tweak settings so it loads as a mobile page, and not as an IE page. You can go into the options when you are in the browser by pushing the menu button.

You can browse the web on the WiFi without a data plan, no problem. But the use of other apps (etc) is limited.

The MAIN use of the WiFi that I have found is for calling over UMA. This is great and there are topics solely dedicated to UMA and WiFi calling. I really love it... easy to use, good quality, can't tell difference from EDGE!! Trasfers to EDGE without a hitch when you go outta range of the WiFi.

Good luck and I hope that I could help you out!!
    06-12-08 09:18 AM
    I know what you mean... sometimes the browsing experience with WiFi still has limits when you do not have a BB data plan along side it.

The purpose of the WiFi is to allow for faster browsing along with WiFi calling over UMA. IF you do not have a data plan, which it sounds like you do not, a lot of things are still limited!

You need a data plan to activate most apps before they can be used. You can DL apps onto you phone and install the app, but without a data plan the activation is not possible. A lot of apps only support WiFi once you activated them (so you need a data plan along side the use of WiFi).

As for the browsing issues, you can tweak settings so it loads as a mobile page, and not as an IE page. You can go into the options when you are in the browser by pushing the menu button.

You can browse the web on the WiFi without a data plan, no problem. But the use of other apps (etc) is limited.

The MAIN use of the WiFi that I have found is for calling over UMA. This is great and there are topics solely dedicated to UMA and WiFi calling. I really love it... easy to use, good quality, can't tell difference from EDGE!! Trasfers to EDGE without a hitch when you go outta range of the WiFi.

Good luck and I hope that I could help you out!!
    Does anyone know specifically which programs can't be activated without a Data Plan? I don't have a Blackberry yet but I'm strongly considering getting the Bold when it comes out. I'm just wondering if I would do it an injustice if I didn't get a data plan and tried to get by on the Wi-Fi at home and work.
    06-12-08 11:10 AM
    Does anyone know specifically which programs can't be activated without a Data Plan?...
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Virtually all third party application fail to start without the infrastructure of BIS.

Nearly all games are sold by billing to your plan, without one, you can not buy or install them.

The BlackBerry Browser is the only Wifi application. However, a Browser is pretty useful in itself. It is the Internet.
    06-12-08 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD