On there weekly podcast the guys over at Pocket now read a piece of listener mail about the BlackBerry Passport. Needless to say they were all rather shocked and bewildered by this huge phone and there basic take away that this form factor won't sell well in the US.

Smartphone giveaway, guest MKBHD, and the start of an all-new podcast! | Pocketnow Weekly 101 (Hangout) | Pocketnow

Timecode 1:34:30

I can't say as I can find fault with there argument though. For typing and battery life this device will be top notch. For anyone who spends most of their time on their phone typing and doing other business things this phone will likely be the best option on the market. I this is the audience that BlackBerry is trying to sell to but it is a small number of people (10 millions phones a year?)

What BlackBerry needs to help move in into more of a consumer space while still give the business community what they want, and I've said this time and time again. WE WANT A SLIDER!

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 07:21 AM
    True it is targeted towards business professionals forsure. Although a small number of devices is 10 million? If they can sell 10 million of these Passport devices alone then BlackBerry is in a great position!! I believe Chen said at the earnings call that they need to sell 10 million devices (in total) to make hardware profitable for the company.

If they can sell that many of 1 device alone then add the others on top and BlackBerry is really turning things around!!

10 million would be an amazing number of sales!

Posted via CB10
    1raygin likes this.
    06-21-14 07:24 AM
    Want success when? Better trust Chen.
    I'm sure a slider will come but for the immediate future it's all about enterprise me thinks.

Eazzy Peazzy
    06-21-14 07:29 AM
    For me a slider just makes the most sense. I love my Q10 for typing but the aspect ratio is my one biggest complaint. It makes watching videos a giant pain and limits the apps that can run on my device.

I have some arthritis in my hands that make typing on a piece of glass a giant pain to say the least. I live the Q10 for getting stuff done, but I also on occasion like to watch some Netflix or play a game or two to kill some time. For BYOB a 4.5"-4.7" slider would be the best solution. A great physical keyboard to get work done and a big screen to use when the work is done.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by epyon52328; 06-21-14 at 08:30 AM.
    06-21-14 07:37 AM
    I'm bet they were saying the same thing about the Samsung note.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 and stanhanks like this.
    06-21-14 07:58 AM
    Not sure if JC and BlackBerry's major investors are on the same page. 10 million handsets a year is not a lot of money. Watsa runs a hedge fund and they won't settle for minor gains. If they don't get the return they're seeking and share price continues to hover below $15 a share, he's gonna take their investment elsewhere.
    06-21-14 08:00 AM
    The thing is made for business and if consumers went it too all the better. I just hope it does enough.
    06-21-14 08:07 AM
    People always react this way (with apprehension) when faced with something new and unfamiliar. The fact that people are reacting this way is promising,.. as it shows that BlackBerry might finally actually have something that's recognized by the general public as new and unfamiliar.

And perhaps even more promising is the fact that it's being paired with the classic, it's entire purpose (and name) being to be so familiar compared to the older devices that people that still want that will upgrade without hesitation (maybe without even knowing it's that much different).

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by AnimalPak200; 06-21-14 at 09:11 PM.
    06-21-14 08:07 AM
    The thing is made for business and if consumers went it too all the better. I just hope it does enough.
    Not sure about Consumer market because the Passport is a keyboard phone. I have not seen a smartphone in the wild with a physical keyboard in the past 2 years. Even if Samsung launched a keyboard phone with all their marketing muscle it would be a tough sell
    kbz1960 and mornhavon like this.
    06-21-14 08:14 AM
    Not sure about Consumer market because the Passport is a keyboard phone. I have not seen a smartphone in the wild with a physical keyboard in the past 2 years. Even if Samsung launched a keyboard phone with all their marketing muscle it would be a tough sell
    Like yourself I haven't seem a Qwerty smartphone in the wild for several years and although Samsung does make a Qwerty slider (the Stratosphere line) they are mid tier at best and poorly build with no marketing. BlackBerry is one of the few still making Qwerty smartphones and the only ones to make them with flagship specs.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 08:29 AM
    Like yourself I haven't seem a Qwerty smartphone in the wild for several years and although Samsung does make a Qwerty slider (the Stratosphere line) they are mid tier at best and poorly build with no marketing. BlackBerry is one of the few still making Qwerty smartphones and the only ones to make them with flagship specs.

Posted via CB10
    One thing's for sure, BlackBerry is the King of Keyboard phones. No one comes close even with Nokia six years ago
    kbz1960 and jhumel23 like this.
    06-21-14 08:35 AM
    The one thing you have to admit is this phone has people intrigued. It's uniqueness is at least making people talk about and give it a look to form an opinion. BlackBerry needs to produce some proper press shots like CB has because their computer renderings look terrible compared to live shots.
    Alattin Simsek likes this.
    06-21-14 08:37 AM
    I will admit it is an intriguing device.

But I can't see how typing will be improved based on the size of the device vs the size and position of the keyboard. seems like it may require two hands at all times to use.

Also not feeling the 1:1 screen and large top bezel.

Amazon's app store is a joke. I know I've been using it since day one. It sucks. It just does.

I will definitely check it out once it's released. I will withhold judgement until then.
    kbz1960 and mornhavon like this.
    06-21-14 08:40 AM
    Not sure if JC and BlackBerry's major investors are on the same page. 10 million handsets a year is not a lot of money. Watsa runs a hedge fund and they won't settle for minor gains. If they don't get the return they're seeking and share price continues to hover below $15 a share, he's gonna take their investment elsewhere.
    Watsa is a value investor, and in for the long run. Makes out an undervalued brand or spots a possible turnaround story and just buys, without making too much of a kerfuffle...

The $4.7b spectacle to take the company private was rather unusual ...

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    anon(3750701) likes this.
    06-21-14 08:43 AM
    Passport will be ideal for many kinds of medical professionals who need access to reports, records, and images like x-rays and CAT scans.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    06-21-14 08:44 AM
    All I know is they have at least 1 sold as soon as I can buy it.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt and ESCON like this.
    06-21-14 08:46 AM
    Passport will be ideal for many kinds of medical professionals who need access to reports, records, and images like x-rays and CAT scans.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    Techs and engineers too, ideal for PDF manuals. One gripe I have with the Q10, PDFs are so awkward to read, even in reader mode with enlarged fonts, because then you can only see limited content.

06-21-14 08:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    Looks like you can make that 2

wincyUt and Z30Commission like this.
    06-21-14 08:51 AM
    The one thing you have to admit is this phone has people intrigued. It's uniqueness is at least making people talk about and give it a look to form an opinion. BlackBerry needs to produce some proper press shots like CB has because their computer renderings look terrible compared to live shots.
    Ture but a lot of sites aren't reporting on this phone. Pocketnow didn't have any story about this in either their daily podcast or on there website. The only reason this got talked about at all is I took the initiative and wrote into they to ask them about it.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 08:57 AM
    Keep in mind that they are only talking about the handset side of the business. In order to not lose money on handsets, they need to sell about 10 million a year. As a company, however, they can turn a profit on less but Chen wants to be profitable in the hardware as well.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 08:57 AM
    Make that at least two.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 08:58 AM
    Looks like you can make that 2

Eazzy Peazzy
    06-21-14 09:17 AM
    Keep in mind that they are only talking about the handset side of the business. In order to not lose money on handsets, they need to sell about 10 million a year. As a company, however, they can turn a profit on less but Chen wants to be profitable in the hardware as well.

Posted via CB10
    True. Got it.
    06-21-14 09:30 AM
    Let's hope this phone is Blackberry's iPhone moment, where they build a device that people don't yet realize they need.
    06-21-14 09:53 AM
    Ture but a lot of sites aren't reporting on this phone. Pocketnow didn't have any story about this in either their daily podcast or on there website. The only reason this got talked about at all is I took the initiative and wrote into they to ask them about it.

Posted via CB10
    Read the comments on this Engadget article. Usually they are pretty negative towards BlackBerry but there is a noticeable positive tone towards this phone and people wanting to know more (aside from the usual trolls)

The Passport is BlackBerry's newest, oddest-looking smartphone
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-21-14 10:18 AM
107 123 ...